Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Morning Mobilization May 26, 2013, 10:12 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on May 21, 2013, 08:50:
Redmask wrote on May 20, 2013, 18:50:
RollinThundr wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:46:
Honestly Beamer if you didn't come off like a know it all ahole 9 out of 10 times people wouldn't call you on it. Just saying.

Coming from you this post is the ultimate irony.

Um whatever, I admit when I'm wrong and have done so more than once, more than I can say for most of the left leaners on this site.

No you haven't. You've been proven wrong, there's a difference.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2013, 09:13 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on May 21, 2013, 09:05:
This thread really sucks just FYI
Nahh it's alright. It is good entertainment, if you are into dramas and stuff

Steam: SpectralMeat

46. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2013, 09:05 Verno

This thread really sucks just FYI  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

45. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2013, 08:50 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on May 20, 2013, 18:50:
Honestly Beamer if you didn't come off like a know it all ahole 9 out of 10 times people wouldn't call you on it. Just saying.

Um whatever, I admit when I'm wrong and have done so more than once, more than I can say for most of the left leaners on this site.

44. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2013, 07:38 InBlack

Quinn wrote on May 21, 2013, 06:23:
What a fun read, this thread!

One guy (Beamer in this case) has a point, somehow gets antagonized by a few and the rest of the crowd just hoots along. Most of you would be in the second front row of a lynching mob, simply invigorated by the hooting and cussing of the first few who start randomly attacking a person.

Beamer pointed out a few facts, albeit withholding an obviously much wanted (by the Blues community) enthusiasm for the 18 year old girl. Later on he "corrected" himself by explicitly mentioning how he indeed found it impressive of an 18 year old girl to do something like this.

But still he was being kicked and punched, the substantiality of his comments ignored, with all o' ye hooting and cheering and drooling like rabid dogs on crack.

Hilarious. Frustrating, too.

Actually he got led on by two regular trolls here on Blues, ever hear of the phrase 'dont feed the trolls'? He also chose to treat the article as a populist piece and chose to interpret the 'facts' presented by the article as being completely faceticious. His condescending attitude didnt help any either. Sorry dude but he brought it on himself, also your equating the entirety of the Bluesnews community with a lynch mob for something as harmless as laughing at someone's behaviour on an internet board was really the worst part of this three page read. I assume you have excluded yourself from said community right?

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2013, 06:23 Quinn

What a fun read, this thread!

One guy (Beamer in this case) has a point, somehow gets antagonized by a few and the rest of the crowd just hoots along. Most of you would be in the second front row of a lynching mob, simply invigorated by the hooting and cussing of the first few who start randomly attacking a person.

Beamer pointed out a few facts, albeit withholding an obviously much wanted (by the Blues community) enthusiasm for the 18 year old girl. Later on he "corrected" himself by explicitly mentioning how he indeed found it impressive of an 18 year old girl to do something like this.

But still he was being kicked and punched, the substantiality of his comments ignored, with all o' ye hooting and cheering and drooling like rabid dogs on crack.

Hilarious. Frustrating, too.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

42. Re: Morning Mobilization May 21, 2013, 01:21 Cutter

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:36:
TurdFergasun wrote on May 20, 2013, 16:41:
BobBob wrote on May 20, 2013, 16:11:
Person:

A) A kids throws a baseball, 3 strikes, takes out the batter. Good job! You saw how the pros do it. You can do it too! You can aspire to be great! The crowd joins in cheering the kid.

B) A kid throws a baseball, 3 strikes, takes out the batter. You just copied that guy you saw on TV! You are so fake! You do not deserve any sort of praise. I cannot believe anyone would cheer you on!

Which person are you?

he's neither, because none of those situations let the person turn the story around to have themselves as the main part of the conversation, and then get to bleat on about it for 10 posts.

If people like you and BobBob would stop attacking me then it wouldn't, eh?

Will miracles never cease? Twice in one day we're on the same page.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

41. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 21:48 Cyanotetyphas

Here's what instinct tells me about reading the story:

She tied for 2nd. Unless you think the judges are idiots, it seems more likely that the news picked up on the populist aspects of the application of such a technology. Just as the guy who beat her probably hasn't created the self driving car, and the guy who tied with her isn't putting nuclear physicists out of the job, it seems obvious that its probably more proof of concept that would take years of engineering to make practical.

No university is hiding technology from anybody, you can't assume a breakthrough is practical just because it's cool. Sometimes the cost of making it practical would benefit society, such as with GE and the electric car in 00's, but they're not a charity.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

40. Re: More Big Picture Details May 20, 2013, 20:07 HorrorScope

These are just a few, there are several others working on similar results:

39. Re: More Big Picture Details May 20, 2013, 19:02 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:38:
For once we agree. Holy moly! Hope it makes her rich beyond her wildest dreams! If they can scale this up practically for electric cars, as they mention, this really could be a game changer for the world.

This is my overall point, there are several other facilities working on things similar with many scientists, the girl to me is a nice Today show story, perhaps she has something to add, but it is all similar to other experiments over the past 2 years. All of them are small, instant charge, slow discharge. This should be breaking news like a bomb blowing up a state, wall to f'n wall. There should be a million people waiting outside to make sure an oil company doesn't buy it up. Because this would be one of the greatest breakthroughs ever. So many pigs would hate getting this out to us.

38. Re: More Big Picture Details May 20, 2013, 18:57 HorrorScope

Eirikrautha wrote on May 20, 2013, 16:06:
HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:24:
But any time you can get more energy back than you put in, that is winning big and the numbers they are quoting in tests are a lot more back then what you put in, total energy game changer.

Uhhh, no. Anytime you get more energy out than you put in, you're violating the laws of physics. That's not what's happening here.

The problem with cellphone charging is that the standard outlet could charge a battery almost instantly, because the power outlet has a far greater current than the battery releases. It would be like filling your 5-gallon bucket with a fire hose. But charging that quickly degrades the chemical cell of the battery, so that it will hold significantly less charge the next time.

What a supercapacitor does is reduce the "damage" done by filling the battery quickly (using a different storage technology). So it fills much more quickly and conveniently. But it doesn't give more energy. Your vacuum cleaner uses more power in a minute than your cell phone does in a week... so it's simply a matter of storage...

I'm still working, but google "university of illinois battery technology", this is just one place working on battery tech. There are some others, all of them are talking about breaking some barriers. Laws or not. There are some that are 400x smaller then previous tech, can store as good or better and can charge near instantaneous.

37. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 18:50 Redmask

36. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 18:29 eRe4s3r

Thanks Never seen these but those flash lights do look fancy... though I have some with a crank and solar module that recharges them without cranking.. which I think is a lot fancier ;p Although it takes like a day worth of sun to recharge it, but it's brighter and broader than any flashlight I have ever seen before

35. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:46 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:36:
Person:

A) A kids throws a baseball, 3 strikes, takes out the batter. Good job! You saw how the pros do it. You can do it too! You can aspire to be great! The crowd joins in cheering the kid.

B) A kid throws a baseball, 3 strikes, takes out the batter. You just copied that guy you saw on TV! You are so fake! You do not deserve any sort of praise. I cannot believe anyone would cheer you on!

Which person are you?

he's neither, because none of those situations let the person turn the story around to have themselves as the main part of the conversation, and then get to bleat on about it for 10 posts.

34. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:38 Cutter

RollinThundr wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:10:
Beamer wrote on May 20, 2013, 10:03:
InBlack wrote on May 20, 2013, 09:30:
Holy shit, thats fucking impressive (battery charge story). I seriously hope nothing bad happens to that girl and that the device makes it to the market and into batteries of all sorts (including electric cars).

It's not news. It's a minor variation of existing technology. It's only making headlines because she's 18, not because it did anything new or unexpected.

Seriously, supercapacitors have been around for 60 years. She just made one and used it to power an LED. Industrial labs were doing that a decade ago.

So then why don't we have supercapacitors already in cell phones that won't destroy the innards? If this girl found a way to do so that allows cell phones to charge instantly and last for hours, it certainly is big news.

For once we agree. Holy moly! Hope it makes her rich beyond her wildest dreams! If they can scale this up practically for electric cars, as they mention, this really could be a game changer for the world.

I don't think it's her age that's impressive so much as the fact that if she's that sort of a savant who can create something like this at her age who knows what else the future may hold. Impressive. Most impressive.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

33. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:36 Beamer

Person:

Which person are you?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:35 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:29:
Gib007 wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:06:
So how does an 18-year-old get the equipment to physically be able to construct said prototype of a supercapacitor?

What? Your high school didn't offer nanochemistry?

The first place went to a 19 year old that hacked together an automated driving system using a webcam.

Yup. That was awesome.
But it isn't like Google suddenly shat itself because this 19 year old created something they couldn't.

People that are making claims like this totally miss the point of these competitions. They're not about changing the world. They're about young people achieving things that, while not world-shattering, are ridiculously impressive given the age and resources.

-------------

31. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:34 Beamer

Person:

Which person are you?

Neither you dolt.
Kid pitches a no-hitter in HS. People start saying "wow, I can't wait until this kid wins a world series and makes the hall of fame first ballot, it's guaranteed!" I say "well, it's a huge accomplishment, but not all of the people that pitch perfect games in the majors win a world series, let alone make the hall of fame, first ballot. BobBob says "STOP HATING YOU JEALOUS PERSON!"

Again, you're being a dolt. I'm not saying this isn't a big deal for someone her age. I'm saying it isn't the single breakthrough needed to make this a technology in our cellphones like the casual news reports, and some people in this thread, are claiming.

Do you see how there's a huge gulf between what I'm saying and what you think I'm saying, as well as between some of the responses to this news and reality?
If you think that we'll have this technology in our phones in 3 years because this girl did this you're nuts. If you think this girl just accomplished something pretty major for an 18 year old girl without a serious electroengineering degree and a lab then you're right.

Hell, your stupid scenario claims I'm saying she copied something. I'm not, in any way, saying that.

-------------

30. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:29 DangerDog

Gib007 wrote on May 20, 2013, 17:06:
So how does an 18-year-old get the equipment to physically be able to construct said prototype of a supercapacitor?

What? Your high school didn't offer nanochemistry?

The first place went to a 19 year old that hacked together an automated driving system using a webcam.

29. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2013, 17:06 Gib007

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo