Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Congrats to the Pacers, who polished off the Knicks this weekend to earn the unenviable chance to take on the Heat in the semis. I wonder how much money free agent J.R. Smith cost himself by reverting to form from sixth man of the year back into "what was he thinking?" guy? Things didn't go any better for the Rangers, so it was a rough weekend in the sports department. But our little spate of rain was not so rough, especially in light of the tornados battering the middle of the country, which sound pretty wicked, so hopefully everybody in tornado alley has their hatches properly battened down and everyone stays safe.

Safe Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Car Eats Car 2: Mad Dreams.
RocketPets.
Stories: Star Trek Into Darkness Weak $84 Million Domestic Box Office Follows Paramount Video Game Flop.
Science: Human embryonic stem cells created from adult tissue for first time.
By Man or Nature, Places That Will Never Be the Same.
Media: F-111 Belly Landing.
Laser Lit Alcohol Rocket Bottles!.
Reggie Watts - Best Rick Roll EVER.
"The Great Gatsby" 3D Scenes Are A Little Much.
Follow-Up: Measles surges in UK years after vaccine scare.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 09:33 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on May 21, 2013, 09:05:
That brings up a good point - how much time has passed between the two movies? I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere...
Yeah, it isn't made clear. The movie starts out with the Enterprise out on a mission. But no indication (that I noticed anyway) is given of how long or how many missions have been done since the end of the first film.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 09:05 nin

these two characters dont share a lifetime of experience and friendship yet.

That brings up a good point - how much time has passed between the two movies? I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2013, 03:43 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on May 20, 2013, 13:54:
$84m puts ST:ID into top 40 all time openings. That's pretty good. Unfortunately, number 2 on the list opened a couple of weeks ago: Iron Man 3. That's a rough comparison. I thought Star Trek was a better movie, though.

@ InBlack, could you explain what you mean using the Secret text?

Ok Spoliers in secret:

At one point the bad guy teleports from Earth to the Klingon Homeworld Qronos, its never explained why exactly and why do they need ships if they can do that? At another point the Enterprise travels to the edge of the neutral zone in like five minutes, from where it launches a shuttle to the Klingon Homeworld which is like just accross the border????(without being challenged or discovered or anything). Makes the Klingons look really, really incompetent. Then there is a chase scene back to Earth where the Enterprise travels the whole distance in like 37 seconds...just WTF?? Then there is a whole Kirk (semi)death scene where Spock goes all apeshit which is waay overacted, the dialogue is overwritten and contrived because unlike Wrath of Khan these two characters dont share a lifetime of experience and friendship yet. Its just cringeworthy....

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 05:41.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 19:11 mch

Good lord, thoughts for Oklahoma and other affected areas.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 17:32 Cutter

Well the Knicks may not have pulled through, Blue, but there's always the Knickerbockers!

Anyway was down for a party in wine country in Niagara last night and it was good time had by all. Always good to get out of the city and go get bombed in the country.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 16:38 nin

The Half Elf wrote on May 20, 2013, 16:35:
Trek 2 was ok... still rather tired of the re-tred of beer sets for engineering etc.

Now what was f'ing amazing was seeing the Man of Steel Trailer in IMAX 3D.

I'm thinking that George Clooney movie Gravity will look great in imax...but they may need to provide barf bags...

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 16:35 The Half Elf

Trek 2 was ok... still rather tired of the re-tred of beer sets for engineering etc.

Now what was f'ing amazing was seeing the Man of Steel Trailer in IMAX 3D.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 15:55 Linksil

Okay, IM3 was way better then IM2. Second Star Trek felt like they were just rehashing the first movie over again (Characters all making the same mistakes) and the twists that weren't even really twists. Now I enjoyed both movies... I wasn't expecting either to be this groundbreaking make you think movie. They both played their parts and did it well. I think part of this is trying to recreate the second ST movie in reboot form without remembering there's a whole TV series of background they keep forgetting about.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 15:50 PropheT

1badmf wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:24:
wow, i feel bad for having contributed to ironman3's opening now. trek was a way better film. ironman3 was just a completely forgettable film.

Same here. I loved Iron Man 1 and 2 and actually feel bad that I paid to see the third movie. I kind of knew I was in trouble when we showed up to watch it and everyone filtering out of the previous showing looked like they'd been stuck on the top of a roller coaster for about an hour and were just happy to be leaving.

I liked the second Star Trek movie even more than the first, though. I wouldn't mind going back to see it again.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 15:03 Creston

The tornado near Shawnee yesterday was pretty fucking massive. Killed two people too.

More on their way tonight...

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 14:51 1badmf

i'll bet trek has better retention in the long run; good films tend to do that. it may not quite catch IM3 in total gross, but i bet it'll be a lot closer than the percent difference in opening weekend sales. i think a part of IM3's success was that it was the first big summer release of the year and people had that blockbuster money burning a hole in their pockets all winter. i know i did.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 14:49 nin

1badmf wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:24:
wow, i feel bad for having contributed to ironman3's opening now. trek was a way better film. ironman3 was just a completely forgettable film.

I have to agree. Wasn't impressed with IM3 at all...Darkness was a blast!

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 14:31 Mr. Tact

Agreed, ST:ID was the better film. I was a bit surprised it didn't break the $100m mark. It was the only big budget film coming out, not sure I understand why IM3 would do so much better.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 14:24 1badmf

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 14:21 Mr. Tact

Well, when you consider Iron Man 3 did $175m the first weekend... it is kinda weak..  

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 13:54 jdreyer

$84m puts ST:ID into top 40 all time openings. That's pretty good. Unfortunately, number 2 on the list opened a couple of weeks ago: Iron Man 3. That's a rough comparison. I thought Star Trek was a better movie, though.

@ InBlack, could you explain what you mean using the Secret text?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 11:33 nin

El Pit wrote on May 20, 2013, 11:31:
So, $84 million for the first four days is bad now? Wow. Just wow. Who would have thought that the same guys expecting ridiculously high numbers for the latest Tomb Raider are now working in film biz?

Yeah, that's the second site I've seen that claimed that...just insane.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 11:31 El Pit

So, $84 million for the first four days is bad now? Wow. Just wow. Who would have thought that the same guys expecting ridiculously high numbers for the latest Tomb Raider are now working in film biz?  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 10:48 Ahumado

bassetball blows....Torts blows too. always a good day when NY teams blow  

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 10:06 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on May 20, 2013, 09:19:
so hopefully everybody in tornado alley has their hatches properly battened down and everyone stays safe.

I'm not even sure we got rain where I was at, last night. Rather disappointed...

feck, it rained all damn day in Mpls......just glad I didn't have water in the basement....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo