Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. Borderlands 2
  2. Metro Last Light
  3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  4. Borderlands 2 Psycho Pack
  5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  6. Total War: ROME II
  7. Call of Duty: Black Ops II: Uprising
  8. Reus
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  10. Don't Starve

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Steam Top 10 May 21, 2013, 13:11 Redmask

But the game is not called Boer now is it? The game is about giants, and I felt like throwing it in there that giant = reus in Dutch. You are a very bitter and bored man, Redmask. So often simply being annoying, trying to be the smart-ass with yer silly little quips that always seem to lack wit.

Your opinion means nothing to me and others seem to like my posting so poo on you. You posted some useless information, I posted some useless information, what's the problem? Have a little fun in life my little tyke.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Steam Top 10 May 21, 2013, 12:19 Quinn

Redmask wrote on May 21, 2013, 07:07:
Quinn wrote on May 20, 2013, 19:19:
There's giants in the artwork and screenshots, ye dolt!

There's also peasants like the origin roman definition ye poorly spoken bumtuckle.

But the game is not called Boer now is it? The game is about giants, and I felt like throwing it in there that giant = reus in Dutch. You are a very bitter and bored man, Redmask. So often simply being annoying, trying to be the smart-ass with yer silly little quips that always seem to lack wit.

I mean.. you actually googled "reus" to find out "It's also the capital of the comarca of Baix Camp, in the province of Tarragona, in Catalonia, Spain" just to troll. Puke

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 12:35.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 May 21, 2013, 07:07 Redmask

Quinn wrote on May 20, 2013, 19:19:

There's also peasants like the origin roman definition ye poorly spoken bumtuckle.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2013, 19:19 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

25. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2013, 19:15 Redmask

It's also the capital of the comarca of Baix Camp, in the province of Tarragona, in Catalonia, Spain.  

24. My gift of knowledge May 20, 2013, 10:27 Quinn

'Reus' is the Dutch word for giant.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2013, 09:30 ASeven

Reus is such an amazing little game, one of the best god games to come out in a decade. Highly recommended though it isn't for everyone.  

22. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2013, 07:23 Fibrocyte

Rhino wrote on May 19, 2013, 22:42:
Fibrocyte wrote on May 19, 2013, 16:54:
Don't Starve is good but... when you die you lose everything and that's very discouraging. I don't think they should change that, but perhaps up the survivability a little. I spent a lot of time exploring the game w/o reading anything online so I died when night came... and I died when sanity got too low and my hallucinations were attacking me... and I died when the hounds first came because that was very unexpected... and I died by freezing once because I thought I had a little more time to reach my campfire at base.

Now that I know most of what will kill me, it's stupid mistakes that end up getting me. For example, I was collecting manure and accidentally clicking a beefalo instead of the manure pile and the entire herd massacred me in 1/2 a nanosecond.

Still, the game is very neat and well done. I've also not touched Adventure mode, yet.

I would disagree with the surviving aspect. It seems just fine for me, and some of your mistakes would be easily alleviated by paying a little more attention to the information that the game issues to the player. As an example, you mentioned dying when night came: I assume this was because you didn't build a fire; but as dusk starts to settle in the Wilson character says "It's getting late. I should make a fire."

If your sanity is depleting you should have expected bad things to start to happen as there are multiple screen effects to suggest that bad things are a-comin'. Along the same lines there are methods to increase sanity, most notable of which, early on, is making the garland head gear. The description for the garland headgear suggests exactly that: "Something to sooth the nerves."

There are other examples, too; but I don't want to come across as yelling "you suck, you worm" when I'm just trying to illustrate the point.

This may simply be different play styles but the game is, for me, absolutely fantastic, and what difficulty exists is offset to some degree by reading the information that is available to the player from within the game itself as well as making the appropriate interpretations thereof. I enjoy the humour, the variety of ways to achieve goals, and the regular discoveries of using different things to achieve the same result (often accidentally), such as getting fur off of the beefalo without attacking them.

My point was that those were the various ways that I have died so far. Of course I made a torch when night came but in early summer the nights are so long that 1 torch often is not enough and I did not have the supplies (again, this was play attempt #1) to make a second torch (or maybe I just didn't make the second torch fast enough) -- so I died.

As for the hallucinations, well, one would naturally just assume that the screen would get more distorted and more strange visuals would pop up but I didn't think they'd attack me. It is cool that they do, but I didn't expect it.

I didn't really feel the need the wrap explanation around each of the deaths as I assumed that those who played it (such as yourself) have died for various reasons as well.

In the end, food management is something that really needs to be mastered properly and that's fine. But when you spend 1.5 hours collecting supplies and building a sustainable food system just to die because of a misclick - that sucks.

I also know you can find/wear amulets and use the altar for some protection - but you sacrifice winter-prep time for exploration and that can end up bad down the road.

I like the game very much, too, and will definitely be playing the patch that is due out tomorrow (caves).

21. Re: Steam Top 10 May 20, 2013, 00:58 Prez

nin wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:42:
Prez wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:34:
Does anyone know if that dealzon coupon for the Psycho dlc that Blue linked to a couple of days ago is still valid?

Scroll down: http://blog.playfire.com/

Got it. Thanks!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 23:59 jacobvandy

Don't Starve is a rogue-like in that aspect. It's not meant to be played for a long, long time each playthrough, it's meant to be quick and unforgiving and something that teaches you new things about how to play every time you die. Like Cleveland said about Blackopoly his Civil Rights board game, it's not something you ever really win, you just do a little better each time. (Which may not be entirely true, it might have an actual ending like Dungeons of Dredmor does, I dunno.) If you can accept dying/failing as an integral part of gameplay, you can enjoy it for that.

Also, eating rabbits and berries is a perfectly viable way to stay alive. The point is that you eventually need to move on to acquiring more efficient sustenance, if you're going to have the time to explore other things.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 23:41 jimnms

Don't Starve is good but... when you die you lose everything and that's very discouraging. I don't think they should change that, but perhaps up the survivability a little. I spent a lot of time exploring the game w/o reading anything online so I died when night came... and I died when sanity got too low and my hallucinations were attacking me... and I died when the hounds first came because that was very unexpected... and I died by freezing once because I thought I had a little more time to reach my campfire at base.

Now that I know most of what will kill me, it's stupid mistakes that end up getting me. For example, I was collecting manure and accidentally clicking a beefalo instead of the manure pile and the entire herd massacred me in 1/2 a nanosecond.

Still, the game is very neat and well done. I've also not touched Adventure mode, yet.

I've having a bit of fun with it. I've watched a few videos of it before, so I had a basic understanding of it going in. I have yet to find any beefalo in my several plays. My last play was probably my longest yet. I was doing pretty good, when I found SPOILER TEXT: a grave yard and started digging up graves. I was finding all kinds of goodies, but by the time I realized this was draining my sanity it was too late. I started a new one today and spawned right near a wormhole. I'd never seen one of these before, so I went in only to get killed by some walking eyeball thing within minutes. I finally decided to take a peek at a wiki. I only looked at the descriptions of the stuff you can build and a few other things, mostly stuff that you already see in the game's description anyway, but I keep starving to death trying to read the tool tips in-game. It seems like finding beefalo is key to setting up sustainable source of food. You can't survive very long on just berries, rabbits, seeds and the occasional turkey.

Steam Profile

18. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 22:42 Rhino

I would disagree with the surviving aspect. It seems just fine for me, and some of your mistakes would be easily alleviated by paying a little more attention to the information that the game issues to the player. As an example, you mentioned dying when night came: I assume this was because you didn't build a fire; but as dusk starts to settle in the Wilson character says "It's getting late. I should make a fire."

If your sanity is depleting you should have expected bad things to start to happen as there are multiple screen effects to suggest that bad things are a-comin'. Along the same lines there are methods to increase sanity, most notable of which, early on, is making the garland head gear. The description for the garland headgear suggests exactly that: "Something to sooth the nerves."

There are other examples, too; but I don't want to come across as yelling "you suck, you worm" when I'm just trying to illustrate the point.

This may simply be different play styles but the game is, for me, absolutely fantastic, and what difficulty exists is offset to some degree by reading the information that is available to the player from within the game itself as well as making the appropriate interpretations thereof. I enjoy the humour, the variety of ways to achieve goals, and the regular discoveries of using different things to achieve the same result (often accidentally), such as getting fur off of the beefalo without attacking them.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 21:40 SpectralMeat

Anyone wants Grid 1 I have an extra copy. Message me on Steam and it is yours.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

16. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 19:42 nin

Prez wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:34:
Does anyone know if that dealzon coupon for the Psycho dlc that Blue linked to a couple of days ago is still valid?

Scroll down: http://blog.playfire.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 19:34 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 19:29 Techie714

Hey stop messaging me BL 2 codes I dont play it anymore...lol  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 18:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Well for anyone who doesn't own Tropico 4 yet, the collector's bundle is on for $9.99 which includes the steam special edition plus all the DLC.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 17:57 Beamer

I'm enjoying Reus.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 17:25 xXBatmanXx

That is what makes the game great and what makes games from NES great - the challenge. I remember waiting arund for my issue of Nintendo Power every month so I could find out if I was missing something cause I couldn't get past Game X point Y.

Dont Starve is a great game.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2013, 16:55 Wallshadows

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 19, 2013, 16:46:
I have a number of friends playing it, and they are also worried about the later instances where you have to get in there and kill someone, but one of the trees has a "full health upon kill".....but might be hard when you are fighting a "boss" and he is the only thing there....

That's basically the Achilles heel to that particular tree/skill. It's great for grinding but, unless the boss spawns tons of adds, it's a waste of a skill for boss encounter.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo