Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 13:03 Creston

EA calls Nintendo 'walking dead.'

That's humor for you.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 09:01 Redmask

shihonage wrote on May 19, 2013, 01:11:
DS has been strictly oriented toward the Nintendo Cultists(tm). Nostalgics, hippies, Japanophiles, people who just discovered videogames (i.e. what later became a Candy Crush Saga audience). It is what it is.

Yes all 100 million of them across several countries Rolleyes

You haven't had a worthwhile thing to say so I'm done listening to your console warrior bullshit.

24. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 06:52 Warskull

Prez wrote on May 18, 2013, 14:02:
Wow, somebody isn't getting invited to the Nintendo Christmas party this year!

EA is probably still bitter about Nintendo choosing not to use Origin with the Wii U.

shihonage wrote on May 18, 2013, 23:30:
What goes around, comes around, Nintendo.

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids, your best 3DS game is still the last-gen title made for the original DS (GTA: Chinatown), and your Wii-U line-up is a big fat NOTHING.

Stop using Mario as your liferaft, stop the flood of shovelware on your consoles, and come up with some original IPs and protagonists. And do this 8 years ago.

Oh wai

You are just being dumb. The DS and now the 3DS actually have excellent lineups. First off, disregarding every single game made from Japan is just plain stupid. There is also a difference between a "kids game" and a game that is playable for all ages. An 'M' rating doesn't make a game good or even mature. You also proceed to bash Nintendo for using their main series (which they have more of than any other company), when currently the other consoles are flooded with yearly rehashes from the megapublishers. Nintendo at least tends to spread out their major franchises and works to make a quality game.

If you can't find some games that you enjoy for the DS/3DS you either have poor taste in games or you are just dismissing the system as a whole because it is cool to hate Nintendo right now.

23. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 02:37 DangerDog

The tablet controller is a gimmick failure, only unlike the Wii which at least had Wii sports to trick people into buying the system - Nintendo can't seem to come up with a game that makes the tablet stand out.  

22. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 01:21 shihonage

Truth hurts.  

21. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 01:14 nin

Wow, are you bitter...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 01:11 shihonage

I've been a DS early adopter. As I said before, DS has a lot of good games if you are a child, or in the case of the two people who replied to me, if have the preferences of a child, i.e. are obsessed with cartoons, or suffer from permanent SNES/N64 nostalgia syndrome. No offense.

Asides from those "good" titles, the vast majority of DS titles are worthless shovelware, such as movie tie-ins. They have no quality filtering system and not enough blockbuster games to matter.

The only attempt to make a normal game on the DS has been GTA: Chinatown Wars, which apparently didn't do nearly as well financially as it deserved. It is a game that had no Mario, it had solid mechanics, pushed the system to the limit graphically, it wasn't some dumbed-down throwaway port but a full-featured GTA title.

However, should one go looking for more depth on the system, you will not find it, unless you're into games where you control 3-year-old protagonists with retarded Japanese storylines.

The proof of this is the lack of a single conventional CRPG. You will not find a Fallout, Baldur's Gate or anything of the sort on the DS. There are a few flawed dungeon crawlers, who think it's "hardcore" to make you pull out a piece of paper and draw your own maps. Once again, pointless appeal to nostalgia, oversimplification, and lack of substance.

DS has been strictly oriented toward the Nintendo Cultists(tm). Nostalgics, hippies, Japanophiles, people who just discovered videogames (i.e. what later became a Candy Crush Saga audience). It is what it is.

This is why after buying and selling a Wii, and getting burned by 3DS' complete lack of good games, I am not giving them any more money. They've been promising to appeal to a broader audience since, well, the DS, and all the signs point toward Wii U being just another failure in that regard.

19. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 00:44 Flatline

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids, your best 3DS game is still the last-gen title made for the original DS (GTA: Chinatown), and your Wii-U line-up is a big fat NOTHING.

Actually, the DS had a shitload of great games for it, and by and large JRPGs and the "uniquely japanese" games don't tend to appeal for me. I clocked in with nearly 50 games on the DS.

3DS had the misfortune to come out after the iPhone. I have no room any more for a dedicated portable gaming platform: I have my phone (now an android), my ipad, my laptop, and other technological gizmos. Between all of them, I get what scant entertainment I have time for from them.

18. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 00:08 Redmask

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids

This is pretty dumb, a lot of people like Nintendo games across a wide variety of age groups and the Nintendo DS was the most successful handheld in the history of gaming for a reason. They also possess the largest stable of exclusive franchises and unique characters. Sony and Microsoft don't even fund half of the first party efforts Nintendo does. Why would they stop using Mario? Have you even played one recently? People like Mario and Mario games continue to improve, they aren't sitting on their laurels with their old franchises. Nintendo faces some challenges but your attitude about them is ironically petty and immature.

The difference is that EA could restructure and at least tread water.

Your outlook on EA is overly charitable considering their problems but I agree that they are at least well poised due to Sony and Microsoft providing built in demand for their products in the next two years. As for Nintendo, they have survived failed hardware before and their other core platforms and sales are going well. They can't keep doing this though, I doubt the market will tolerate another mistake like launching a system without core franchises again.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 00:13.

17. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 23:32 killer_roach

Dades wrote on May 18, 2013, 22:40:
EA, an unprofitable piece of unwiedly shit that can't seem to make a game without pissing off the entire universe is saying the 100 year old company that birthed the industry is walking dead. What's that bit about throwing stones in a glass house?

The difference is that EA could restructure and at least tread water. Nintendo had a major hardware launch, a release of a good number of games from their core franchises, and their financials still look far from healthy. There's a better path to a decent ledger for EA than Nintendo, especially when you consider EA's current valuation really isn't all that large (about 40% the size of Activision or Nintendo, both of whom are valued similarly).

Additionally, you seem to forget the fundamental thing about financial outlook - it's not about the history, it's what they're expected to do going forward, and Nintendo's forward outlook is rather scary, especially going into 2014.

16. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 23:30 shihonage

Stop using Mario as your liferaft, stop the flood of shovelware on your consoles, and come up with some original IPs and protagonists. And do this 8 years ago.

Oh wai

15. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 23:18 Kosumo

Redmask, I wish I could get lucky and 'tap' the soccer mom market. Goodluck  

14. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 22:40 Dades

EA, an unprofitable piece of unwiedly shit that can't seem to make a game without pissing off the entire universe is saying the 100 year old company that birthed the industry is walking dead. What's that bit about throwing stones in a glass house?

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

13. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 19:16 Ray Marden

Honestly, f*ck Nintendo and f*ck the Wii U.

I wanted a vastly more powerful system, I wanted a Wiimote with perfect 1:1 control, and I wanted to see some new properties.

Instead, I got a PS3 or XB360 comparable system with a small, ghetto tablet. Because I have a 60" television screen in my living room so I can fiddle around with a tablet, right? It has no amazing new properties to offer me and, even for continuously relying on its established brands, I have only promises of future releases. For all of Nintendo's many, repeated, ongoing stumbles, Nintendo did not even bother to have at least one killer game, much less multiple, available at launch or even to this day. And I have to, specifically, keep all the assorted dongles/controllers/crap from the Wii, too?

The single most unique thing of the system is the weak tablet, but given Nintendo's tenuous standing in the market, developers have no reason to solely develop for the Wii U or to make it the lead platform. The stupid tablet also greatly inflates the weak system's price and, speaking of fracturing the market, makes the tablet an unimportant item in group games (unless you seriously want to talk about the cost of buying three additional tablets...)

This is what we got after all this time? After already accepting some significant shortcomings on the Wii? With all its prior profit, this is what it spent the R&D budget on? I have owned every Nintendo home console released in the US, from the NES forward, but I have no reason to buy a Wii U. At this point, I don't see myself buying one until they release all of their same, tired brands on the system and drop the cost of the deluxe unit to $200.00 or less. And Nintendo better do something fast because the PS4 PC looks far, far more interesting and the Microsoft PC is just three days away from putting it to rest as well.
I prefer my portable Note 2 to the crappy Wii U.
Thinking Nintendo deserves to fail at this point,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 17:25 Flatline

The Wii-U lives and dies on it's software library. Just like any console. Make fun games and people will play the system.

I skipped the Wii even though everyone else I know got one, because it had no real "must have" games for me. There were some cool games, but not enough to push the system. With Gamecube, Metroid Prime sold that system to me on a 5 minute demo. It was that awesome. 360 sold me on Mass Effect 1 (which is part of why I'm so bitter about the ending of ME3). We'll see which system manages to sell me next generation.

Wii-U? Who knows. We've come up with some interesting ideas for the tablet thingie- using it in a open rallycar game, and a few other really asymmetrical manners, which is probably needed to get game devs thinking about how to shuffle things up.

Also, I wish next gen would just get off their asses and release apps so that you can interface your tablet with the console and make the Wii-U totally obsolete. I know MS did it with their surface tablet, but nobody is going to use a 1200 dollar laptop tablet thingie with their xbox. Just bite the humility bullet and put out an android and ipad app for 20 bucks and make a goddamn fortune.

11. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 16:24 nin

People said the same thing about the DS and 3DS and both are doing very well now.

I picked up a 3ds a few weeks ago, and am enjoying the hell out of it...

10. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 16:22 Parallax Abstraction

nin wrote on May 18, 2013, 16:11:
NegaDeath wrote on May 18, 2013, 16:03:
Its a bit ironic hearing that from a developer that just had massive layoffs.

Not to mention them calling another company the walking dead...

Yeah, that's what I find funny. I own a Wii U and love it but yeah, there are many valid concerns about its future, though I do think it's WAY too early to call it dead yet. People said the same thing about the DS and 3DS and both are doing very well now.

The irony is just a guy from EA calling Nintendo the walking dead. Nintendo's been around 100 years and only started losing money for the first time ever two years ago and is now showing a profit again, even with the Wii U's horrible numbers. EA just canned 10% of its workforce and were it not for the buckets of money it's making from selling mobile cow clickers to people who wouldn't know a quality game if it bit them in the ass, they'd probably be in way worse shape than they are now.

People in glass houses and whatnot.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 16:11 nin

NegaDeath wrote on May 18, 2013, 16:03:

Not to mention them calling another company the walking dead...

8. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 16:03 NegaDeath

7. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 15:32 Yosemite Sam

PHJF wrote on May 18, 2013, 14:56:
I don't want to see Nintendo making games for other platforms,

Ummm I and all the other "core gamers" would love for this to happen.

Yup, I'd like to be able to play some of the old nintendo platformers on my PS3.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo