Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Game Reviews May 20, 2013, 06:32 Quinn

This topic is in desperate need of a suitable song!

Frank Turner - Glory Hallelujah

There ye go!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Game Reviews May 20, 2013, 05:52 eRe4s3r

Fair enough

44. Re: Game Reviews May 20, 2013, 03:59 InBlack

Hey these guys are part-machine, part human. Just like our hero the cyber commando Mark IV....Just saying...  

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Game Reviews May 20, 2013, 02:21 eRe4s3r

Mhh, all I was saying is that I find it funny to give Blood Dragon a full violence rating

Not sure why you bring religion into this as I never mentioned it. ^^ I am more wondering why people even apply ethics on standard toaster enemies. Did you feel bad for shooting the floating ducks in these old shooting gallery stands you found on fairs? Is that ethical condemnable violence?

42. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 20:45 PHJF

I'm not the slightest bit religious, but I have way more respect for people who are and leave others alone instead of the assholes who think criticizing them is somehow enlightening.

Christians (and most other major religions) by their very nature are proselytizers. They do not "leave others alone." They seek to control or sway powers to further their own irrational goals. Any gay American can tell you as much.

I hate to go there, but think of the children. How many children are raised and taught from day one that service to their parents' religion is paramount? That any questioning of their beliefs is a hostile force designed to test their resolve? That BILLIONS of people around the earth are WRONG in their own (equally idiotic) beliefs? That it is permissible to accept things as truth in total absence of evidence, in denial of the very foundation of all practical human advancement throughout history?

To say that religion and its practitioners should be left alone is to say a bulging tumor should be left to its wholly destructive malignance. Now, I'm not going to get militant and start or join a crusade because the tools at my disposal (rational thought, secular ideology, an open mind) are wildly ineffective when wielded. It is entirely impossible to engage in discourse with zealots.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

41. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 20:18 Overon

Prez wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:23:
I'm not the slightest bit religious, but I have way more respect for people who are and leave others alone instead of the assholes who think criticizing them is somehow enlightening.

I stopped being surprised at just how much religious bigotry exists on the Internet long ago, and Bluesnews is definitely no exception, but I agree wholeheartedly with the quoted portion of Mad Max's post.

I'll be the first to bash a Christian who gets on his or her moral superiority high horse on things like sex, drinking, or gay marriage, but a guy who happens to proudly avail himself of his religious denomination while reviewing games is not an affront to anybody, and all this unwarranted scorn and mockery serves to make those who consider themselves enlightened or intellectually superior appear just the opposite.
I'm going to have to disagree here, I don't believe there are any ideas who are justifiably free from criticism and it's important to understand that criticism does not imply bigotry. Whether someone gets on their high horse or not, has nothing to do with how justified their beliefs and knowledge claims are. If Ted Bundy criticized my beliefs or knowledge claims, those criticisms stand or fall on their justification, totally independent of who is making them (in this case Ted Bundy a convicted serial killer).

40. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 20:17 PHJF

Ergo destroying, damaging or raping a robot is different than doing that to humans.

EVER SEE BLADE RUNNER???

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 20:12 Overon

Quinn wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:57:
ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2013, 15:14:
Quinn wrote on May 19, 2013, 14:55:
Overon: Well said.

ItBurns: Tell me you're kidding me? Don't go all Mass Effect on us :O

I find it hilarious how the first poster got that "hate speech!" reply, with Blues even saying he felt like deleting the post. It's fucking ridiculous.

People deserve respect, their religion and ideas do not. Exactly like Overon said. When a person tells me he believes in a talking snake, I laugh in his face. There's no crime in ridiculing religion. If you ask me, it's high time to do so.

I do believe we're JUST machines. Are you religious or do you believe in a soul or something? I mean, it's not far fetched or strange.

I don't believe anything. I go for knowing. I know humans as well as other animals have feelings, both physically and mentally. I know machines have not. Ergo destroying, damaging or raping a robot is different than doing that to humans.

Philosophical bedrock right here.
Knowledge is a subset of belief. So you do believe things, the question is how well those beliefs are justified or how justified you are in your knowledge claims

38. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 19:57 Quinn

ItBurn wrote on May 19, 2013, 15:14:

I find it hilarious how the first poster got that "hate speech!" reply, with Blues even saying he felt like deleting the post. It's fucking ridiculous.

People deserve respect, their religion and ideas do not. Exactly like Overon said. When a person tells me he believes in a talking snake, I laugh in his face. There's no crime in ridiculing religion. If you ask me, it's high time to do so.

I do believe we're JUST machines. Are you religious or do you believe in a soul or something? I mean, it's not far fetched or strange.

I don't believe anything. I go for knowing. I know humans as well as other animals have feelings, both physically and mentally. I know machines have not. Ergo destroying, damaging or raping a robot is different than doing that to humans.

Philosophical bedrock right here.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 19:30 Beamer

Prez wrote on May 19, 2013, 19:23:

I stopped being surprised at just how much religious bigotry exists on the Internet long ago, and Bluesnews is definitely no exception, but I agree wholeheartedly with the quoted portion of Mad Max's post.

I'll be the first to bash a Christian who gets on his or her moral superiority high horse on things like sex, drinking, or gay marriage, but a guy who happens to proudly avail himself of his religious denomination while reviewing games is not an affront to anybody, and all this unwarranted scorn and mockery serves to make those who consider themselves enlightened or intellectually superior appear just the opposite.

And this guy is doing a service for gamers, anyway. He's being fair and saying these games aren't bad. Over the top and trying too hard to shock? Sure. But not going to send you to hell, or teach you to kill and make you a murderer, or whathaveyou.

He's looking through a specific lens but being very, very fair and open.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

36. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 19:23 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

35. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 18:02 Dmitri_M

Jesus Christ Blood Dragon rocked!  

34. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 18:00 Beamer

Nothing wrong with someone reviewing something from a certain viewpoint for a certain target audience, so long as they're fair about it, and from the few reviews Blue has put from these guys, they're pretty fair.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 17:47 Quinn

Mad Max RW wrote on May 19, 2013, 16:09:
What are you even talking about? People bash religions all the time, but the only one today that encourages millions of people around the world to respond back with violence is Islam. Look at the Muslim Brotherhood sweeping the Middle East. But no let's focus on Christianity and how all those people who follow it today are ignorant clowns. Let's tear them down instead because you're too stupid to understand why they believe in anything at all.

I'm not entirely sure to whom that was directed but I guess to me. I agree with you that Islam is the religion we should worry about most, yes, but that doesn't mean I give the other believers a free pass to respected ignorance. The qur'an is as monstrous and morally devoid as the old testament and every "true" christian believes what is said in it. Christians aren't any less ignorant, any less brainwashed.

But you're right. A fanatic Islamist is much more dangerous than a fanatic christian. A fanatic christian is much more dangerous than a fanatic jain. Etc. But Islam is on top. It was a bitter sweet moment yesterday, when I heard on the news the concerns The Netherlands now has about a muslim enclave in one of its cities. There, females are being ordered to wear those scarfs or leave immediately; the police is being approached and told to leave because "they will handle their own streets" etc. Multiple politicians (not just Wilders) are finally growing concerned and steps are being made to protect the political position of the country against sharia.

But hey. A few days ago we were called racists on this board for mentioning our concerns. I laughed at the reminder. But it wasn't one of joy.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

32. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 17:25 Burrito of Peace

...let's focus on Christianity and how all those people who follow it today are ignorant clowns...

Given how many claim they are Christians and the actual percentage of people who really DO try to be like Yeshua bin Yosef of Nazareth, I'd say a large majority are ignorant clowns.

31. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 16:21 ItBurn

What are you even talking about? People bash religions all the time, but the only one today that encourages millions of people around the world to respond back with violence is Islam. Look at the Muslim Brotherhood sweeping the Middle East. But no let's focus on Christianity and how all those people who follow it today are ignorant clowns. Let's tear them down instead because you're too stupid to understand why they believe in anything at all.

Religions create a lot more problems than just violence! But yeah, some are worse than others.

30. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 16:09 Mad Max RW

29. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 15:30 NKD

There's no crime in ridiculing religion. If you ask me, it's high time to do so.

Yep. People need to stop tip-toeing around religion and making excuses for it for fear of offending people. It needs to be exposed as the kooky fairy tale it is, and people need to learn that you can be a good person without threat of eternal damnation.

I think people have the right to believe in their kooky fairy tales, but I don't think they have a right to try to impose it on the rest of us via legislation and excluding non-believers from holding office.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

28. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 15:14 ItBurn

27. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2013, 15:14 yuastnav

[...]
ItBurns: Tell me you're kidding me? [...]

Bicentennial man.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo