Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Community Patch

The Team Fortress 2 Website announces the release of the Robotic Boogaloo Update for Team Fortress 2, a completely community-created update adding 57 new items to the teamplay first-person shooter. Here's word:

This update is 100% created by the TF2 community. And when we say everything, we mean everything—the in-game content, the update hub website, the animated short, the comic, even the splash images in the Steam store. Even better, everything you created avoided the classic trap of using other companies’ intellectual property. (Those of you working on a Darth Vader Pyro mask, we've got some bad news for you.) Plus, in a first for the Team Fortress economy, all the creators of the Robotic Boogaloo Update have decided to share the revenue earned from the sale of RoboCrate Keys. That means that everyone involved will be profiting from this update, not just the people making hats.

This doesn't mark the end of Valve-produced TF2 updates, by the way. As far as we’re concerned, there's plenty of room for both to happily co-exist. We're in uncharted territory here, and it's exciting to be exploring it with you. Amazing work, everyone!

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 20, 2013, 17:43 CrashTestDummy

deqer wrote on May 19, 2013, 01:34:
Redmask wrote on May 19, 2013, 00:47:
deqer wrote on May 18, 2013, 13:37:
That's why Random Crits exists. That's why the Spy class exists(for newb players that couldn't cut it, using a normal class). That's why Ubers exists. That's why it takes 3 rockets for a soldier to kill a spy, instead of 1 rocket. That's why sticky guns exists for Demoman. etc. etc. The list goes on and on; I could list 100+ examples. But, meh.

Your statement is inherently contradictory. 'the game is so balanced its handicapped' makes no sense.

Those elements of the game you mention are not weighted towards a specific side, both sides can take advantage of them which means a winning side playing well will still do better than a losing side who isn't as skillful. The spy class has been around since the beginning and requires a lot of skill to play effectively, you should L2P before talking about things you don't understand.

I'm sorry you couldn't understand the way I explained it(handicapped mechanics), nor the examples I gave.

And you're picking on only the FEW examples I provided (out of the HUNDRED I could also provide from TF2). Random Crits is a prime example of handicap mechanics -- it "randomly" gives a player(regardless of their skill) a temporary unfair advantage. If you take away Random Crits, then you'll see a lot more "true wins" from a skilled team vs an unskilled team.

TF2 is built with many handicap mechanics which are also linked to many of it's nerfed settings, such as nerfed rocket damage and/or splash damage.

Giving the game a skillless class "Spy" (that can cloak), is another example. Sure, the other team can use "Spy" as well, but that's not he point.

Not to mention, TF2 adds more and more items(handicapped benefits) to the game. For example, now a Spy can decloak "silently" -- as if the class wasn't already handicapped enough(by having a cloak ability in the first place.)

I would hate to live in a world where game designers listened to absolute cretins like you. Every single game would end up being a Call of Duty / Battlefield clone with "OMG realistic weapons and cover based gameplay". Seriously, you should stop talking about topics which you have absolutely no clue about, and go play some more Modern Warfare with 13 year olds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 19, 2013, 01:40 nin

(out of the HUNDRED I could also talk about from TF2).

Oh, we can't wait...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 19, 2013, 01:34 deqer

Redmask wrote on May 19, 2013, 00:47:
That's why Random Crits exists. That's why the Spy class exists(for newb players that couldn't cut it, using a normal class). That's why Ubers exists. That's why it takes 3 rockets for a soldier to kill a spy, instead of 1 rocket. That's why sticky guns exists for Demoman. etc. etc. The list goes on and on; I could list 100+ examples. But, meh.

Your statement is inherently contradictory. 'the game is so balanced its handicapped' makes no sense.

Those elements of the game you mention are not weighted towards a specific side, both sides can take advantage of them which means a winning side playing well will still do better than a losing side who isn't as skillful. The spy class has been around since the beginning and requires a lot of skill to play effectively, you should L2P before talking about things you don't understand.

I'm sorry you couldn't understand the way I explained it(handicapped mechanics), nor the examples I gave.

And you're picking on only the FEW examples I provided (out of the HUNDRED I could also provide from TF2). Random Crits is a prime example of handicap mechanics -- it "randomly" gives a player(regardless of their skill) a temporary unfair advantage. If you take away Random Crits, then you'll see a lot more "true wins" from a skilled team vs an unskilled team.

TF2 is built with many handicap mechanics which are also linked to many of it's nerfed settings, such as nerfed rocket damage and/or splash damage.

Giving the game a skillless class "Spy" (that can cloak), is another example. Sure, the other team can use "Spy" as well, but that's not he point.

Not to mention, TF2 adds more and more items(handicapped benefits) to the game. For example, now a Spy can decloak "silently" -- as if the class wasn't already handicapped enough(by having a cloak ability in the first place.)

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 01:54.

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 19, 2013, 00:47 Redmask

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 22:40 deqer

It's cool watching victims (playing a handicapped and emo-centric game) remain as victims, after 6 years.

I guess all the smart/adult people have left(either for good, or to private/competitive servers), and therefore there is no majority of a community of smart/adults to complain enough to Valve to have things changed for pub servers.

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 16:36 Beelzebud

It's cute watching the "cool kids" bash TF2 because it's still popular, and being worked on, 6 years after release.

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 14:06 Dev

You can play without some of that stuff, like crits. And if you prefer a game that is a more level playing field, there's other games out there.

Most of that stuff is to give ways to counter the other team's strategies. For instance, you have a team full of engineers and sentry guns? Send in some spies. Or snipe them, or soldiers.

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 13:37 deqer

Redmask wrote on May 18, 2013, 12:14:
deqer wrote on May 18, 2013, 04:18:
TF2 still sucks, though. It's too balanced, that it's actually handicapped.

This statement makes absolutely no sense.

What, you don't know what handicapped (in a video game) means? It means one side is given an unfair advantage in order to keep the game fair, so it always remains balanced. It's a really lame mechanic.

Haven't you played a Racing game before, and it asks you to set the difficulty of the CPU racers to either Handicapped or not? If you set handicapped, then the enemy racers are given an unfair advantage (speed boost) to catch up to you, no matter how fast/good/skilled you are. Essentially taking away your skill, for the sake of balancing the game out for both teams. Really, a lame feeling, indeed.

That's what TF2 is, with all it's mechanics and settings.

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 12:14 Redmask

This statement makes absolutely no sense.

6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 08:51 eRe4s3r

Fibrocyte wrote on May 18, 2013, 07:53:

Also filled with the current generation of kiddy teens, and servers with emo all-talk enabled, it's just garbage.

Don't waste your time with this one.

Fun, fast-paced, cartoony games... played by KIDS? Yea, don't bother with this trash. Go play one of those other cartoony games that only adults frequent.

Idiot...

I assume you have never played on publics. The play experience is abysmal and what he said is 100% truth. You can mute voice chat by default because every open server is gonna have some kids with the mental capacity of a sea sludge screaming into their mic. Unless you play on clan servers where there are admins, only then it's usually clan people playing, so the play experience is even worse than on public.

I had so many bad experiences in TF2 public play that I stopped playing it entirely. I gave all my crappy items and stupid hats away for free to some random dude. That felt like the best thing I had done in gaming ever. I am free from this bullshit. Hats and TF2 FTL.

And thanks to it being F2P the amount of cheaters (it felt) had multiplied by factor of 50.

I am glad I uninstalled TF2.

5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 07:53 Fibrocyte

Also filled with the current generation of kiddy teens, and servers with emo all-talk enabled, it's just garbage.

Fun, fast-paced, cartoony games... played by KIDS? Yea, don't bother with this trash. Go play one of those other cartoony games that only adults frequent.

Idiot...

4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 18, 2013, 04:18 deqer

3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 17, 2013, 23:17 Dev

While I do think its great they are doing this, and that the community is getting all the profits from the keys, lets be clear here.

A big reason valve is doing this is so they can work less on TF2 and more on other things that they are currently finding more fun and interesting. If that other thing was HL3 I'd be all for it. But its more likely some form of wearable computing.

2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 17, 2013, 23:07 Nate

Kosumo wrote on May 17, 2013, 21:52:
Team fortress 2 is way over priced.

LOL Kosumo! Cool that they released a community-created update. Valve is such a leader.

1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Community Patch May 17, 2013, 21:52 Kosumo

Team fortress 2 is way over priced.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo