Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Screenshots

• Grand Theft Auto V on Kotaku. Thanks nin.
  • Final Fantasy VIII on Kotaku. Hi-res PC version coming to Japan.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Screenshots May 18, 2013, 12:57 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on May 18, 2013, 01:06:
Creston wrote on May 17, 2013, 23:48:
Wait what what what what what WHAT??? :O

Creston

That's the reason there's been no Blu-Ray release of the series. Someone somewhere at some point erased the files with all the CG models. The live footage was recorded on film so it can be converted to Blu-Ray quality no problem (they even filmed it in widescreen for future proofing). But the CG stuff was only recorded at DVD spec as they thought they could re-render it later on in higher def when technology advances made it cheaper. Now they'd have to redo everything from scratch and the studios don't want to bankroll that.

And yes it blows.

All in favor of publicly flogging the incredible ASSWIPE who's responsible for this say "aye."

AYE.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Screenshots May 18, 2013, 01:57 nin

NegaDeath wrote on May 18, 2013, 01:06:

Creston

That's the reason there's been no Blu-Ray release of the series. Someone somewhere at some point erased the files with all the CG models. The live footage was recorded on film so it can be converted to Blu-Ray quality no problem (they even filmed it in widescreen for future proofing). But the CG stuff was only recorded at DVD spec as they thought they could re-render it later on in higher def when technology advances made it cheaper. Now they'd have to redo everything from scratch and the studios don't want to bankroll that.

And yes it blows.

Wow, hadn't heard that. Crazy...was this the same person who magically burned all the original trilogy negatives for George Lucas?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Morning Screenshots May 18, 2013, 01:06 NegaDeath

Creston

And yes it blows.

9. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 23:48 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on May 17, 2013, 19:49:
Hell they could even have a stupid intern who wiped the disks like with what happened to Babylon 5.

Creston

8. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 19:49 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on May 17, 2013, 18:26:
I fail to understand how devs keep losing assets or source codes. It'd take what... 2.5GB to save all the art assets for FF8? They can't afford the buck forty it would take to store that and back it up on a yearly basis?

Agreed on loving FF8, though. It remains my favorite from the Playstation 1 triumvirate. (7-9)

Creston

True, but even with digital storage 14 years is a long time (and naturally drives were smaller back then). And Japan does have the occasional disaster to muck plans up. Hell they could even have a stupid intern who wiped the disks like with what happened to Babylon 5.

7. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 18:26 Creston

I fail to understand how devs keep losing assets or source codes. It'd take what... 2.5GB to save all the art assets for FF8? They can't afford the buck forty it would take to store that and back it up on a yearly basis?

Agreed on loving FF8, though. It remains my favorite from the Playstation 1 triumvirate. (7-9)

Creston

6. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 18:10 NegaDeath

I doubt after all this time Square still even has all those pre-rendered background assets saved anywhere.

Anyways I might check it out if we get it here, I actually enjoyed 8. It still has the best minigame in the franchise (Triple Triad). And I loved how you could just utterly wreck the difficulty with the right setup.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2013, 19:53.

5. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 18:05 killer_roach

Creston wrote on May 17, 2013, 17:27:
starttimartti wrote on May 17, 2013, 16:04:
Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2013, 12:26:
By "hi-res," does that mean they're redoing the prerendered backgrounds?

Based on those screenshots, no they are not. This will be another "one of those" hi-res versions.

Which is a shame, because if they genuinely did good, updated ports of the late FFs, I'd gladly buy them. This definitely looks sharper than the original Playstation game, but the backgrounds just seem like they've got a sharpen filter applied or something. They don't appear new.

Creston

Yeah... I only picked up the PC remake of FFVII when it hit a sale for $5. I figured at that price it was worth revisiting, but no more.

4. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 17:27 Creston

starttimartti wrote on May 17, 2013, 16:04:

Based on those screenshots, no they are not. This will be another "one of those" hi-res versions.

Which is a shame, because if they genuinely did good, updated ports of the late FFs, I'd gladly buy them. This definitely looks sharper than the original Playstation game, but the backgrounds just seem like they've got a sharpen filter applied or something. They don't appear new.

Creston

3. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 17:02 Yosemite Sam

Heh first screen shot, swat guys hanging off of an SUV in a high speed chase, can see that game mechanic getting ridiculous... thumbs up for 'Ponch and Jon' though, would have been hilarious if they used the actors for the voices and theme music on a chase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKdayl7BHM

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

2. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 16:04 starttimartti

1. Re: Morning Screenshots May 17, 2013, 12:26 Jerykk

By "hi-res," does that mean they're redoing the prerendered backgrounds? Because those backgrounds are super low-res by modern standards and the 3D characters won't blend in at all.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo