Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project

Indie developer Pixelbionic announces Twisted Metal creator has joined their advisory board to help create Autoduel, an online PC car combat game that is boasting of a "dream team" of developers (which includes Scot Kramarich, suggesting this may be a dream come true for Interstate '76 fans like myself). They plan on launching a Kickstarter for the game and promise details "shortly," and in the meantime they present their Facebook page and offer this announcement:

Santa Ana, CA – May 16, 2013 – Pixelbionic, an independent game developer committed to creating immersive action games, today announced that David Jaffe, legendary creator of gaming milestones Twisted Metal and God of War, has joined the company’s advisory board as a Creative Advisor for its inaugural project, vehicular combat game Autoduel™. Jaffe is the latest addition to Pixelbionic’s development ‘Dream Team’, assembled for the game by co-founders Maxx Kaufman - a founding member of InXile Entertainment and Art Director of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Kingpin: Life of Crime and The Bard’s Tale, and Mike Arkin - a Studio Head and Producer with over 150 published titles, including Die Hard Trilogy, Battlezone and the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series.

Other key members of the Autoduel team include designer Scot Kramarich - Lead Designer of Interstate ‘82 and Designer on Interstate ’76 - and coder Rafael Paiz - Senior Programmer on The Matrix: Path of Neo and Programmer on Redneck Rampage and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Joining David Jaffe on Pixelbionic’s advisory board are Zack Norman - creator of Interstate ’76, and Chanel Summers - a recognized leader in the field of interactive audio who while at Microsoft was instrumental in the design of the Xbox hardware’s audio capabilities.

Autoduel is a PC online multiplayer game which pays homage to epic car combat games of the past such as Interstate ’76 and Twisted Metal—while offering gamers the chance to see what can be accomplished when a talented team of experienced developers is unleashed on modern hardware with cutting-edge graphics and online multiplayer capabilities. The game combines the high-octane thrills and spills of team-based car combat with RPG-influenced persistence and progression gameplay.

In a post-apocalyptic future, warriors drive to survive in their tricked-out, heavily armed vehicles scavenged from the blistered landscape, armed with a deadly array of lethal weaponry. Autoduel features team-based combat in a variety of open arenas from abandoned cities to dried-up riverbeds. Players choose from over twenty unique cars which are divided into three warring factions - the Ratters, the Scavengers and the Techies. The cars can all receive a wide variety of upgrades, from mechanical modifications to the drivetrain and suspension, to a broad array of powerful weapons and protective armor which can be bolted onto the vehicles. Additionally, players can extensively customize the paintwork and add decals in order to show their allegiance and express their unique style.

“I was super excited when I heard Pixelbionic’s vision for Autoduel,” said Pixelbionic creative advisor David Jaffe. “As a huge fan of the genre, I’m really looking forward to contributing to the game’s vision and design goals.”

Pixelbionic was founded to create spirited games such as Autoduel that are ignored by publishers, leaving the door open to independent developers supported by fans of the genre. Autoduel development funding will be crowdsourced, with a Kickstarter campaign launching soon.

“Our mission is to assemble a team of car combat visionaries to deliver the game fans want to not only play but also help create,” said Pixelbionic co-founder and President Mike Arkin. “Autoduel pairs the vision of the best talent in the industry with the enthusiasm and support of gamers, a combination we are confident will set the bar for what can be achieved in a new PC vehicular combat game.”

More details on the Autoduel Kickstarter campaign will be released shortly, with additional core members of the development team expected to be revealed over the coming weeks.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 16:42 The Magician

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2013, 20:39:
I'm a little confused. Is this not at all connected to the Autoduel game property from the 80s? Did they acquire the IP?

AutoDuel was one of my faves from waaaaaaay back in the day. Every time I got to the end-game on the C-64 version, though, the game would just crash with a disk read error. Tried it on dozens of copies of the game. I kind of thought maybe they never actually finished the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 09:13 Ripperjack

I hope this game lasts longer than Auto Assault, which got it's plug pulled 12 months after release.

Then again, extending your closed beta for an extra year, so the hard-core who begged for a beta key, would burn out and there would be no one left to play on release... probably wasn't such a good idea. Rolleyes

13. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 04:57 yuastnav

Well, some people tried to make a clone of Interstate 76 called Interstate Outlaws but progress has been really small. You can almost could it vaporware if it weren't for the occasional update every few years.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2013, 05:38.

12. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 03:22 InBlack

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2013, 21:16:
I'd kick in big on a KS of an I'76 remake! It has the second best gaming soundtrack ever made - Outlaws being number one. I still love the story and feel of I'76. Hell, I still regularly quote it in real life. Whenever I'm lost...'This ain't right. This really ain't right.' Or when someone remarks about it being unseasonably warm I reply, 'The unicorn requires sanctuary.' Which always gets me an odd look. I hope this can live up to it and isn't just straight up vehicle combat alone.

Yeah I76 was one of the greatest games ever. Ahhh the glory days of Activision....*sigh*

Too bad this is an MMO and lacks a single player campaign, as such it will probably suck donkey balls. Hence I am very skeptical with regards to what they will be able to do with this, regardless of the 'talent' they have on board.

Give me an I76 sequel, lets call it I78 and Im on BOARD! Right now this feels like a moneygrab with a cash-sink game at the end of the rainbow...

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 03:13 netnerd85

They won't make a better game than Gas Guzzlers.

Kingpin: Life of Crime
If a game ever needed a mother fucking sequel it would be this rat fuck right here, of course I ain't got a mother fucking dollar to spend on it right now

I have to play it again, I did buy it from gog.

10. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 02:35 Armengar

Someone already tried a multiplayer i76 style post apocalyptic affair and it was a terrible mmo mishmash. Alas a single player i76 would be too niche these days.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 00:32 Dirwulf

Mike Arkin...LOL...I worked with him a Crave. He's famous for getting punched in the face by a tester because he's such a dick. 150 games? 99.9% of them being trash. Arkin on your project pretty much guarantees failure. I have no idea how this guy keeps getting jobs.  

8. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 00:02 HoSpanky

Will W wrote on May 16, 2013, 21:26:
Sweet....always loved I76. Now we just need a Rocket Jockey kickstarter.

Fuck. Yes. Even though it was incredibly broken, RJ was hilarious fun in multiplayer. Yanking someone off their rocket, then tying them to a pylon and watching them try to get back to their rocket while being run over was awesome. Even when I was the one tied up. If the multiplayer patch hadn't been such a disaster, it'd still be a regular at our LANs. I've often wondered why someone hasn't made a prettier clone of it. I mean come on, there's a clone of Moonbase Commander in the works, why not RJ?

7. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 23:24 Trevellian

Interstate '76 is still my favorite and probably most played game online in the 90's next to Quake.

And I loved, loved Twisted Metal.

Jaffe and Norman sound like a dream team to make my favorite game ever.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

6. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 23:16 Jerykk

Great to see a new vehicular combat game. Not so great to see it's MP-only. I'd love it if someone made a single-player, open-world vehicular combat game with RPG elements like branching quests and choice & consequence.  

5. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 22:55 Digitalfiend

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2013, 20:39:
I'm a little confused. Is this not at all connected to the Autoduel game property from the 80s? Did they acquire the IP?

This is exactly what I was thinking too! I used to play Autoduel and Car Wars table top games as a kid (including expansions like Boat Wars and Aeroduel.) Paying homage to I76? How about paying homage to the original Autoduel PC game?!

I'm still confused as to whether they bought the rights to use the Autoduel name or not...they must have...

4. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 21:42 Ozmodan

This just sounds outright dumb, they could not come up with a better idea for a game? Seems to me they will be dealing with a very limited audience for a game like this.  

3. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 21:26 Will W

Sweet....always loved I76. Now we just need a Rocket Jockey kickstarter.

I'm going to put the 7th guest sound track out there as another great oldie. I still listen to it on occasion.

2. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 21:16 Cutter

I'd kick in big on a KS of an I'76 remake! It has the second best gaming soundtrack ever made - Outlaws being number one. I still love the story and feel of I'76. Hell, I still regularly quote it in real life. Whenever I'm lost...'This ain't right. This really ain't right.' Or when someone remarks about it being unseasonably warm I reply, 'The unicorn requires sanctuary.' Which always gets me an odd look. I hope this can live up to it and isn't just straight up vehicle combat alone.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 16, 2013, 20:39 Mad Max RW

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo