Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed

A new website is online for Dawngate, an unannounced free-to-play MOBA game in development at Waystone Games, an unknown developer, to be published by EA, a known publisher. They are already accepting beta signups on this page, offering the following explanation of what they are planning: "Dawngate is a new MOBA, built from the ground up to look and feel familiar while offering a whole new way to experience MOBA gameplay. Dawngate empowers you to forge the champions you love for the roles you want in a competitive arena, shaped by ever-evolving, community-driven content and story." Thanks Polygon via Superannuation.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 17, 2013, 12:10 Theo

you arnt playing almost every mmo on the market in that case mate [exageration, but lots of games are using it unfortunately these-days :(]

its uninstallable in lols case as its only used in the initial install, unlike say Aion where it is used for patching [and lotr for that matter].

If you have success finding an installer without do let me know, if you are desperate i could always zip up my lol folder but thats no more trust worthy

This comment was edited on May 17, 2013, 12:45.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 17, 2013, 11:06 Verno

Yeah that sounds like it. I don't touch bundled software so unfortunately LoL will stay off my system until that changes. I'm sure someone has made a stripped copy though so I will check for one later.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

31. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 17, 2013, 09:09 Theo

Verno wrote on May 17, 2013, 08:41:
Theo wrote on May 17, 2013, 02:15:
PS: dont know where you got your installer from, but either A) the wrong place, or your AV has got it wrong. Can PvE in lol as well, and the PvE community in lol tends to be really nice if thats your thing.

Thanks for the heads up on the other stuff, I will definitely give LoL a shot sometime. The installer thing I was talking about was like two years ago and it was definitely bundled with some weird tencent adware distro software, I'm sure they've changed it by now but back then it really turned me off.

Ahh wait, you probably mean pando media booster, and i think thats still bundled, Its basically bit torrent but secured by certificates; and its encrypted + a server seeds the torrent.

The reason some AV checkers mark it as bad is because the "free version" that is used for other purposes is add funded, the one the lol client uses is not as its the software plugin that riot pay them for.

30. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 17, 2013, 08:41 Verno

Theo wrote on May 17, 2013, 02:15:
PS: dont know where you got your installer from, but either A) the wrong place, or your AV has got it wrong. Can PvE in lol as well, and the PvE community in lol tends to be really nice if thats your thing.

Thanks for the heads up on the other stuff, I will definitely give LoL a shot sometime. The installer thing I was talking about was like two years ago and it was definitely bundled with some weird tencent adware distro software, I'm sure they've changed it by now but back then it really turned me off.

29. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 17, 2013, 02:15 Theo

Verno wrote on May 16, 2013, 12:19:

I've never played LoL so no idea (went to install it and the installer had adware attached), all I ever hear about it is that it's a more rudimentary take on the Dota formula, not that there's anything wrong with that. I know it's very successful though, particularly in the asian markets.

Its got the most active users of any game in the world as far as i am aware, WoW included. Some research recently (no doubt paid for by valve) said dota was the biggest game of its type in the world; untill riot point out that they had more active users on the european server alone. Company that did the "research" since retracted the statement.

Lol is a great game (as is dota), least if you like that sorta thing. DOTA has the upside of being able to play all the champs from the off, where as in lol you buy them (but you dont need to spend real money to do so) otherwise you are stuck with the random pool that gets switched out every few weeks.

There is no denying a Lol, but there are also no bullshit random mechanics as there are in dota (critical chance aside). Dota is a more "modern" gfx style.

Personally i like both games, to watch lol tends to be more exciting (if you like e-sports); lol also got the 3 other game types/maps/ to dick around with so that can be fun.

both community's are toxic, they really are, but dota's is a whole new level of bad shame cause the games awesome fun (if you like that kinda thing).

This comment was edited on May 17, 2013, 05:44.

28. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 22:54 dj LiTh

Between LoL and Dota2 i just dont see any room for another honestly. As for the flak MOBA games in general are getting i can understand that. Competitive multiplayer is not for everyone and does leave a very sour taste in most peoples mouths. I personally like them as its hard to find a better more competitive 20-40min game thats not a FPS.  

27. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 20:39 heroin

Totally agree. Someone could innovate on the MOBA theme but DOTA 2 is pretty much the only game I have played a ton of the past 6 months. Pretty much play a game or two everyday depending if we win or lose quickly.  

26. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 18:56 Redmask

NKD wrote on May 16, 2013, 15:52:
MOBAs are so boring. It's literally designed for passive aggressive turds who can't handle a game with any real pace to it. The games go on forever, not because there's any kind of strategic build up or big grand plan in action, but because everyone just stands around afraid to engage because they don't want to get blamed for feeding.

Stalemate Simulator 2013

Sounds like a blanket statement derived from bottom tier play. I mostly play HON and LoL but I rarely see the kind of thing you're talking about. If games do run on its because the players don't make rookie mistakes, the game paces are typically very fast and unforgiving too. Play with a team of people instead of random dudes if you want strategy.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 18:54 Creston

MOBAs are so boring. It's literally designed for passive aggressive turds who can't handle a game with any real pace to it. The games go on forever, not because there's any kind of strategic build up or big grand plan in action, but because everyone just stands around afraid to engage because they don't want to get blamed for feeding.

Stalemate Simulator 2013

The feeding principle did lead to a very funny PA though. That first panel always cracks me up.

Creston

24. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 18:10 Cutter

Stalemate Simulator 2013

Yeah, I noticed this when I tried DOTA2. Yes, you have brief moments of excitement but the vast majority of it is pretty boring and so repetitive.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 15:52 NKD

Stalemate Simulator 2013

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 13:35 HorrorScope

bhcompy wrote on May 16, 2013, 12:56:
bhcompy wrote on May 16, 2013, 12:10:
Verno wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:23:
I can't really see anything outdoing Dota 2 in the MOBA department, it has the strongest community tools I've ever seen in an online game.

Well, Dota 2 has to outdo League of Legends before that comment could even be relevant

epeen wars, my moba is better than yours! en garde!

I've never played LoL so no idea (went to install it and the installer had adware attached), all I ever hear about it is that it's a more rudimentary take on the Dota formula, not that there's anything wrong with that. I know it's very successful though, particularly in the asian markets.

Well, the reason I mentioned it was because it's the biggest MOBA and also the biggest competitive scene by a significant margin.

In the gaming world isn't it COD, WOW and LOL competing at the top for the most profitable game in the world? LOL is crazy huge and totally amazing the amounts of cash they have pulled in.

21. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 12:56 bhcompy

I can't really see anything outdoing Dota 2 in the MOBA department, it has the strongest community tools I've ever seen in an online game.

Well, Dota 2 has to outdo League of Legends before that comment could even be relevant

Well, the reason I mentioned it was because it's the biggest MOBA and also the biggest competitive scene by a significant margin.

20. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 12:47 HorrorScope

ItBurn wrote on May 16, 2013, 11:09:
I can't understand why people like MOBA games. It sucks. Same thing over and over.

Aren't all competitive games pretty much that? The reason people like them is because they are beating real intelligence, it is very competitive. It's about winning and feeling satisfied.

Why does Moba's work? It's the old adage, easy to get into, hard to master. In its simple ideas when playing vs someone else there are tons of tactics. Sort of that perfect match.

19. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 12:21 Warskull

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:24:
Whats a MOBA?

MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. It is a very dumb genre name.

It means "DotA game", but the marketers at Riot didn't want to keep referring to League of Legends as DotA (despite the fact that is it their version of DotA.)

Personally, I prefer Valves "Action RTS", because someone who hears that will at least be thinking in the correct ballpark.

18. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 12:19 Verno

17. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 12:10 bhcompy

16. Re: More Big Picture Details May 16, 2013, 11:54 Kawlisse

HorrorScope wrote on May 16, 2013, 10:27:
EA way late to the party again. The base isn't asking for a MOBA from EA and it will flop, not because of EA, but because the MOBA sector is already spoken for, they are not asking for another.

I totally agree, what they should of done, if a game more like Smite. Top down games like Lol or Dota is already saturated, gamers have extablished themselfs, and will not go onto another game to start the same thing all over again... to play the exact same game.

15. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 11:34 Esoteric

ItBurn wrote on May 16, 2013, 11:16:
Verno wrote on May 16, 2013, 11:13:
ItBurn wrote on May 16, 2013, 11:09:
I can't understand why people like MOBA games. It sucks. Same thing over and over. Interaction is extremely limited. I mean sure there's tons of different heroes, but who cares... I guess the attraction may be that it's so simple to play. Wow has proven that simple beats "good" in the general population.

I don't love them or something but the itemization, hero skill, teamwork elements and ability to think on your fee make it seem deceptively simple, MOBA games actually have a very high skill ceiling and more strategy than people realize.

They are far from simple but you really need to play one for an extended period of time to wrap your around it, if you just play a few games or watch some casts they don't seem like much.

I absolutely get that there's lots of strategy. I can understand the simple to learn/tough to master angle. I just don't understand why people find MOBAs fun.

It's like chess, except the pieces change every game. And although the goal is simple, the gameplay can be very complex, and there are a lot of variables one must adapt too. LoL is certainly easier to start playing and having fun. Dota 2 takes more time to get in the swing of things. They're not very fun if you have no idea what you're doing, but if you invest the time to learn the game they're one of the more rewarding genres.

14. Re: Dawngate, EA's MOBA Game Revealed May 16, 2013, 11:19 Verno

ItBurn wrote on May 16, 2013, 11:16:
I don't love them or something but the itemization, hero skill, teamwork elements and ability to think on your fee make it seem deceptively simple, MOBA games actually have a very high skill ceiling and more strategy than people realize.

They are far from simple but you really need to play one for an extended period of time to wrap your around it, if you just play a few games or watch some casts they don't seem like much.

I absolutely get that there's lots of strategy. I can understand the simple to learn/tough to master angle. I just don't understand why people find MOBAs fun.

*shrug* I don't get why people like Justin Bieber or watch car racing but that's life

I find MOBAs fun once in awhile but I don't get super into them like others. I do get the appeal though, there is a lot more variance in the gameplay than people think and when things gel with your team the games are very fun.

Anyways I don't see an EA published MOBA being very good for anyone and I think the community would be naturally distrustful of P2W elements which EA has done in several games now.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo