Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Nuclear Unicorn - At the Edge of Night- Who Owns a Woman’s Truth?
By now word has spread like a nauseating shockwave through the various channels and tributaries of the Internet: independent game developer Chloe Sagal “defrauded” online contributors to her IndieGogo crowdfunding campaign for what she’d called a “lifesaving surgery;” in the wake of the internet-mob-justice bacchanal that followed, Chloe made an apparent suicide attempt on a Twitch.tv stream. She is, as of this writing and to the best of my knowledge, recovering in a hospital. The outpouring of internet vigilantism that followed was an indistinctly undulating sea of noise, hate, and entitled egoistic rage. But there was one Tweet that bubbled to the surface and got everyone’s attention.

GamesBeat - When burn victims become arsonists: On public shaming in the videogames industry.
What instantly draws my gaze toward these oh-so-common floggings is the most common factor: those carrying the whips. Like clockwork, they labeled Allistair “transphobic,” demanded that he be punished, and seemingly dusted their hands off for what they perceived was a good deed. This is not the first time they’ve done so. Ironically, they are the biggest proponents for positive change, yet they seem so consistent with their own negative behavior. Their usual approach is far from persuasive, and is even potentially damaging.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 20:24 Dev

So... if she/he threatened to kill her/himself unless it happened... doesn't that mean its technically lifesaving anyway... so where's the fraud?

(I'm arguing semantics here, without having read the funding campaign, I'm not agreeing with any sides).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 18:53 mch

Just to clarify but I've seen a lot of people refer to the author of the Nuclear Unicorn....thing...as a male. Looking at the profile thing on the right, it looks like the author is female.

QUINNAE MOONGAZER
Pictured, your dashing, all around bad dancer and not-so-humble correspondent, Katherine Cross.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2013, 20:10.

PSN: CaseDesignate

18. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 17:25 Jivaro

PropheT wrote on May 16, 2013, 16:54:
It's pretty much just another episode of 'someone is wrong on the internet' that nearly everyone gets caught up in once in a while. If there's anything wrong with the people involved it's that people still argue back and forth trying to make conversations out of the shouting matches that constitute nearly everything said anywhere on the internet that anonymous people are watching.

*mindblown*

*slumps forward in chair*

17. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 16:54 PropheT

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:44:
What is wrong with you people????

Well, the best I can tell is that he's decrying the effects of internet outrage and public shaming by trying to incite internet outrage and public shaming. In a way that he agrees with the outcome of, of course, not in the way that happened.

It's pretty much just another episode of 'someone is wrong on the internet' that nearly everyone gets caught up in once in a while. If there's anything wrong with the people involved it's that people still argue back and forth trying to make conversations out of the shouting matches that constitute nearly everything said anywhere on the internet that anonymous people are watching.

16. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 16:24 HoSpanky

I wonder if Chloe realizes that all this hatred coming her way is simply because she lied about what the money was FOR, and not because of what she IS. Had she come right out and said that it was to get gender reassignment surgery, it probably would have gone over just fine. Sure, there would be comments from people who think she's some sort of monstrosity, but so what? If she/he spends her entire life worrying what other people think, surgery won't help a thing.  

15. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 15:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2013, 13:30:
Indeed it is which makes it a federal crime. The FBI should be looking into this.
Don't hold your breath, it's far too politically correct to look into this. After all, you can't go after someone if they've committed a crime and are "oppressed" that would make you racist(not bigoted) in the flappy headed PC circles.

Yeah not really feeling anything on this at all, a scammer was outed, the world is a better place for it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 13:30 Cutter

Verno wrote on May 16, 2013, 10:08:
I think what he/she/it did could still constitute interstate wire fraud in some form if money actually changed hands.

Indeed it is which makes it a federal crime. The FBI should be looking into this.

Anyway I have no sympathy for a lying scammer, transgender or otherwise. Suicide is not a magical card to escape responsibility, buck up kiddo life is rough.

No one should have sympathy for someone who plays on peoples emotions like that. Even the suicide attempt is bullshit. If you really want to kill yourself it isn't hard to do. No, I say lock these fuckers up for a good long while!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 12:18 Mad Max RW

He/She should've just applied to Duke University and have the other students pay for the surgery.  

12. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 11:21 nin

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 10:46:
nin wrote on May 16, 2013, 10:09:
Catching up on this...so she wasn't really sick at all?

Well I guess you could argue that being born in a body that doesnt represent your true gender is an illness, or at least a serious disabilty. But that doesnt excuse the scam in any way.

Yeah, I guess when I originally read about it, I thought/assumed it was something life threatening, and that w/o it, they would die. I came close to donating a few bucks, but lost track of it...

I don't have much pity for a person who was deceitful. As for the other person who ratted them out, I'm not sure what to think. I think it's good the truth came to light, but making that decision for another person w/o their consent is pretty reckless...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:52 Creston

Chloe Sagal is pathetic and should suffer legal consequences for scamming people. End of story.

If you're that desperate to become a different gender, go to Holland. The Dutch government gladly pays for that surgery, for whatever fucked up reason, to anyone who asks for it. Doesn't matter if you're Dutch or not.

Creston

10. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:46 InBlack

nin wrote on May 16, 2013, 10:09:

Well I guess you could argue that being born in a body that doesnt represent your true gender is an illness, or at least a serious disabilty. But that doesnt excuse the scam in any way.

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:20 Scottish Martial Arts

I could only stomach the first paragraph or two of the article. I will say however, that while I can sympathize with Sagal's position -- 20-something trans people who are trying to establish themselves in careers almost always find that no one will give them a chance and hire them, and thus their immediate future is one of destitution -- the fact of the matter is that she lied to people for money. There's no way to justify that. Sometimes we're dealt really shitty hands in life -- and certainly being a trans women who doesn't have money for the medical interventions which will make your life easier qualifies -- but we kinda have to just learn to deal with it, and get through a bad hand as best we can. Lying to people for money in order to alleviate your own suffering may be understandable, but it doesn't make it any less wrong or immature.

Likewise, Sagal seems to have unrealistic expectations about sexual reassignment surgery if she considers it "life saving". For most, but not all, trans people, it's living and being accepted in your desired gender role which is quite literally life saving, and so possibly the surgery -- breast implants, facial feminization, etc. -- which facilitates that could be so called; in almost all cases, however, trans women will report that the genital surgery is kind of neutral because by that point if people are going to perceive you as female, they already do, and what's underneath your clothes has basically no effect on that perception. Trans women who have had SRS are usually glad to be able to use a public swimming pool again, and not to have to worry if things became untucked, etc. but that's a convenience thing as opposed to fundamental emotional well-being.

Whatever: troubled person does something stupid on the internet, inspiring exaggerated spiteful animosity on the one hand, and utterly retarded white knighting on the other. News at 11.

8. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:09 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:09 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:56:
The sort of popcorn drama silliness that only the internet can provide Popcorn

It's why we love it so much though....

Back 40 years we would never have known whether a fundraiser for a life saving operation would have been a scam or not, even if it had been discovered by someone. All that's changed is that information has become quicker and more viscous at times. But if you can't stand the heat, don't stand in the kitchen. ^^

From what I gather, most of the blow out now is not from the scam being discovered but her trans-gender ..eh, "state" being outed.

That said, I think a funding attempt for a trans-gender operation would have succeeded given that it would have been some pretty dang unique to happen on the tubes, there was no need to lie.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2013, 10:21.

6. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:08 Verno

I think what he/she/it did could still constitute interstate wire fraud in some form if money actually changed hands.

Anyway I have no sympathy for a lying scammer, transgender or otherwise. Suicide is not a magical card to escape responsibility, buck up kiddo life is rough.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

5. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:07 Prez

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:44:
That Nuclear Unicorn article had me going WTF more than once. Woman(man?) scams people out of their money, gets found out, tries to commit suicide and that fucker Quinnae Moongazer (WTF?) actually has the audacity to defend her while at the same time attacking a guy who actually knew her(him?) in real life for not being respectful enough towards her rights as a TG person while that guy is simply trying his best to save his friend's life? What gives? What is wrong with you people????

Whew - glad to see that I am not the only one absolutely floored by this douchebag's gall not only to defend someone who knowingly tried to steal people's money fraudelently but to attack the guy who came clean about it. What a fucking asshole of the highest order.

As far as the lady, man... PERSON named Chloe, I hope he/ she is okay and ends up finding happiness, but what he/ she tried to do is absolutely indefensible.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:04 Drazula

I don't understand the outpouring of politically correct BS coming from the Nuclear Unicorn article. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Business is a cruel world. If this was done in a more formal company environment, this person would be in jail.

Prediction: very, very soon it will be politically incorrect for a guy to dress up like a woman on Halloween. These PC people are sickening.

3. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 09:56 Verno

The sort of popcorn drama silliness that only the internet can provide Popcorn  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

2. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 09:47 eRe4s3r

Is this some kind of joke? We are supposed to be offended because a scammer got outed, and not only was it a scam, but it was a funding attempt insulated with the threat of suicide on failure (Life saving surgery implies death if funding goal is not achieved)! And not only was it a scam it was also based on a LIE.

this is black mail and illegal in nearly all parts of the world, unless it is based on Charity fund raisers. Indiegogo acted correctly shutting it down, and my pity for "whatever-gender" it is, is 0. (Indiegogo is not for charity, neither is Kickstarter, and you get insta banned if they notice you lied)

The only issue here is, that this was a funding scam that would have nearly succeeded.

1. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 09:44 InBlack

That Nuclear Unicorn article had me going WTF more than once. Woman(man?) scams people out of their money, gets found out, tries to commit suicide and that fucker Quinnae Moongazer (WTF?) actually has the audacity to defend her while at the same time attacking a guy who actually knew her(him?) in real life for not being respectful enough towards her rights as a TG person while that guy is simply trying his best to save his friend's life? What gives? What is wrong with you people????  

I have a nifty blue line!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo