Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Trading Cards Beta

Valve announces that Steam Trading Cards are now in beta, offering virtual cards that can be redeemed for game badges and other virtual commodities:

May 15, 2013 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Steam Trading Cards, a new service that rewards gamers for gaming on Steam.

Released in beta today, Steam Trading Cards allows customers to earn Steam rewards for playing the games they love. Those who participate will receive game-specific trading cards that can be collected to earn rewards such as game badges, profile backgrounds, emoticons, coupons, and more.

The group of titles participating in the Steam Trading Cards beta includes Don't Starve, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2 and Half-Life 2. The service will expand over the coming months to include many more titles on Steam.

For more information on Steam Trading Cards visit http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 18, 2013, 07:43 Dev

If you are a part of the beta, you can click your name at top of steam window, then click badges. You can see your level and cards there.

If you aren't, anyone need an invite?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 18, 2013, 07:41 Dev

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2013, 05:17:
Cutter wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:20:
So instead of Half Life 3 we continually get crap like this instead.

Yup. All those level designers, scripters, environmental artists, character artists, animators, riggers, VFX artists, sound designers, UI artists, UI programmers, gameplay programmers, engine programmers, etc, are all working on this trading card system instead of HL3.
Sure, if they wanted to. If they thought it was more fun and more interesting than wtf ever they were doing before. Wheels on desks remember?

Also, what UI programmers? Have you seen steam?

30. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 09:19 SpectralMeat

Heh no worries nin  

Steam: SpectralMeat

29. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 09:16 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:12:
Just looked at my inventory and I have 2X Steam Community Beta Access in there. If I try to add it to my game library it says I already have that, but no levels or scores on my profile page.
Weird.

I think that was the last beta, where they expanded steams functions?

Not positive...I'd look, but I don't know my steam password, and I'm at work...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 09:12 SpectralMeat

Just looked at my inventory and I have 2X Steam Community Beta Access in there. If I try to add it to my game library it says I already have that, but no levels or scores on my profile page.
Weird.

27. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 09:09 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:04:
There is no score in my profile tab.
I think you must be part of the beta to see that score. No invites for me, you must be special

I'm pretty sure I got beta invites, but I admit by that point in the evening, I was doing "drunk amazon shopping" (fun pasttime), so I'm not positive...

Ping me if you want one (as I can't remember shit)...I think the last group post from valve also said another round was going out tonight (Friday)...

26. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 09:04 SpectralMeat

There is no score in my profile tab.
I think you must be part of the beta to see that score. No invites for me, you must be special

25. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 09:03 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 17, 2013, 08:58:
Maybe you have to be part of the beta program in order to see scores.
I do see your score nin but not mine.
How did you join the beta?

Your own should be in the upper left?

As for joining, there was no notification...I suddenly had 3 things pop into my inventory, and when I looked, it was guest passes for the beta...

edit: Did I say 10? You're...you're an 8. Yeah, that's it! Right below 9, but not quite!

24. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 08:58 SpectralMeat

Maybe you have to be part of the beta program in order to see scores.
I do see your score nin but not mine.
How did you join the beta?

23. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 08:57 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 17, 2013, 08:48:
nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 00:03:
I'm a level 9, and Bats and Spectralmeat are level 10s?! Totally unacceptable!!!!

Really, I did not even have a chance to look at it.
Maybe the amount of time you've poured into Snuggle Truck brings your score down?

Ps: How do you check levels? I've logged into my account but it doesn't say anything about levels on my profile page.

When I looked at my profile (think it was), on the bottom right it showed my friends scores...

22. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 08:48 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 00:03:
I'm a level 9, and Bats and Spectralmeat are level 10s?! Totally unacceptable!!!!

Really, I did not even have a chance to look at it.
Maybe the amount of time you've poured into Snuggle Truck brings your score down?

Ps: How do you check levels? I've logged into my account but it doesn't say anything about levels on my profile page.

21. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 17, 2013, 00:03 nin

20. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 16, 2013, 05:17 Jerykk

Yup. All those level designers, scripters, environmental artists, character artists, animators, riggers, VFX artists, sound designers, UI artists, UI programmers, gameplay programmers, engine programmers, etc, are all working on this trading card system instead of HL3.

19. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 16, 2013, 01:15 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2013, 00:57:
Dev wrote on May 15, 2013, 21:54:
That would be because valve found it fun and interesting to do this trading card badge thing. Looking at TF2 you can get a sense of what other things they find fun and interesting, mostly involving hats.
So what you're saying is that our Steam trading cards will all have their own hats?

On that note Tycho from Penny-Arcade was freaking out the other day ago because the guy who made the WoW CCG is making a MMOCCG where the cards can be socketed with gems... Oh and the cards have 3 sides because they're digital, why not.

18. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 16, 2013, 00:57 jdreyer

Dev wrote on May 15, 2013, 21:54:
That would be because valve found it fun and interesting to do this trading card badge thing. Looking at TF2 you can get a sense of what other things they find fun and interesting, mostly involving hats.
So what you're saying is that our Steam trading cards will all have their own hats?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 21:54 Dev

16. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 19:57 Graham

DOTA 2 is the only thing I play anymore.

I'm okay with this.

15. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 19:32 kibbled

dj LiTh wrote on May 15, 2013, 18:08:
Virtual trading cards....what next virtual pogs?

Look, Gordon Freeman is back....In Pog form.

Honestly I haven't played a steam game in so long because of WoW. But I don't see the harm in it. They know there are other competitors out there and they want to create brand loyalty.

Personally, except for Blizzard games I will not buy a PC game if it isn't on Steam.

14. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 18:43 tony

Yes, you nailed it. The game programmers are creating Steam trading card systems instead of programming games. MYSTERY SOLVED.

13. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 18:09 Flak

Maybe it's the zen coming out, but I could wait another 10 years if it means getting a quality game with reply value. I still play through Half-Life 2 at least once a year and it's a completely linear experience (for the most part). I doubt they'd deviate too far from their success, but I'd love to see them take some risks with HL3 and really make it a 'GOAT'. Give me open-world with replayability...and a crowbar ofcourse.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo