Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming

GamesIndustry International has details on EA's new DICE studio in Los Angeles that will be focuses on creating games to capitalize on EA's new exclusive Star Wars games deal. They have liberated this information from the tyranny of the WSJ.com paywall, where they say the new studio will have a headcount of 60 by the end of this year. Apparently part of the appeal of that area is to be able to poach talent from Southern California studios like Treyarch and Infinity Ward: "There is an extreme talent pool over that we want a part of," says DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson. "It's no secret that our main competitor is there."

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 18:54 Fantaz

siapnar wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:28:
Trevellian wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:03:
So instead of letting the ACTUAL DICE make a Battlefront game.... They rename the shitty studio that made Medal of Honor to DICE LA and hand THEM the Star Wars franchise?
Yikes, is this essentially true?

Bruuuutttallll.

Though, if you look at it this way, MOH's quality barely stood a chance since it was made out to be a stripped-down-from-BF COD clone right out of the gate.
The developer never really had the opportunity to spread it's wings.

Maybe this will be their chance....

Can anyone confirm this is true? EA should've fired the team that did Medal of Honor among the 10% they announced earlier that they would "let go".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 18:06 Flak

Can't wait to see how DICE/EA manage to project liquid shit all over the almost dead Star Wars gaming franchise.

Expect big promises with broad applications at first that are eventually funneled into the console development cycle and spit out like Battlefield 3, a cluster-fuck of unintelligible madness designed to satiate the lowest common denominator, from absolutely abysmal map design, to gimmicky 'features', to non-existent weapon balancing.

Congratulations DICE, EA is so fond of your mediocrity that they're hoping you can bury Star Wars like Battlefield, don't disappoint them!

38. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 17:43 Taskeen

Well, that's the end of any hope for a new Star Wars space sim. No room for X-wing 2013 when they could make buko bucks from FPS type star wars games. My dreams of becoming a TIE Fighter Ace and joining the 181st under the legendary Baron Soontir Fel are gone, forever.

Gotta level up da Light Saber to get a new skin for da Lightsaber and a laser dot attachment for da Lightsaber and a scope attachment for da Lightsaber.

37. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 16:40 Optional nickname

Trevellian wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:03:
So instead of letting the ACTUAL DICE make a Battlefront game.... They rename the shitty studio that made Medal of Honor to DICE LA and hand THEM the Star Wars franchise?

They've already blown it and they haven't even started making a game yet.

"Welp, MOH was such a financial disaster and a failure at retail that we had to cancel the MOH series entirely... We should just let them make a Star Wars game" Brilliant!

It is brilliant. It's the same target audience. EA will earn a Billion dollars in the next 2 quarters. Done. moving right along. Fix Simcity, kthx.

36. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 16:15 Kosh401

Yeah, LA DICE is just EA's marketing and branding machine at work.

If it was the DICE team in Sweden doing it then I might be excited and even hopeful. But then again, I enjoy BF3 a lot and wouldn't want BF4 and DLC suffering from split dev attention.

Will definitely be a wait and see reviews type of thing for whatever LA DICE releases.

35. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 15:52 Fantaz

Drayth wrote on May 15, 2013, 13:11:
So I guess the plan is to use Frostbite for all the games.. so I guess no 1313 then? :/

Sounds like it...

34. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 15:11 Trevellian

TangledThorns wrote on May 15, 2013, 13:45:
If DICE can make a Star Wars: Battlefield then I'm all in!

I don't think you're quite understanding the concept that it will not actually be DICE. It will be Danger Close renamed to DICE LA. Meaning the same failure team that had the abysmal Medal of Honor Warfighter release...

Do people really not read the article at all and just go "oh cool It's DICE!" This is the type of shit EA is relying on with this name change, don't be that guy.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

33. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 14:37 DangerDog

I thought everyone at Danger Close were let go after the lack luster release of Medal of Honor Warfighter. They might have rehired from that pool since some had experience with Frostbite development.  

32. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 14:35 deqer

I guess we now know why EA recently laid off all those employees. Saving up money to start a DICE studio with up to 60 new employees.

31. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 14:35 Tumbler

Are we sure this is Danger Close Games? The article says it's a new studio; DCG is already open, and the kind of employment numbers they're talking about would be lower than what DCG already has.

No, I'm not sure, Reddit had a post saying EA LA and Danger close are being merged into one studio called DICE LA. It links a VG 24/7 article:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/15/ea-opens-dice-la-will-work-on-star-wars-ip/

That article has mentions of people from Danger Close coming over to DICE LA already so I think it's a prediction at this point. (If not just wild guessing)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

30. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:58 DangerDog

So I guess the plan is to use Frostbite for all the games.. so I guess no 1313 then? :/

Pretty sure I read that it was in development hell, they completely started over once. Most likely it would have ended up like another Aliens Colonial Marines and look nothing like the target render gameplay they showed off.

Star Wars Battlefield makes the most logical sense, lets face it they've wanted to do this ever since BF2142. I just don't know if I like the idea of force powers and lightsabers in Battlefield flavored game. This also speaks volumes to the future of the Star Wars franchise, how are they going to replace the awesomeness of Stormtroopers and the Empire for the 'bad guys'?

It'll be Rebel forces against Russian Spetsnaz, I'm calling it now.

29. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:45 TangledThorns

If DICE can make a Star Wars: Battlefield then I'm all in!  

28. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:18 Wash Washburne

They dropped 1313 the moment Lucas sold all the rights. Unless Disney took it back to the drawing board to be re-released, however I highly doubt it.

27. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:13 El Pit

A new Battlefront game every year... Not interested. I want a great single player experience like the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games delivered back in the day. I'm too old for deathmatch and ctf.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

26. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:12 ViRGE

Tumbler wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:38:
Someone mentioned that a Star Wars themed Mirror's edge sequel would be awesome! I got excited by that.

Then EA said, no this studio making all these fine metal of honor game, that is who will make our star wars games!

I guess we can hope that this studio won't be the only one making star wars games...
Are we sure this is Danger Close Games? The article says it's a new studio; DCG is already open, and the kind of employment numbers they're talking about would be lower than what DCG already has.

25. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:11 Drayth

24. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 12:52 Cutter

Oh lord. Rolleyes

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 12:50 Wash Washburne

Meh MoH (2010) and MoH:Warfighter weren't really that bad, they weren't good, but they were playable. Would better if EA/DICE released them as DLCs or expansion packs, as a part of Battlefield 3 but not as stand alone game. There were a few neat game mechanics that would serve well Battlefield 4, if EA/DICE actually thought about it for a min. I personally loved sliding into cover while running.

I know its slightly off topic, but had to make a not of it

22. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 12:44 Warskull

ViRGE wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:36:
What makes a studio a "DICE" studio? DICE is in Sweden. This seems like it's just a branded EA studio, to ride on the coattails of DICE's good name.

Well, the name Bioware has been sullied a bit as of lately, so they can't use it. Plus this studio was responsible for Medal of Honor:Warfighter, so they certainly can't have people remembering that. They ruined the Maxis name and Westwood name already. All they have left for rebranding is Dice and Popcap.

Looks like it is about time for EA to start acquiring some new studio names. Infogrames has been dead long enough that maybe the Atari name holds some weight again.

21. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 12:38 Tumbler

Someone mentioned that a Star Wars themed Mirror's edge sequel would be awesome! I got excited by that.

Then EA said, no this studio making all these fine metal of honor game, that is who will make our star wars games!

I guess we can hope that this studio won't be the only one making star wars games...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo