Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Warren Spector - Why Metacritic Should Be Irrelevant.
The fact is, few of us will ever approach that Platonic ideal of art, commerce and critical acclaim achieved in equal measures. And that means each of us must decide for ourselves how to define success. For me, that means achieving a kind of self-satisfaction - knowing my team accomplished the goals we set as effectively as we could, given circumstances. For me, that means living up to the priorities captured in a personal mission statement. For me, that means doing well enough, commercially, that someone will step up and fund my next game.

Gamer Horizon - Star Wars and EA is a Good Thing.
When I think of EA I don’t see “the worst company in America.” I see the publisher that gave me some of my favorite experiences this generation like Skate, Mass Effect 2 and to a lesser extent, Mass Effect 3, Dead Space, and Mirror’s Edge. I see them in the business of entertainment, and like all in the business, they have some misses minor and major. If Kathleen Kennedy is okay with the Star Wars brand in their hands, then so am I. I haven’t been this excited about the future of Star Wars in over a decade.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

3. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:02 avianflu

Notably, Metacritic forces game devs to look at an aggregate of gamer's scores. Something that game devs generally dont bother doing or dont like doing.

And there it is on one web page that EVERYBODY knows about in the gaming industry.

That aggregate gamer score doesnt express everything important of course, but it says something about the desirability of a particular game to consumers.

Metacritic for all of its faults offers insights into the game consumer's mind that arent offered in any other way.

Warren should realize that metacritic can be a useful tool for game devs, if taken with a grain of salt.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 09:28 Verno

What is a Gamer Horizon? Some cheetos and anime set against a picturesque sunset?  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

1. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 09:28 InBlack

Star Wars and EA is a Good Thing...

These kinds of articles do so much to discredit and discourage any honest gaming 'journalist' left out there, or indeed anyone in the gaming industry who wants to express an honest, unbiased, opinion.

I have a nifty blue line!

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo