Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Warren Spector - Why Metacritic Should Be Irrelevant.
The fact is, few of us will ever approach that Platonic ideal of art, commerce and critical acclaim achieved in equal measures. And that means each of us must decide for ourselves how to define success. For me, that means achieving a kind of self-satisfaction - knowing my team accomplished the goals we set as effectively as we could, given circumstances. For me, that means living up to the priorities captured in a personal mission statement. For me, that means doing well enough, commercially, that someone will step up and fund my next game.

Gamer Horizon - Star Wars and EA is a Good Thing.
When I think of EA I don’t see “the worst company in America.” I see the publisher that gave me some of my favorite experiences this generation like Skate, Mass Effect 2 and to a lesser extent, Mass Effect 3, Dead Space, and Mirror’s Edge. I see them in the business of entertainment, and like all in the business, they have some misses minor and major. If Kathleen Kennedy is okay with the Star Wars brand in their hands, then so am I. I haven’t been this excited about the future of Star Wars in over a decade.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 13:28 netnerd85

Agent.X7 wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:56:
netnerd85 wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:43:
InBlack wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:31:
nin wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:10:
avianflu wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:02:
Notably, Metacritic forces game devs to look at an aggregate of gamer's scores. Something that game devs generally dont bother doing or dont like doing.

And there it is on one web page that EVERYBODY knows about in the gaming industry.

That aggregate gamer score doesnt express everything important of course, but it says something about the desirability of a particular game to consumers.

Metacritic for all of its faults offers insights into the game consumer's mind that arent offered in any other way.

Warren should realize that metacritic can be a useful tool for game devs, if taken with a grain of salt.

I use it as a jumping off point for various industry reviews, but there's no way in hell I'd read the end user side...

Yeah but say a game you were thinking about buying got 50% user score on metacritic. IE half the users who tried it wrote unfavorable reviews on it. Wouldnt that strike you as particularly damning? You can say a lot of things about particular reviews and 0 point reviews and 10/10 reviews, but the average score rarely lies when you have a large enough sample.

Note: Im talking about user reviews, not paid 'professional' reviews.
No because people just vote 0 or 10 these days.

It should just be did you enjoy the game or not. That's all people want to know. If they enjoy XX game with they enjoy this XX game. People will make up their own mind about price (I hope/believe).

You just said that 0 or 10 reviews are bad, but then said it should just be enjoy or not. Wouldn't 0 or 10 equate to the same thing? You're asking for a binary answer while decrying binary answers.
LMAO!

SHHHH!!!

Moving on

It's my first day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 13:16 Ratty

Verno wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:50:
I don't know, I find Metacritic super helpful for upcoming release dates and to have a central spot for things I missed.
That's what I use it for too. 0% useful for the reviews. I usually rely on people I know on boards like this who have the same taste in games and the same gripes as me in helping to decide whether to buy a game. But during the year I'll read about an interesting game in development on some site then forget about it forever. It's good to have one place where I can go, oh that's right. I remember being interested in that game a while back.

21. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:59 Cutter

A) Shut up, Spector.

B) SWTOR. 'Nuff said.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

20. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:56 Agent.X7

Notably, Metacritic forces game devs to look at an aggregate of gamer's scores. Something that game devs generally dont bother doing or dont like doing.

And there it is on one web page that EVERYBODY knows about in the gaming industry.

That aggregate gamer score doesnt express everything important of course, but it says something about the desirability of a particular game to consumers.

Metacritic for all of its faults offers insights into the game consumer's mind that arent offered in any other way.

Warren should realize that metacritic can be a useful tool for game devs, if taken with a grain of salt.

I use it as a jumping off point for various industry reviews, but there's no way in hell I'd read the end user side...

Yeah but say a game you were thinking about buying got 50% user score on metacritic. IE half the users who tried it wrote unfavorable reviews on it. Wouldnt that strike you as particularly damning? You can say a lot of things about particular reviews and 0 point reviews and 10/10 reviews, but the average score rarely lies when you have a large enough sample.

It should just be did you enjoy the game or not. That's all people want to know. If they enjoy XX game with they enjoy this XX game. People will make up their own mind about price (I hope/believe).

You just said that 0 or 10 reviews are bad, but then said it should just be enjoy or not. Wouldn't 0 or 10 equate to the same thing? You're asking for a binary answer while decrying binary answers.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:50 Verno

MisterBenn wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:00:
I haven't seen the need to go to Metacritic for anything in a long time. Even with the law of averages, I concluded long ago that 90% of user reviews are people with some kind of agenda, one way or the other. Even the professional reviews are of questionable value. The biggest releases control the review process before release, and get reviews from many casual sources like newspapers that rate out of 5 or 10 and never give bad reviews so your can get a pile of 90s and 100s included in the metascore. Most publications only award scores in the 80-100 range anyway unless there are incredibly exceptional circumstances.

Rather than go to aggregate sites I would suggest getting a source or two that you learn to trust and go straight to them. Most importantly, wait for the game to release and watch the truth on some gameplay videos.

I don't know, I find Metacritic super helpful for upcoming release dates and to have a central spot for things I missed.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

18. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:41 Ratty

And that means each of us must decide for ourselves how to define success. For me, that means achieving a kind of self-satisfaction - knowing my team accomplished the goals we set as effectively as we could, given circumstances
Publishers just LOVE that!

17. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 12:00 MisterBenn

I haven't seen the need to go to Metacritic for anything in a long time. Even with the law of averages, I concluded long ago that 90% of user reviews are people with some kind of agenda, one way or the other. Even the professional reviews are of questionable value. The biggest releases control the review process before release, and get reviews from many casual sources like newspapers that rate out of 5 or 10 and never give bad reviews so your can get a pile of 90s and 100s included in the metascore. Most publications only award scores in the 80-100 range anyway unless there are incredibly exceptional circumstances.

Rather than go to aggregate sites I would suggest getting a source or two that you learn to trust and go straight to them. Most importantly, wait for the game to release and watch the truth on some gameplay videos.

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

16. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:59 Creston

ASeven wrote on May 15, 2013, 11:58:
Verno wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:28:
What is a Gamer Horizon? Some cheetos and anime set against a picturesque sunset?

This is the main character:

http://i.imgur.com/ZPUPDON.jpg

Haahahahahaha. Bravo.

Creston

15. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:58 ASeven

Verno wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:28:
What is a Gamer Horizon? Some cheetos and anime set against a picturesque sunset?

This is the main character:

http://i.imgur.com/ZPUPDON.jpg

14. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:56 FU

MC is great. The more popular the better. Keeps companies honest. Everyone on there isn't a friend. The average score is generally a excellent gest of the final game score.

And about the score being tied to pay. Who problem is that? And who should fix that?
I'm a customer.

13. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:34 Creston

I don't agree that Metacritic should be irrelevant, but a dev should be smart enough NOT to sign a contract that stipulates they only get paid if their MC score is 85% or higher (Hi Obsidian!)

So for Warren to say "I only care about getting my next game funded" makes sense.

MC still has some marginal value to judge a game at a glance, though. (even though said value is getting less and less, with more and more review sites simply being paid shills these days.)

As for the toolbag who hasn't been this excited about Star Wars in over a decade, please for the love of God, disconnect yourself from the internet and go think about what you just said.

I see the publisher that gave me some of my favorite experiences this generation

That just means your experiences have been sorely fucking lacking.

Creston

12. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:26 Acleacius

Wow, Warren Spector has feelings, who knew?

HOW DARE, game developers have to look at Metacritic to achieve specific PROFIT BASED sales, based on functionality preferences of customers!

I say we all call up publishers providing funding and DEMAND they no longer use/require profit based metrics like Metacritic! Warren has legitmate feelings, unlike customers, who spend money.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:09 TurdFergasun

Thats why you take a bit of time and actually read through some of the reviews to tell if they were written by either trolls, fanbois, paid shills, or people with something actually valid to say. I can't say the "professional" reviews offer anything more in credibility and transparency in that way than the user scores, probably more expensive to hire user reviewing shills than it is professionals these days. The actual use by game designers and publishers of metacritic is another deal altogether, and makes games worse IMO because it gives the publishers a better understanding of the one thing they all cater to the most: The lowest common denominator.

10. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 11:00 InBlack

As someone who studied mathematics (a long time ago) I know something about the law of averages. If there is a large enough sample, lets say 1000 users for example, then the 0/10 and 10/10 reviws cancel each other out. I will agree that reading the individual reviews is basically a waste of time, but the general average user score can and in most cases does tell you quite a bit about the game itself.  

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:51 nin

Yeah but say a game you were thinking about buying got 50% user score on metacritic. IE half the users who tried it wrote unfavorable reviews on it. Wouldnt that strike you as particularly damning?

Based on the mouth breathing I've seen post reviews there, no.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:43 netnerd85

7. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:38 ldonyo

Metacritic's 'official' score is just crap and there is no way EA and anything is good anymore.  

6. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:31 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:20 avianflu

yes but my point is that **game devs** have to look at the gamer scores whether they want to or not. They cannot escape it (because it is on metacritic). Hence, it drives game devs nuts that metacritic exists.  

4. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 10:10 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo