Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month

Trion Worlds announces RIFT is succumbing to the pressures of the market, and the MMORPG is going free-to-play as of June 12th. This page has details on the move and an explanation of what this means to current players of the game along with a trailer where Bill Fisher and Simon Ffinch discuss the changes. Here's word:

All players will be able to explore the entire world of Telara for free and will have access to the expanded in-game RIFT Store where a variety of services--mounts, boosts, wardrobe items, and more--will be available for purchase. An optional subscription will still be available that grants a slew of “Patron” benefits and bonuses to maximize the RIFT experience. Trion will celebrate its current and previous subscribers with loyalty and currency rewards for their time spent playing RIFT thus far.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 12:09 BitWraith

Well to say I never use it is a bit strong. I've gone a whole month, though, without turning on my XBox. 5ish bucks a month is not a lot to pay, and sometimes I get a hankering for a round or two of Halo, so it's worth it to me.

I've been paying 15 bucks a month for WoW since launch. I have stints where I don't play that as much as I should either. 15 bucks a month is much harder to swallow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 11:22 Verno

Proudfoot wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:44:

Um, I don't get this. I've had XBOX 360 for years now and never paid for the Live membershit... membership. The only thing paying gets you is chat with buddies and Netflix. (Which is a con having to pay someone else to use a service you are paying for too...)

Pretty much everything is gated on Xbox Live so unless all you do is play singleplayer games you are forced to pay for it. Go look at the feature breakdown between Gold and Silver sometime, compare that to the PS3. There's a reason that XBL has such a large subscribership percentage vs the installed base of the platform, to fully use the features they advertise you need to subscribe.

I don't subscribe either because I got sick of their bullshit, I'm just always amused when I see other people claiming they pay for it out of choice when in reality (to me) it's a pretty questionable setup.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

17. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 10:53 nin

I've not used live in years - don't miss it at all. Don't pay for that shit!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 10:44 Proudfoot

Verno wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:49:
BitWraith wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:45:
It's like XBOX live (which I never use). I pay it yearly because it's so cheap, and it's there if I need it.

Err sorry to nitpick but pet peeve with XBL, you pay for Xbox Live because you have to, they just make it seem like there's a choice

Um, I don't get this. I've had XBOX 360 for years now and never paid for the Live membershit... membership. The only thing paying gets you is chat with buddies and Netflix. (Which is a con having to pay someone else to use a service you are paying for too...)

I have work and PC's for those (respectively).

15. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 10:22 Angrius Maximis

wraithnix wrote on May 15, 2013, 01:36:
I liked this game, played up to 60, had a bit of fun. But there's no endgame. None. And, no, I don't count PVP...I want something that continues the story, or at least enhances it. I canceled my subscription about a year ago...now that it's F2P, I might log in and see if it's any better, but I suspect not.

No end game? What the fuck are you playing? There are raids, duo content in new adventure dungeons and more. Quit trying to be a queer solo casual player and maybe you will find things to do

14. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 09:49 Verno

BitWraith wrote on May 15, 2013, 09:45:
It's like XBOX live (which I never use). I pay it yearly because it's so cheap, and it's there if I need it.

Err sorry to nitpick but pet peeve with XBL, you pay for Xbox Live because you have to, they just make it seem like there's a choice

13. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 09:45 BitWraith

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2013, 20:06:
I still don't understand this. Why is it all or nothing? Why not do tiered memberships? F2P, $5, $10, and $15 bucks a month. I hate most F2P and nothing really justifies $15 per for me, but I'd happily go in on $5 for some fundamentals and maybe some cash shop - so long as prices are reasonable and not insane like Neverwinter where they're going to price themselves out of business.

I agree. If Rift had a $5 price point per month, I would have been paying that subscription all this time. It's like XBOX live (which I never use). I pay it yearly because it's so cheap, and it's there if I need it.

12. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 08:45 Verno

Sepharo wrote on May 14, 2013, 23:26:
Rift is still the only MMO I have fond memories of. The rest I just feel like, "Why the fuck did I play that for a month?"

I can't really even place it... It certainly wasn't the lore or the setting, I guess it was just the polish and variety of things to do.

I thought WoW had a lot more going for it than Rift but I do think that Rift came to the closest to achieving similar levels of polish as WoW.

Off topic but it's kind of sad in most MMOs how the majority of the content gets ditched once new expansions come out. Areas you fondly remember are ghost towns and new players just use power level methods to skip through things as fast as possible.

11. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 03:18 InBlack

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2013, 20:06:
I still don't understand this. Why is it all or nothing? Why not do tiered memberships? F2P, $5, $10, and $15 bucks a month. I hate most F2P and nothing really justifies $15 per for me, but I'd happily go in on $5 for some fundamentals and maybe some cash shop - so long as prices are reasonable and not insane like Neverwinter where they're going to price themselves out of business.

Because the F2P model makes more sense than a traditional subscription based model?

I have a nifty blue line!

10. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 02:34 Armengar

People pay the subs though. Dont like it? Dont pay it. Plenty of other games.

I have loony mates that have been wowing from the word go almost (with more than one account). Thats some serious money.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 01:36 wraithnix

I liked this game, played up to 60, had a bit of fun. But there's no endgame. None. And, no, I don't count PVP...I want something that continues the story, or at least enhances it. I canceled my subscription about a year ago...now that it's F2P, I might log in and see if it's any better, but I suspect not.  

8. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 15, 2013, 00:03 Acleacius

Even though I actually had fun, liked and played Rift, the lore actually does suck, though I could be forgetting something.

At least from the stand point of the darkside (whatever...have to look it up...Defiant) it's really dumb. In the lore (unless they change it from release) the Defiant are turning the population into zombies to fight the Guardians which we learn from the starting area. Without spending too much time writing this nonsense out, anyone familiar with the plot probably knows how ridiculous this is with the long term goals of the game.

Sadly I was forced to play Definant, since RL friends who talked me into playing the game were probably too drunk or stoned to even be paying attention to the plot.

Yeah, I would play this again too but I'm not really happy with many of the F2P methods. I really think if most mmogs dropped their monthly rate to $5 to $10 for full access it would be much better and cash shops similar to GW2 or just flat out GW2 model.

The corporate douchbags only seem happy with excessive profits. It's why they failed, forcing $15 a month fees for at least 5 years, too long.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

7. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 23:26 Sepharo

Rift is still the only MMO I have fond memories of. The rest I just feel like, "Why the fuck did I play that for a month?"

I can't really even place it... It certainly wasn't the lore or the setting, I guess it was just the polish and variety of things to do.

6. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 22:52 Jivaro

I loved Rift, it just fell victim to my gaming budget. F2P can be done very wrong, I hope they do it right because I would like to revisit the game.  

5. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 22:50 Yakubs

I remember getting bored about 2 hours into the trial version. They'd have to pay me to play this.  

4. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 22:41 Wallshadows

I doubt WoW would ever implement a F2P system since they sell the shit out of what would be F2P items in the form of macrotransactions such as mounts and pets on top of a subscription. They're doing quite well with this.

Also, I believe with the way Blizzard is now a publicly traded company, it might scare off too many shareholders and would rather reap the benefits of the current model as opposed to the risk of losing those shareholders due to less dolla dolla bills. Then again, I'm no economist so I could just be talking out of my ass!

3. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 22:29 Alamar

This saddens me, but I hope they do well by it...

-Alamar

2. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 21:51 Agent.X7

WHo was it that was telling me Rift was doing so well they'd never do F2P?

I kind of like this game. I beta tested it. I played release for a while, and I just picked up Storm Legion for $10. (And 1 year of time for the price of 2 months) BUT, GW2 pretty much sealed the fate of most sub based games. They were already declining, but now that people see what you can get without a sub, there's no reason to pay. I mean, TERA lasted, what? 10 months? SWTOR, even the mighty EQ/EQ2. All F2P now. WoW doesn't seem like it is too far behind.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

1. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Next Month May 14, 2013, 20:06 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo