Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow

A Kickstarter update for Grim Dawn has word that their alpha release will happen tomorrow, providing Kickstarter backers with a first chance to play the action/RPG from Crate Entertainment, the startup developer that includes some of the folks behind Titan Quest (thanks Joao). While they emphasize that they still plan on providing a DRM-free version of the final game as promised, they also explain the alpha will be released via Steam, and anyone put off by the Steam DRM can get a refund. Here's why they are doing things this way:

The initial alpha release will be distributed through Steam because that proved to be the easiest way to provide an exclusive alpha for backers and put out patches while we are still actively developing the game and fixing issues. Other download options may be rolled out later depending on how long alpha lasts / what we are able to manage. We realize that some people have a hatred of Steam and hope that it will not upset anyone excessively, but it was the fastest and best solution given the complexity of trying to set up our own authentication server due to the numerous different pre-Kickstarter / Kickstarter / post-Kickstarter reward tiers with different levels of access and numbers of keys, partnering with Humble Store to handle all the key distribution and not having given out keys that were uniquely tagged to each reward / game tier.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 16, 2013, 14:55 Axis

There's no thinking about it DJ, these single player ARPGs with multiplayer functionality have ZERO economy. Only ones like D2 and PoE do.

Show me Torchlight 2s economy as an example. When you come up empty-handed, go look at the trading forums in PoE.

You don't realize this, seriously?

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 20:31 dj LiTh

Axis wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:52:
dj LiTh wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:17:
Axis wrote on May 15, 2013, 15:49:
I can't get excited for an ARPG without an economy and meaningful reason to loot shit -- aka D2, PoE - there's zero longevity regardless of how much fun it is to romp through at first.

Still hope it turns out ok, games are stale as shit anymore...

Mind explaining how there wont be an economy or reason to loot things in ANY arpg let alone grim dawn?

Dj are you saying you don't know the difference between games like Torchlight 2 and PoE in terms of multiplayer economy?

I just don't see a reason to play any ARPG beyond a playthrough if there's no underlying true economy, and preferred to hardcore characters in these type of games.

D2 lives forever for this reason... tho it's been trumped by PoE finally.

I'm curious as to why you think GD wont have a "underlying true economy"?

23. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 17:52 Axis

dj LiTh wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:17:
I can't get excited for an ARPG without an economy and meaningful reason to loot shit -- aka D2, PoE - there's zero longevity regardless of how much fun it is to romp through at first.

Mind explaining how there wont be an economy or reason to loot things in ANY arpg let alone grim dawn?

Dj are you saying you don't know the difference between games like Torchlight 2 and PoE in terms of multiplayer economy?

I just don't see a reason to play any ARPG beyond a playthrough if there's no underlying true economy, and preferred to hardcore characters in these type of games.

D2 lives forever for this reason... tho it's been trumped by PoE finally.

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 17:17 dj LiTh

20. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 15:49 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

19. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 10:35 ASeven

First impressions: Wow.

Second impressions: Fucking wow. And this is only an alpha. I think we potentially have a true classic here.

18. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 10:14 Optional nickname

This has got to be the best announcement ever, on the day of D3 1yr anniversary. Looking very forward to buying Grim Dawn later this year.  

17. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 10:13 dj LiTh

Well speaking just for myself, i sure as hell enjoyed TQ a ton more then i did PoE or TL2  

16. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 08:59 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 15, 2013, 07:21:
Hope there is a way to kick up your tier - I have the 32.00 one and would be interested in a higher tier.
As I just mentioned
Dev wrote on May 14, 2013, 23:04:
They also mention that they are still trying to work out a way for people to upgrade pledges

Specifically they mention on the forum link I gave:

Upgrades: Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to provide upgrades. It seems foolish that it is this complicated but the limitations of how we / Humble Store can process transactions online make it difficult to set up an automated process and due to our small size, we don't have the customer support staff to do it manually.

Humble Store is working on a solution to this and say they should be able to get something working in the next week or two.

15. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 08:40 Verno

InBlack wrote on May 15, 2013, 03:27:
jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2013, 00:13:
What makes people think this will be superior to something like PoE or even TL 2?

Yeah I have no idea why this game is so hyped? I mean TQ was OK but it had nothing on D2:LOD. I guess I will wait for the final release version and see.

I don't know, I got a lot of replay value out of TQ, the game just needed some tweaking.

I don't see why every game has to be D2:LOD either, this game is going its own way and as long as its fun I don't really care if it's the best ARPG ever (they're all flawed in some form btw).

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

14. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 07:21 xXBatmanXx

Hope there is a way to kick up your tier - I have the 32.00 one and would be interested in a higher tier.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 06:34 Julio

Dev wrote on May 14, 2013, 23:04:
To be absolutely clear: there will still be a DRM-free, Steam-free final release for those who desire it, as we promised.

Good to know, glad they are sticking to their promises.

12. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 03:27 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2013, 00:13:
What makes people think this will be superior to something like PoE or even TL 2?

Yeah I have no idea why this game is so hyped? I mean TQ was OK but it had nothing on D2:LOD. I guess I will wait for the final release version and see.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 00:37 xXBatmanXx

Alamar wrote on May 14, 2013, 22:32:
ASeven wrote on May 14, 2013, 20:52:
On the anniversary of D3 the alpha for what could perhaps become the best ARPG of all time comes out.

Oh sweet, sweet irony, how I love thee.

Irregardless of D3, Grim Dawn will not be the best ARPG of all time...

I 'called' it first : )

-Alamar

What is then?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 15, 2013, 00:13 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 14, 2013, 23:43 dj LiTh

Really looking forward to this release. I missed the kickstarter but after d2, titan quest blows everything else away by a large margin.  

8. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 14, 2013, 23:12 Creston

Let's hope they figured out how to fix the rubberbanding bug. If they did, I will gladly pick up a copy on release.

Creston

7. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 14, 2013, 23:04 Dev

Rhialto wrote on May 14, 2013, 19:52:
I think this

While they emphasize that they still plan on providing a DRM version of the final game as promised

should read as

While they emphasize that they still plan on providing a DRM free version of the final game as promised

no?
Correct.

Full details here on the official post on the official forum:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7158
The KS updates have info too
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn/posts

This bears repeating:

To be absolutely clear: there will still be a DRM-free, Steam-free final release for those who desire it, as we promised.

They also mention that they are still trying to work out a way for people to upgrade pledges (remember only $50+ pledges have alpha access, mostly $35+ have beta). See this chart for who has alpha/beta:
http://www.grimdawn.com/images/kickstarterchart.jpg

I ended up doing a thing during the KS where I got the $78 double pack, which was two $50 levels for the equiv of $39 each, so I do have access to all that.

6. Re: Grim Dawn Alpha Tomorrow May 14, 2013, 22:32 Alamar

ASeven wrote on May 14, 2013, 20:52:
On the anniversary of D3 the alpha for what could perhaps become the best ARPG of all time comes out.

Oh sweet, sweet irony, how I love thee.

Irregardless of D3, Grim Dawn will not be the best ARPG of all time...

I 'called' it first : )

-Alamar

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo