Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Turning One

Blizzard announces that tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of the release of Diablo III, their action/RPG sequel. The game has had its ups and downs over its first year, claiming the biggest PC game launch in history followed by 12 months of scrambling to better align the game with player expectations, resulting in changes to its difficulty level, items, co-op, and more. They are celebrating the game's birthday by requesting players send them birthday greetings, saying they will retweet the best of them, though the worst of them might make for some entertaining reading as well.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:43 Jivaro

Saboth wrote on May 14, 2013, 11:52:
Recently, I got sort of bored with the 3rd playthrough on Torchlight 2 and felt the need for a new Diabloish game. I searched around, and thought about Path of Exile, but you know, I'd rather wait for the retail experience. So, instead I picked up Sacred 2 and it's really pretty good. Still managing to avoid D3 like the plague, hurray.

Sacred 2, particularly with the expansion, is an excellent game. I don't know if it has the same kind of replayability as many games of the genre, but the 1st time or two through it was a great gaming experience for me. Some of the hidden "easter egg" type stuff is kinda corny, but fun none the less.

Also, you shouldn't bother waiting on PoE. The game is great and the character wipes are done. I don't think it really is ever going to be any more "retail" than it is now. The experience is simply going to evolve and get more and more polished over time, just like any other online game. Since it is free, I enthusiastically recommend giving it a shot if you are a fan of the genre.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:43 Fibrocyte

Coincidentally, I just tried out Path of Exile again today and have to say it has much improved since my attempt during BETA. Let's see if it it any good after playing it at length.  

26. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:35 Verno

Optional nickname wrote on May 14, 2013, 12:23:
How does a dead horse blow out its candles? nnneeeieieieiggghhhh...fffff..zzzzzzzzzzzz ,

May your souls never be trapped, oh CEO's behind this failed experiment called Diablo3. cd-Coaster of the Millenium.

I played some 8 weeks of the game at launch, but quicly got discouraged when I learned of the fixed algorithms that drive the engine to this carrot-on-a-stick pay-to-brag game. Most spineless fanbois appear to call this 'RNG'. It's a shame they know no logic or common sense. I hope they're not banking on winning the McDonald's McNopoly contest anytime soon either.

Happy 15th Anniversary, Gran-Turismo. That is where my best wishes will be sent. To a creator with vision, and integrity.

Man you have to stop dropping acid before you post or whatever is going on there.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

25. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:25 MattyC

I quit long ago, never really got very far into A4 Inferno and I didn't think I would be back. I started playing again after the most recent patch and am having a bit of fun. I doubt I will continue to play for a long time, but they really did make a ton of improvements since launch. It doesn't change the fact that it is absurd for a game that spent that long in development to take another year after release to get this good, but it is something. I think D3 wasn't really a traditional Blizzard quality game, but it was still fun.

I can't speak to the AH, never really used it.

24. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:23 Optional nickname

How does a dead horse blow out its candles? nnneeeieieieiggghhhh...fffff..zzzzzzzzzzzz ,

May your souls never be trapped, oh CEO's behind this failed experiment called Diablo3. cd-Coaster of the Millenium.

I played some 8 weeks of the game at launch, but quicly got discouraged when I learned of the fixed algorithms that drive the engine to this carrot-on-a-stick pay-to-brag game. Most spineless fanbois appear to call this 'RNG'. It's a shame they know no logic or common sense. I hope they're not banking on winning the McDonald's McNopoly contest anytime soon either.

Happy 15th Anniversary, Gran-Turismo. That is where my best wishes will be sent. To a creator with vision, and integrity.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2013, 12:30.

23. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:23 Fion

I've played around with the game a little bit here or there since the disastrous launch. A few new features are nice but largely little has changed. My largest problem (beyond no single-player/no lan) is the absolutely horrid loot design. Gear is boring and in a game that is all about phat loot, that's a death knell. How the hell did Blizzard design this game, make a gear system even more boring than WoWs, and think it would be fine. I don't give a shit if it's 'cool looking'. If the stats are always the same 3-5 things in 'every' item from level 1- 60, I'm not going to give a fuck.

Apparently they are 'looking into' the loot system but at Blizzard speed that means 'we'll fix itemization in the 2015 expansion.'

22. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:16 Prez

Diablo 3 is having a birthday? Fuck that loser.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:06 Mr. Tact

PoE was a pleasant surprise. Good enough that I bought some extra storage tabs just to give them some money...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 11:52 Saboth

Recently, I got sort of bored with the 3rd playthrough on Torchlight 2 and felt the need for a new Diabloish game. I searched around, and thought about Path of Exile, but you know, I'd rather wait for the retail experience. So, instead I picked up Sacred 2 and it's really pretty good. Still managing to avoid D3 like the plague, hurray.  

19. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 11:24 Creston

Happy Birthday D3. Have one dismissive wank.

Creston

18. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 11:17 Jivaro

Two things would get me to play this game again. (1)Fixed loot and (2)random maps. Neither one is an easy fix really, and thus my hopes that an expansion will somehow make D3 the game I wanted in the first place are very...very...low. (edit: I know "fixed loot" isn't very descriptive, but honestly we have discussed this one to death, I am pretty sure anyone who cares knows what I mean by now)

There are other options out there, with more coming. Very good options. Just a bummer to me that this particular franchise fell short in the two areas I really didn't expect to be a problem.

Also, just on principle, I am not going back until their is an offline single player. They got my money already so I am sure it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to Blizzard, but now that a console is going to have it the PC should have it too.

17. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 11:10 nin

What's interesting is how little shilling is going on for DIII, unlike Steam which has an Apple-esque uncritical and simple-minded fanatical user base which will megaphone their comments in any and all forums

I'll give that a 7/10 for attempted hijacking...not unlike your last hijack attempt.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 11:09 Optional Nickname!

HorrorScope wrote on May 14, 2013, 10:53:
I wonder why this games gets so many chances...

Acti-Bliz has enough money and status to counter bad press and Diablo II was so universally beloved that awareness is very high.

What's interesting is how little shilling is going on for DIII, unlike Steam which has an Apple-esque uncritical and simple-minded fanatical user base which will megaphone their comments in any and all forums, there's almost no support for Blizzard or DIII, paid or otherwise.

Diablo II was a good game, Diablo III is bad business.

15. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 11:01 Pigeon

I think the RMAH screwed things up the most. Because blizz was trying to make money of it, suddenly they have a real vested interest in making gear, the only way of improving your character in D3, very difficult to acquire. I'm not sure if the Gold AH alone would have had as devastating an effect as the RMAH, but I get the feeling the RMAH drove a lot of design decisions, and that does not make for a fun game.  

14. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 10:53 HorrorScope

I wonder why this games gets so many chances, where better executed games don't even get a first chance often. I guess for many they are Blizzard's bitches.  

13. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:50 Verno

Yakubs wrote on May 14, 2013, 10:35:
I think there's another core problem with the game design that contributes a lot to why items feel so crappy. It's their horribly uninformed decision to copy the "primary attribute" system from WoW. It basically divided the entire item set into discrete categories where, as say a Barbarian, you are NEVER going to use an item that rolls dex or int (or whatever they're called, I can't remember).

Further, it creates the situation where your primary goal is to find gear where a single number is increased. Whereas in D2, you didn't care nearly so much about your attributes which meant there was more room for variety in the items that each player finds attractive. In D3, there is no disagreement on what's an attractive item AND there's an auction house which totally kills a normal player's motivation to actually farm for items.

Yeah, great point that's been glossed over with many of the games other issues.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

12. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:37 flechett3

Getting good items won't happen until the items (especially rare/unique/set) are balanced to enhance and expand the skills the plays use, instead of ALL being straight stat upgrades. Right now all the end-game item hunt is is looking for items that increase Primary Stat, Vit, Resist All, with certain damage or defense modifiers thrown in depending on item type. You don't go grab a weapon because it has a low-level bleed effect, or because it has a 1.2 chance to freeze a target.
Dammit, remember how awesome it was to find +skill items? Not having damage be skill-based was a terrible design oversight. They could have had set items change the basic function of skills, to provide new and varied game styles. They could have in turn provided a shit more ton of sets, instead of a whole bunch of crappy leveling sets (which... you won't ever find unless you go buy it off the AH), with each set bringing new play options to the table.
Charms, runes, more gems, all could have have enhanced the gameplay. An option to show only certain 'levels' of loot (if angband will let me filter drops, why the hell not d3?). Is anyone really going to argue that grey and white items add some sort of benefit to this game in it's current state? Why must I look at them at all, when all they do is get in the way when I'm trying to loot that yellow item (or tome, or gem, which could be auto-picked up!).
Blah, whatever. This game still bothers me.
Edit: That being said, the change to monster density is definitely a change for the better. Now if they'd only add another 50-75% more monsters again, it'd feel even better.

11. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:35 Yakubs

I think there's another core problem with the game design that contributes a lot to why items feel so crappy. It's their horribly uninformed decision to copy the "primary attribute" system from WoW. It basically divided the entire item set into discrete categories where, as say a Barbarian, you are NEVER going to use an item that rolls dex or int (or whatever they're called, I can't remember).

Further, it creates the situation where your primary goal is to find gear where a single number is increased. Whereas in D2, you didn't care nearly so much about your attributes which meant there was more room for variety in the items that each player finds attractive. In D3, there is no disagreement on what's an attractive item AND there's an auction house which totally kills a normal player's motivation to actually farm for items.

10. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:33 Warskull

Did they ever get around to implementing the PvP? I know they worked on it. They really screwed this game up.  

9. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 10:27 InBlack

ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2013, 10:16:
Verno wrote on May 14, 2013, 09:51:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 14, 2013, 09:15:
So depressing... was really looking forward to a great D3. Here is to hoping an expansion makes it worth acquiring...

I think an expansion could really turn the game around. The new producer seems to get it more than Jay Wilson whose robotic approach to development made the game feel very shallow, not to mention his weird antagonism of the community. Unfortunately he's forced to deal with many design decisions that you can't really resolve with a small patch.

The auction houses are a bit of a problem though, in a game all about loot collection you can't really have perfect rolls of every item front and center, it diminishes the drops you do find and makes everyone seek the top percentile loot while ignoring many potential upgrades.

I have faith that an expansion could fix the game. Getting good items seems somewhat fixed now from what I heard, but there's still no character progression. Namely, putting points in skills to make them better, so that you can play the way you want to and have multiple characters of the same class.

ItBurn has the main gist of it. One other thing that was a colossal fuckup was the whole tone and presentation of the game itself. Too much WoW influence? I doubt all of those things can be fixed in an expansion though. Thats why they should rather cut and run.

I have a nifty blue line!

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo