Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Turning One

Blizzard announces that tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of the release of Diablo III, their action/RPG sequel. The game has had its ups and downs over its first year, claiming the biggest PC game launch in history followed by 12 months of scrambling to better align the game with player expectations, resulting in changes to its difficulty level, items, co-op, and more. They are celebrating the game's birthday by requesting players send them birthday greetings, saying they will retweet the best of them, though the worst of them might make for some entertaining reading as well.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 15, 2013, 08:58 Verno

MattyC wrote on May 15, 2013, 08:34:
Beelzebud wrote on May 14, 2013, 18:50:
People keep bringing up an expansion. Here is all I'm going to say about an expansion for Diablo 3:

The RMAH should have paid for one 10 times over again, and they really have completely lost touch if they plan on charging for an expansion, while making who-knows how much money on their RMAH.

They make what? Like $1 per RMHA? How much activity is on the RMAH? People make this argument but it seems silly to me. They run WoW, they don't need the money and I doubt the AH even covers server costs for D3.

I don't mean to say that the game doesn't continue to have issues, but I doubt the RMAH is some super cash cow.

Agreed. You know what's a bigger cash cow? Retaining value in the base game and residually selling millions.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 15, 2013, 08:50 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on May 15, 2013, 08:38:
I don't mean to say that the game doesn't continue to have issues, but I doubt the RMAH is some super cash cow.
I don't know if it, or isn't. I would LOVE to know, but I'm guessing we never will. Remember, they also get a cut off the top when people transfer money off the account.

Only way we'll hear about that is from unnamed ex-employees, with no way to verify it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

46. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 15, 2013, 08:38 Mr. Tact

I don't know if it, or isn't. I would LOVE to know, but I'm guessing we never will. Remember, they also get a cut off the top when people transfer money off the account.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

45. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 15, 2013, 08:34 MattyC

Beelzebud wrote on May 14, 2013, 18:50:
People keep bringing up an expansion. Here is all I'm going to say about an expansion for Diablo 3:

The RMAH should have paid for one 10 times over again, and they really have completely lost touch if they plan on charging for an expansion, while making who-knows how much money on their RMAH.

They make what? Like $1 per RMHA? How much activity is on the RMAH? People make this argument but it seems silly to me. They run WoW, they don't need the money and I doubt the AH even covers server costs for D3.

44. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 15, 2013, 08:27 nin

and while the game was a let-down per points that you all have already brought up, it still isn't *that bad* of a game.

The problem with that is people (rightfully so) compare it to D2...and from that perspective, it's a let down, and a step backwards in almost every way...

This comment was edited on May 15, 2013, 08:35.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 15, 2013, 02:02 deqer

"the biggest PC game launch in history"

Yah.. Misleading everyone by calling it "Diablo III", rather "Diablo Online"

Yah.. they're(Blizzard) such winners, aren't they... ... *sarcasm*

42. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 19:56 tron

i got my copy for free (preordered 2 copies of the collector's edition, and sold one of them on ebay for $250), and while the game was a let-down per points that you all have already brought up, it still isn't *that bad* of a game. The patches have been slowly making it better, and i have hopes that the new director "gets it" and will continue to make the game better and better. at launch inferno was unplayable, but now with MP options and the new density fixes via 1.08, it is actually fun to progress through. once you get a high enough lvl character, and good MF, you do find decent rares, but not nearly enough or them. and the legendaries still mostly stink, but all of that is supposed to be fixed in 1.09.

it will likely never be the sequel to D2 that i had hoped for, but i do find it to be fun to play, and getting better with each patch. some things can't be "patched out", like the weak cartoony story, lame villans, and lack of mystery. but this game does do a lot of things better than D2. followers and their stories are nicely done, npcs are way better than D2 (covetous shen is an excellent npc), the action is every bit as good as the action in D2 - actually better because the controls/UI are better. the graphics are much better. the music unfortunately suffers due to the loss of Matt Uelmen, but the audio effects are well done. cinematics are exceptional.

all in all, i find it fun to take a character through the game, and level them up into paragon levels. it does need item improvements and end-game work badly, but i believe that these things will come in time. i'm optimistic, and hoping for the best.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

41. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 19:42 TurdFergasun

Ward wrote on May 14, 2013, 18:05:
take your pick

Rest In Peace Diablo Franchise, Alas you died to young

Happy Birthday Wow Jr.

Grim Dawn almost in Alpha WILL be the REAL D3 (i sure hope so, and so far is looking like it)

Holy shit! Grim Dawn looks absolutely tits! wish i would have gotten in on the KS. Never played TQ. Played D3 beta before RMAH was introduced, and liked it for the most part, at least the part of act1 which was open, sad it turned out the way it did.

if Grim Dawn, and Diablo3 were real people and they had a fight, Grim Dawn would easily Fuck That Loser.

40. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 18:50 Beelzebud

It's like they get subscription fees for not adding any content, and it seems like some people would be fine with paying them for an expansion. Wake up!

39. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 18:05 Ward

take your pick

Rest In Peace Diablo Franchise, Alas you died to young

Happy Birthday Wow Jr.

Grim Dawn almost in Alpha WILL be the REAL D3 (i sure hope so, and so far is looking like it)

This comment was edited on May 14, 2013, 18:23.

38. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 17:53 Graham

I should have known how bad it was going to get when they killed off Deckard Cain in the first act. I didn't realize quite how bad it was going to get until the final fight, mind you.

After getting to Act 3 inferno and hitting a wall it started to set in: I'd taken time off work for less than nothing.

On the upside, I got a kitten that week, and it's his one year anniversary of living with me. Little man is getting himself a fishcake in the shape of Jay Wilson - blob-like, with no heart.

37. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 17:02 Julio

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 14, 2013, 11:09:
What's interesting is how little shilling is going on for DIII, unlike Steam which has an Apple-esque uncritical and simple-minded fanatical user base which will megaphone their comments in any and all forums, there's almost no support for Blizzard or DIII, paid or otherwise.

Definitely true that Diablo 3 has no Apple-esque fan club unlike Steam. On another note...Here's my birthday greeting to Diablo 3: Happy birthday, fuck that loser.

36. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 17:01 Pigeon

OpticNerve wrote on May 14, 2013, 16:21:
My main issues with Diablo 3:

- Horribly thought-out rune and skill system. Almost every end-game player used a specific set of skills and runes for their character to maximize dps and/or survivability. Anything else was either because the player didn't know better or was changing it up out of boredom.

- RMAH. Enough said.

- As said by another poster here, items were just plain boring and just basic stat-padding of the worst kind. You never got excited about getting or finding new awesome loot that could have been a game-changer for your character. It's the simple basis of what ARPGs thrive on and it's really surprising that D3 didn't have something this obvious.

About the only thing I liked about the D-IIIís skill/rune system was you could easily change out runes and skills. I always felt a little trapped by the few and far between skill and stat resets of D-II. It seemed Iíd be punished with a crappy character build if I tried something new. That said I wouldnít want it to be as easy as D-IIIís system where thereís no investment in building your character.

As Iíve said before, I think the RMAH is the real reason behind the horrible drops and boring loot. If drops were better or at least more interesting (stats special properties etc.), people wouldnít be as motivated to pay real money when they could make due with something they found themselves.

35. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 16:21 OpticNerve

My main issues with Diablo 3:

- Horribly thought-out rune and skill system. Almost every end-game player used a specific set of skills and runes for their character to maximize dps and/or survivability. Anything else was either because the player didn't know better or was changing it up out of boredom.

- RMAH. Enough said.

- As said by another poster here, items were just plain boring and just basic stat-padding of the worst kind. You never got excited about getting or finding new awesome loot that could have been a game-changer for your character. It's the simple basis of what ARPGs thrive on and it's really surprising that D3 didn't have something this obvious.

- Plotline. When the main evil acts like a cheesy cartoon villain, you know you have problems, "Nuh uh, I'll kill you this time do-gooder!"

- No offline mode.

So until patches (screw an expansion, they need to fix this for free) solves all of those issues I listed above, I'm just going to list Diablo 3 with Brink as bad purchases that wasted my time and money.

So yeah, happy birthday Diablo 3 and fuck you loser.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2013, 16:28.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

34. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 15:38 dj LiTh

Verno wrote on May 14, 2013, 15:21:
Grim Dawn Alpha is starting tomorrow for backers, they warn its going to be very limited and rough so don't go in expecting production quality (I'm sure some will bitch regardless).

I'm a big fan of Titan quest, i missed the Grim Dawn kickstarter, but i have a feeling i'll be all over that come release.

33. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 15:21 Verno

Grim Dawn Alpha is starting tomorrow for backers, they warn its going to be very limited and rough so don't go in expecting production quality (I'm sure some will bitch regardless).  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

32. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 15:06 Parias

ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2013, 13:41:
Sacred 2 was a pile of poop. That's my opinion anyway.

S2 got pretty repetitive, but it did pull in a few hilarious "WTF" points for some of the crazy stuff you could equip on your characters:

http://tinyurl.com/ceq96k8

Made for hilarious fun in multiplayer.

31. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 13:41 ItBurn

Jivaro wrote on May 14, 2013, 12:43:
Saboth wrote on May 14, 2013, 11:52:
Recently, I got sort of bored with the 3rd playthrough on Torchlight 2 and felt the need for a new Diabloish game. I searched around, and thought about Path of Exile, but you know, I'd rather wait for the retail experience. So, instead I picked up Sacred 2 and it's really pretty good. Still managing to avoid D3 like the plague, hurray.

Sacred 2, particularly with the expansion, is an excellent game. I don't know if it has the same kind of replayability as many games of the genre, but the 1st time or two through it was a great gaming experience for me. Some of the hidden "easter egg" type stuff is kinda corny, but fun none the less.

Also, you shouldn't bother waiting on PoE. The game is great and the character wipes are done. I don't think it really is ever going to be any more "retail" than it is now. The experience is simply going to evolve and get more and more polished over time, just like any other online game. Since it is free, I enthusiastically recommend giving it a shot if you are a fan of the genre.

Sacred 2 was a pile of poop. That's my opinion anyway.

I fully agree with PoE though.

You probably already all played it, but Titan Quest is a great diablo clone that still looks great today.

30. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 13:41 Fantaz

Well it's because you get paid to play it! (real money auction house) and it's not exactly a turd... it's a great game!  

29. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 12:44 Lord Tea

Quite amazing how much play- and discussion time this turd still gets a whole year after its defecation...

Sorry for the harsh words but I played Diablo 1 and 2.

UPSA = United Police States of America

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo