Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter

A Kickstarter campaign is now underway for Shadow of the Eternals in addition to the looser "donation" campaign being run directly for this "spiritual successor" to Eternal Darkness. It was recently reported that this game was not using Kickstarter because developer Precursor Games is based in Canada, but the campaign is live, even though this developer consisting of Denis Dyack and other Silicon Knights veterans is still located in the great white north. The campaign seeks $1.35 million, and is currently $1.32 million shy of that goal. Thanks Develop.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 15, 2013, 01:36 NegaDeath

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2013, 19:02:
etc etc

Independent studies were commissioned and it was proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that for every dollar in credit that was given it generated several times that amount and that money was invested right back into the province. And it is a fact that after the credit was cancelled the industry left. The rest of what you said has nothing to do with the situation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 19:02 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on May 14, 2013, 17:40:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2013, 17:01:
As a Canadian taxpayer that works in an industry that doesn't get any tax breaks I'm loathe to part with my money for any that do regardless.

We had this argument in SK last year with the removal of a film tax credit. The money saved by cancelling the credit was dwarfed by the money lost by the film industry packing up and leaving. If a tax credit attracts businesses to the province and leads to a net economic benefit I have no problem with it.

And I've never seen anything that proves that there is a net benefit to it. I used to work in film and concert - lighting - and have plenty of friends who still do and most of them are VASTLY overpaid relative the work they do and the knowledge it takes to do it, so yeah, tax credits for that industry is one I'm strongly opposed to given how much money they make regardless.

Fact is, without disposable income no one is buying anything so it's in any multinational's interest to see that local economies are strong. And to say they won't do it without tax credits is absurd. Companies will always go where they can make sales. Yet, since we've slashed taxes and given the companies credits and free-reign wages have not only stagnated but fallen.

It wasn't that long ago - our parents generation - that owning houses was an easily affordable reality - it's not like we've run out of space or anything. We didn't have crap like dollar stores, etc. In fact when we had a protectionist environment and strong unions the economy was never better. There were obvious downsides in the unions - public ones in particular - getting too much relative to their value - but now it's gone back the other way where we're seeing virtual robberbarons abound and people are "grateful" for the opportunity to work - on money that can't even really support them, much less a family - while the elites make out like bandits. This is dangerous. This is what leads to revolution. History bears that out time and time again. The median is always the best place to be.

So, no, wealthy industries like film, natural resources, et al. in particular do NOT need tax credits. The fall off you're seeing is one precipitated by greed, not economics.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 17:40 NegaDeath

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2013, 17:01:
As a Canadian taxpayer that works in an industry that doesn't get any tax breaks I'm loathe to part with my money for any that do regardless.

We had this argument in SK last year with the removal of a film tax credit. The money saved by cancelling the credit was dwarfed by the money lost by the film industry packing up and leaving. If a tax credit attracts businesses to the province and leads to a net economic benefit I have no problem with it.

12. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 17:01 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on May 14, 2013, 15:21:
The original Eternal Darkness was pretty good. But that was developed when they were a 2nd party under Nintendo, a company who historically keeps very tight reins on its studios to maintain quality. When that was gone they went off the rails, no reason to expect anything different now. And as a Canadian taxpayer I say no more freebies until you can provide quality work.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 15:21 NegaDeath

The original Eternal Darkness was pretty good. But that was developed when they were a 2nd party under Nintendo, a company who historically keeps very tight reins on its studios to maintain quality. When that was gone they went off the rails, no reason to expect anything different now. And as a Canadian taxpayer I say no more freebies until you can provide quality work.  

10. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 14:11 nin

The truly scary part is people keep throwing money at it...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 14:09 saluk

One of the comments said the funding is only for episode 1. Further episodes may or may not happen. Yet some of the reward tiers include further episodes that may or may not happen. Shady as all get out.

Also the video is ridiculous! They talk about their team and how innovative it is in listening to the community, when other devs have been doing this for a while now, and many other kickstarter projects have also claimed. Moreover, some of the devs don't come across as that passionate about the game.

This is the kind of game that doesn't get made in the gaming industry? Really? It's not fundamentally that different to RE:Revelations, and there are quite a few other horror games on the horizon.

Hyperbole. They just can't get the money themselves because no real publisher will touch Dyack with a 10 foot pole. Publishers aren't worried the game wont be able to sell - they are worried the game won't ever be finished.

8. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 12:22 Devinoch

I trust Dyack about as far as I can throw the entire country of Canada. i.e. not one millimeter.  

7. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 11:37 Creston

I wouldn't cross the street to piss on Denis Dyack if he was on fire. Giving him money in advance? Hahahahahahahaha.

Creston

6. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 11:06 ASeven

Verno wrote on May 14, 2013, 10:57:
ASeven wrote on May 14, 2013, 10:25:
I haven't followed Eternal Darkness for a while, could someone explain what's up with this Dyack fellow?

Denis Dyack was the owner of Silicon Knights, the makers of games like Eternal Darkness and Too Human. Through mismanagement, arrogance and hubris he basically bankrupted what was a moderately successful developer. First he embarked on a mission to make Too Human for Microsoft Game Studios. After years of building hype it was at best an okay game but was long over due and over budget, Microsoft cancelled the rest of the trilogy. He also sued Epic for supposed breach of contract over the Unreal Engine. They famously lost that lawsuit and it was discovered they had implemented unlicensed UE code into their own offerings, the judge ordered older copies of their games recalled and destroyed. They did an awful job with XMen Destiny in the meantime.

Employees who worked there described a very disorganized and lazy work ethic combined with very hostile internal politics. Dyack would hear no wrong about Too Human and his other personal projects. He also took significant tax subsidies from the Canadian government despite knowing his studio was in significant financial difficulty and had few future prospects.

tl;dr - you do not want to give your money to any company with Dyack involved.

Ah thanks for the info. I wasn't going to give them anything, this only makes sure I'll remember that name if other projects come up.

Also, the KS is going at $38K.

In the meantime, here's a great KS project people should buy into.

5. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 11:03 nin

I haven't followed Eternal Darkness for a while, could someone explain what's up with this Dyack fellow?

This pretty much covers it.

Also laughing my ass off that one guy is half the posts on their KS comments page.

4. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 10:57 Verno

Denis Dyack was the owner of Silicon Knights, the makers of games like Eternal Darkness and Too Human. Through mismanagement, arrogance and hubris he basically bankrupted what was a moderately successful developer. First he embarked on a mission to make Too Human for Microsoft Game Studios. After years of building hype it was at best an okay game but was long over due and over budget, Microsoft cancelled the rest of the trilogy. He also sued Epic for supposed breach of contract over the Unreal Engine. They famously lost that lawsuit and it was discovered they had implemented unlicensed UE code into their own offerings, the judge ordered older copies of their games recalled and destroyed. They did an awful job with XMen Destiny in the meantime.

Employees who worked there described a very disorganized and lazy work ethic combined with very hostile internal politics. Dyack would hear no wrong about Too Human and his other personal projects. He also took significant tax subsidies from the Canadian government despite knowing his studio was in significant financial difficulty and had few future prospects.

tl;dr - you do not want to give your money to any company with Dyack involved.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

3. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 10:25 ASeven

2. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 10:01 Verno

The answer is still no if Dyack is involved.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

1. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 14, 2013, 09:09 nin

Denis Dyack

Please don't give this guy a penny.

The campaign seeks $1.35 million, and is currently $1.32 million shy of that goal.

Heh.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo