Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale

Metro Last Light is due for release in North America tomorrow, and reviews have started showing up for 4AGames' first-person shooter sequel. The PC version currently boasts an 82 metascore based on 24 critic reviews (naturally there are no user reviews yet). There's still a chance to get the preorder bonuses (the Ranger Mode DLC pack, a digital comic, and a copy of the Metro 2033 novel) and Dealzon has a coupon code for the game on Steam by way of Green Man Gaming that brings the price to $37.50, a 25% savings. Finally, there is a post on DSOGaming explaining how to force the supposedly DirectX10/11 title in DirectX 9 and how to turn of auto-aim, which is on by default even in the PC version, with no menu option to disable it. They also note that there seems to be no way to change the game's default Field of View. Thanks Acleacius.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

33. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 01:34 Nuhauser

Wanting to hear more about the Radeon problems before I pick this up. I'm just running a lowly 6970, but that has been more than enough to run anything that's come out this year. Frijoles, have you tried running it in DX9 mode?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 01:33 eRe4s3r

19 purchases 0 issues

(also i fixed my GMG store checkout issues, was on my end.. bah)

31. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 00:57 mag

Frijoles wrote on May 14, 2013, 00:48:
So I just fired it up, and the game is lagging like a mother fucker. Anyone else having that issue? I'm on an AMD 7900 (something or other). Turning is just a stuttering mess. Feels blurry also, but I can't be certain.

And yeah, the FOV is making me ill. I doubt I can play this much until ti's fixed. Kinda disappointing. I preordered it since the previous one was so awesome. Didn't think they'd fuck it up. The intro movie has me interested.

Ranger mode has two modes under it (regular Ranger and Hardcore). Hardcore turns off all UI elements and makes things harder. Regular Ranger mode eliminates some of the UI and makes things harder as well, just not as hard as the other. One nice little feature of the UI, the dude's watch has local time on it (either that or I just happened to fire it up at the same exact time Steam was showing). I thought that was cool. Can't play though with it stuttering so much.

If it's anything like the first one: Disabling vsync in the game will help a ton with the lagging and stuttering. If you need to have it enabled, do it with the CCC or RadeonPro or what have you.

30. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 00:48 Frijoles

So I just fired it up, and the game is lagging like a mother fucker. Anyone else having that issue? I'm on an AMD 7900 (something or other). Turning is just a stuttering mess. Feels blurry also, but I can't be certain.

And yeah, the FOV is making me ill. I doubt I can play this much until ti's fixed. Kinda disappointing. I preordered it since the previous one was so awesome. Didn't think they'd fuck it up. The intro movie has me interested.

Ranger mode has two modes under it (regular Ranger and Hardcore). Hardcore turns off all UI elements and makes things harder. Regular Ranger mode eliminates some of the UI and makes things harder as well, just not as hard as the other. One nice little feature of the UI, the dude's watch has local time on it (either that or I just happened to fire it up at the same exact time Steam was showing). I thought that was cool. Can't play though with it stuttering so much.

Edit: Got it fixed. Game set me to Very High settings and had motion blur on. I turned it off and lowered the settings a notch. That helped a lot. Now if I could fix the FOV and the 5 minute long (exaggerating) required intro video.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2013, 01:02.

29. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 00:24 KilrathiAce

You have to pay extra to have hard difficulty available in the game, fov locked, auto aim on even on PC? Do they simply love to add more reasons for someone like me not to buy their games? Must be.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

28. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 00:21 netnerd85

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:54:
netnerd85 wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:06:
Yosemite Sam wrote on May 13, 2013, 20:52:
TB says
That guy is a douche of the most first class douches.

He also knows his shit. And well, the irony of you posting that is thick indeed.
No I have talked with him, he's a complete dick. And full of his own shit, he thinks VERY highly of himself.

27. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 00:13 Cutter

nin wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:15:
$37.50 is a little too good to pass up...

No it's not. Don't do it, nin! Just wait a month for some fixes to come out and the price will be half. It should come down fast on this one.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 14, 2013, 00:11 Cutter

The ONLY downside o GMG is you may not get a Steam key if they're doing a pre-load until launch. The few times this has happened they've gladly offered me a refund if I wanted it. I have nothing but love for GMG and I'm glad they're doing so well.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 23:59 nin

Agent.X7 wrote on May 13, 2013, 23:52:
Closed Betas wrote on May 13, 2013, 23:45:
stay far away from green man gaming... you have been warned.

You do know that several members here have been buying from GMG for a while, right? I've never heard them say anything bad about the experience.

12 purchases over the last couple of years, and not a single issue...he's been warned!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 23:52 Agent.X7

Closed Betas wrote on May 13, 2013, 23:45:

You do know that several members here have been buying from GMG for a while, right? I've never heard them say anything bad about the experience.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

23. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 23:45 Closed Betas

22. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 23:40 Acleacius

Yeah, it's extremely suspicious design to lock down fov and auto aim. The developers and publisher are basically telling PC gamers to 'go fck ourselves". I've been on the fence about it and as much as I'm interested I'll wait. It's obvious PC gamers did NOT get the "development respect" we deserve based on the obvious financial profits of our platform sales. That's not forgivable and should make any PC gamer wait at least 6 months before they buy it.

50% off sale during the holiday season would run about $25 US even with Ranger Mode included.

Now we just need someone to make a REAL Stalker, since the original developers seem incapable of it, based on their obsession of higher graphic quality at the cost of broken game play design.

Thankfully we finally got a solid Boiling Point/Far Cry, with Far Cry 3. Too damn bad that wingsuit can't get us from tower to tower.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2013, 23:47.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 23:08 Jerykk

I assume they'll add a FOV slider and aim-assist toggle to the options in a patch.

Even with those things, I can't say I'm too interested in the game. The first game was far too linear and scripted for my tastes. Also, the AI was pretty terrible and using bullets as currency in a game that revolves around shooting was a really stupid idea.

I wish someone would make another STALKER game with the production values of the Metro games.

20. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 22:48 Redmask

TB says

He's got nothing on you in that regard.

19. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 22:44 DangerDog

what a joke  

18. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 22:28 Overon

I await the community to give us Ranger mode hack and fov hack.  

17. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 22:13 MattyC

TB says

... Why exactly?

16. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 22:01 nin

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:54:
TB says

He also knows his shit. And well, the irony of you posting that is thick indeed.

Indeed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 21:57 Mad Max RW

jacobvandy wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:55:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:51:
jacobvandy wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:34:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:24:
Widescreen monitors with a locked narrow FOV is unplayable for me.

He says, with no idea of what the FOV actually is... Only that it is not able to be easily changed.

I know exactly what the FOV is you assumptive fuck. The original and this one use a vertical measurement for the FOV which roughly equals 65-70 degrees. On a widescreen monitor anything under 90 is virtually unplayable. 80 is pushing it. 70 is garbage. That's fine for television screens at a distance but not widescreen LCD computer monitors. At least with the original you can simply edit the value in a few config files.

Do you have a source for that, or are you assuming, too?

(lolumad)

Try looking it up yourself.

14. Re: Metro Last Light FOV Locked; DX9 & Aiming Workarounds; Reviews; Sale May 13, 2013, 21:55 jacobvandy

Mad Max RW wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:51:
jacobvandy wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:34:
Mad Max RW wrote on May 13, 2013, 21:24:
Widescreen monitors with a locked narrow FOV is unplayable for me.

He says, with no idea of what the FOV actually is... Only that it is not able to be easily changed.

I know exactly what the FOV is you assumptive fuck. The original and this one use a vertical measurement for the FOV which roughly equals 65-70 degrees. On a widescreen monitor anything under 90 is virtually unplayable. 80 is pushing it. 70 is garbage. That's fine for television screens at a distance but not widescreen LCD computer monitors. At least with the original you can simply edit the value in a few config files.

Do you have a source for that, or are you assuming, too?

(lolumad)

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo