Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews

Here's a trailer from GamesHQMedia with a look at footage from The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, the upcoming third-person shooter that was formerly a first-person shooter. This is called a gameplay clip, but its almost entirely game cinematics. There are also some informational screens, but they have fun with the covert nature of this installment in the UFO series with redactions, so the kind of background we get is "August 1962 - researchers find _____ in the _______ mine in ______" (our guesses in this game of Mad Libs included "Klingons" and "Uranus"). And since nothing makes it harder to keep up with assorted impressions of a game like a good embargo, there is now an overwhelming assortment of previews of the game on Computer and Video Games, Destructoid, Eurogamer, games.on.net, IGN, Joystiq, Kotaku, NowGamer, Polygon, Shacknews, and Strategy Informer. Finally, there are interviews about the game on Strategy Informer and VG247.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 11:11 Creston

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2013, 00:21:
VG247 has a fair amount of gameplay footage:

Footage

Thanks Jerykk!

Edit: Looks basically exactly like Mass Effect, but with a 60s theme. I'm not sure why human agents have all these powers, but perhaps they will explain that during the story (freebasing alien technology?)

More disconcerting is that the AI is terrible. At 2:30, he gives his 2 squad mates orders to take cover behind a wall, and one of them, like a fucking tard, goes and sits on the OTHER SIDE of said wall, in full view of approximately 800,000 aliens. I guess they liked that 'feature' so much in Mass Effect they decided to copy it?

The Alien AI is also pants. They walk straight into mines that they literally saw being placed right in front of them, they do not scatter when grenades are thrown at them, they sit behind cover waiting to be picked off even though they outnumber the humans about 4 to 1 and do not charge or flank, and finally, when the human player flanks THEM, they just sit there and don't even respond to him.

I've changed my mind. I'll pick it up when it's 5 bucks.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 14, 2013, 11:19.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 03:59 Wash Washburne

For me X-Com FPS would only work if it was some sort of a hybrid of Natural Selection 2 and BioShock/Fallout 3 (but without VATS), so far none of the footage, past and present, are really convincing for me to throw my moneys at them, not to mention their version of "X-Coms story" doesn't really hold much value, it's Team America...fak yeah!!  

17. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 03:25 InBlack

Beamer wrote on May 13, 2013, 19:33:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on May 13, 2013, 18:40:
Sir Graves wrote on May 13, 2013, 16:58:
Wait, this is a third-person shooter? Darn. I like first-person when it comes to shooters. So no thanks.
Yep -my preference also, too bad they changed it even though I have played a few decent 3rd person games. There's just something that about the 3rd person that is wrong. Then again, I grew up pre-console and never cared for 3rd person.
And if they are 'afraid' to show off a few minutes of actual in game play, I have my doubts. --Pre-order? Not a chance.

"I grew up pre-console."

Great. Not sure what that means, really. I played plenty of 3rd person games on the PC, long before Doom or whichever game you feel created the FPS genre.
So I have no clue why you seem to imply that being a PC guy means you don't like TPS, or that they're a console thing.

PC gamers can be really, really weird and have zero concept of history.

And these would be? No really, I cant think of a single one other than that tank game and maybe some formula1 simulators that looked like ass. And these dont really fall into the 3rd person category anyway.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 01:35 Prez

SlimRam wrote on May 14, 2013, 01:29:

Footage

After seeing THIS video, yeah that gets me interested in the game. Thanks for finding it ! I'm kind of split between FPS and TPS, heck I like 'em both.

Yeah, that's a WAY better video if you are trying to get an idea of how it plays. Just from the video I'd say it has some Mass Effect-type gameplay working. That's either good or bad depending I guess on whether you like the combat in that series or not.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 01:29 SlimRam

Footage

After seeing THIS video, yeah that gets me interested in the game. Thanks for finding it ! I'm kind of split between FPS and TPS, heck I like 'em both.

Slightly Off Song Lyrics: Coward of the County, Kenny Rogers

Tommy turned around they said
Hey look, old yeller's leavin'

You could've heard a pin drop
When Tommy locked the door, and dropped his pants...

14. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 14, 2013, 00:21 Jerykk

Footage

13. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 20:06 Yifes

Ugh. This is going to fuck up the XCOM storyline. I wish they'd just make it a stand alone game, instead of constantly trying to force it into the XCOM universe.  

12. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 19:33 Beamer

Marvin T. Martian wrote on May 13, 2013, 18:40:
Wait, this is a third-person shooter? Darn. I like first-person when it comes to shooters. So no thanks.
Yep -my preference also, too bad they changed it even though I have played a few decent 3rd person games. There's just something that about the 3rd person that is wrong. Then again, I grew up pre-console and never cared for 3rd person.
And if they are 'afraid' to show off a few minutes of actual in game play, I have my doubts. --Pre-order? Not a chance.

"I grew up pre-console."

Great. Not sure what that means, really. I played plenty of 3rd person games on the PC, long before Doom or whichever game you feel created the FPS genre.
So I have no clue why you seem to imply that being a PC guy means you don't like TPS, or that they're a console thing.

PC gamers can be really, really weird and have zero concept of history.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 18:40 Marvin T. Martian

10. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 16:58 Sir Graves

9. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 16:41 Tumbler

Hmmm, LA Noire with aliens. Weird...not exciting, just odd.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 14:38 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on May 13, 2013, 11:37:
I think their definition of 'gameplay' differs from mine...

I mean, there were 3 non-consecutive seconds that might be gameplay.

-Alamar
Ditto. It's more of a teaser with some quick shots of in-game cut-scenes thrown in. Which makes it very hard to evaluate the gameplay in any way.

7. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 12:19 Cutter

Wtf? 2 seconds of grainy gameplay is a gameplay trailer? Afraid to&#65279; show off the game? Epic fail.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 11:41 Techie714 ©

Looks pretty cool! Color me interested, not sold.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 11:37 Alamar

I think their definition of 'gameplay' differs from mine...

I mean, there were 3 non-consecutive seconds that might be gameplay.

-Alamar

4. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 11:35 Creston

It looks decent, but sadly that's about all I can say for it.

I'll pick this up a few months after release for 10 bucks.

Creston

3. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 10:24 Wallshadows

I can't wait till conspiracy theorists reuse bits of this game to make a super serious Youtube video.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

2. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 10:23 InBlack

Looks like Mass Effect with more camp thrown in for good measure. Even features typical three-foot cover mechanics. Im not sure why I would want to play this game, I want more XCOM damnit but proper XCOM ala the recent remake...  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 10:15 Riker

This looks infinitely better than the piece of shit that got canned. They made the right call.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo