Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Man, I got an emergency alert on my phone a bit ago, as the heavy rains around here have triggered a flash flood warning. We weren't really planning on this when we headed out pretty early today for supplies for a cookout tomorrow, but that's worked out pretty well, because I think they were onto something with this flood stuff... it's a scene out there.

Scenic Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: New Splitter Pals.
Stories: Bike lanes led to 49% increase in retail sales.
Movie theater publicity stunt triggers police response. Thanks brother19.
Science: MIT-trained engineers building flying hybrid car TF-X.
Media: My First Crowbar - Half Life Controller.
Future First Person Shooter - Real Life Call of Duty MW4 + Battlefield 4 +
Auction: Rare Video Game Manual Fetches Over $1,000 In Auction.
The Funnies: ActionTrip Comic Strip: EA's Star Wars Library.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2013, 09:31 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on May 13, 2013, 08:01:
Apparently the feeling is that there are enough "lemmings" to go around so that losing a few makes no difference.
I agree this approach is disturbing, but unfortunately it is also not very surprising. I've heard it was an apparel factory, but I have yet to hear any US company names who had connections. Were they really no US companies using workers there?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2013, 08:01 Prez

PHJF wrote on May 11, 2013, 18:17:
Fucking ridiculous, the death toll from that factory collapse in Bangladesh is now 1100.

This is (disturbingly) extremely common in India and surrounding areas. From what I've been reading there's virtually NO oversight on things like adherence to building code and structural integrity inspections, especially when it comes to factories. Apparently the feeling is that there are enough "lemmings" to go around so that losing a few makes no difference. Everyone involved from the builders to the factory managers ought to be hung.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2013, 09:54 KS

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2013, 22:15:
That flying car looks really cool, but I have no idea how that design generates the lift to fly without those lift props.

From the end of plane-based cars in the 50s, to today, the only real contender was something ironically similar to todays hexacopter toys and drones. It had 6 (8?) horizontal fans around the body, with the intent to give redundant safe lift. It was estimated to cost about $100k mass produced. It worked but never seemed to go anywhere even though the guy pushed it for decades.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2013, 09:45 KS

*Auction:*Rare Video Game Manual Fetches Over $1,000 In Auction

nostalgia: n. veneration of that which formed us.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 22:15 jdreyer

That flying car looks really cool, but I have no idea how that design generates the lift to fly without those lift props.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 22:14 jdreyer

nin wrote on May 11, 2013, 19:36:
Hoop wrote on May 11, 2013, 17:43:
Star trek ITD thoughts.
It really could'nt match the surprise of the first fresh facelift of the orginal series however enough twists in the plot to suprise.
I was worried about the Cumberbatch casting as he's just so overexposed at the moment & not all of it great but he just makes you believe.
So all in all a more dynamic plot than The Avengers & just great to traverse the decks of the Enterprise in 3d.

Hmmm, not exactly a glowing review, Hoop.

Couldn't be worse than Iron Man 3.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 21:59 nin

I guess I went in with too much expectation from the first but believe me it was still much better than some pretty brilliant marvel franchises imo.

I do that a lot too. And yeah, Iron Man 3 didn't do much for me, either...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 21:38 Hoop

nin wrote on May 11, 2013, 19:36:
Star trek ITD thoughts.
It really could'nt match the surprise of the first fresh facelift of the orginal series however enough twists in the plot to suprise.
I was worried about the Cumberbatch casting as he's just so overexposed at the moment & not all of it great but he just makes you believe.
So all in all a more dynamic plot than The Avengers & just great to traverse the decks of the Enterprise in 3d.

I guess I went in with too much expectation from the first but believe me it was still much better than some pretty brilliant marvel franchises imo. As I said loved the 3d & how they used it viscerally to demonstrate the vast scale & speeds involved this time round.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 20:29 Cutter

PHJF wrote on May 11, 2013, 18:17:
Fucking ridiculous, the death toll from that factory collapse in Bangladesh is now 1100.

Bangladesh is the world’s second-leading garment exporter, behind China.

It’s been a magnet for protests over low wages, thanks to its minimum salary for garment workers of $37 per month.

Those low labour costs draw the likes of Sears, Gap, Walmart and Loblaw, the Canadian retailer that markets the apparel brand Joe Fresh. Bangladesh has at least 5,000 garment factories that employ more than 3 million workers.

Loblaw has pledged to use the tragedy to force improvements in working standards, though it’s hard to imagine the company didn’t realize what working conditions are like in Bangladesh and other developing-world hubs for garment production.

Only 18 months ago, a fire in another Bangladesh textile factory killed 112 people. While Walmart has since pledged $1.8 million to establish a health and safety institute to train 2,000 factory managers in the country about fire safety, Walmart’s shareholders have rejected a proposal to force suppliers to report every year on safety issues at their factories.

Walmart shareholders. Who cares is a few 1000 brown people have to perish every year to maintain profits, right? And this is just one more in an endless list of reasons to boycott Walmart and other assholes like them where possible.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 19:36 nin

Star trek ITD thoughts.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 18:17 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 17:43 Hoop

Star trek ITD thoughts.

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 17:36 phorce phed

D) Did you know the site was down yesterday evening?

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2013, 17:17 Cutter

A) How was the carousal last night? Were parents justified in locking up their daughters and hiding the booze?

B) How do you get an emergency alert and from whom?

C) What kind of scene is it? Swinging?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo