Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage

A video preview on IGN offers a look at free-roaming gameplay in Watch_Dogs/Watch Dogs, showing off the open-world aspects of the hacking game. They demonstrate the kind of off-mission mischief the player can get into, and take two separate opportunities to tout the game's superiority on "next-generation" consoles, so take two shots if you're playing the next-gen drinking game. There's a similar clip on Hardware Heaven that concludes with a developer interview discussing the game (this may be a tough listen, as the studio part is a bit harsh, while the interview suffers from horrible background noise).

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 13, 2013, 09:36 Quinn

Redmask wrote on May 13, 2013, 07:08:
Quinn wrote on May 13, 2013, 05:57:
It doesn't take a wiz to understand how they can live up to such promises.

It doesn't take a genius to see how they are using misleading statements to make gameplay features sound much more ambitious than they actually are. You know, like pretty much every game ever.

Exactly.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 13, 2013, 07:08 Redmask

Quinn wrote on May 13, 2013, 05:57:

It doesn't take a genius to see how they are using misleading statements to make gameplay features sound much more ambitious than they actually are. You know, like pretty much every game ever.

30. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 13, 2013, 05:57 Quinn

Redmask wrote on May 11, 2013, 09:01:
Zyrxil wrote on May 10, 2013, 17:54:
Now this footage looks far less faked, and is about par for 360/PS3 graphics. The real question is how detailed the world will be. I have strong doubts that they can give a significant amount of NPCs unique histories, routines, and interactions. Probably what it'll boil down to is an event generator that will randomly create variations on maybe 20 preset events in the area around you.

Yeah people need to remember all of the prerelease hype they've been subjected to in the past. The interviews with the producers of this game make it sound incredibly ambitious but reading things like 'everything the player does has a large impact on the world around' or 'every npc is unique!' reeks of marketing and exaggeration. We've heard all those claims before and it's usually ended with 5-10 cookie cutter presets and dumb things like the Red Dead Redemption event generator cycling through the same 15 things.

"everything the player does has a large impact on the world around"
Here I'm thinking you'll bring more heat on yourself more quickly if you're playing god too much. You steal too many people their bank account information, you shoot too much in the open, you drive like a maniac etc. In addition, random NPC perhaps say stuff like 'Oh dear, he's that leet(1337) hacker that keeps causing mayhem!" or whatever.

"every npc is unique!"
You read right through this one. Right through. What they mean here, probably, is that every NPC you scan has a unique albeit random generated personal name and surname, bank account info and status (ie wanted, thief, murderer, single mom, whatever..). Wow!

Somehow, the entire "feel" of the game reeks of Assassin's Creed from what I've seen so far. The IGN guy also made a connection at one point. Like AC, I'm afraid this game too will at some point give you the feeling it's playing you instead of you playing it. At least that's the dull feeling AC gave me.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

29. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 12, 2013, 23:12 netnerd85

Redmask wrote on May 12, 2013, 18:31:
netnerd85 wrote on May 12, 2013, 02:47:

And they have had that for the entire Xbox 360 and PS3 generation. They aren't making a dramatic leap forward and they haven't recently, they are being cheap bastards.

You are delusional if you think anyone is being a cheap bastard with regards to AAA game development. The point which sailed over your head was that visually games look very impressive already, it's design that needs to be expanded significantly. A big part of the reason games are so expensive to make is the need to incessantly ramp up visuals to please a crowd who judges games solely based on them.

Go have a look at CryTek's Sanbox, have a play around. The tools are HERE and they are amazing tools. You don't need to be that talented to create amazing looking levels.

Ok, we'll await your great game then, looking forward to the no effort product that will move everything forward since its so easy.
Lol, deary me.

28. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 12, 2013, 18:31 Redmask

netnerd85 wrote on May 12, 2013, 02:47:

And they have had that for the entire Xbox 360 and PS3 generation. They aren't making a dramatic leap forward and they haven't recently, they are being cheap bastards.

You are delusional if you think anyone is being a cheap bastard with regards to AAA game development. The point which sailed over your head was that visually games look very impressive already, it's design that needs to be expanded significantly. A big part of the reason games are so expensive to make is the need to incessantly ramp up visuals to please a crowd who judges games solely based on them.

Go have a look at CryTek's Sanbox, have a play around. The tools are HERE and they are amazing tools. You don't need to be that talented to create amazing looking levels.

Ok, we'll await your great game then, looking forward to the no effort product that will move everything forward since its so easy.

27. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 12, 2013, 02:47 netnerd85

Redmask wrote on May 11, 2013, 14:23:
netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 14:05:
There are plenty of graphical elements that improve gameplay you know think out side the box.

Take your own advice. Games are already incredibly expensive to produce and the market can't really bear an increase in that regard. I'm all for visual frills, just not when they come at the expense of other parts of the game. The industry needs a settling period for developers to get used to the newer tools and for development costs to come down. If they can eke out some visual frills without upping the costs too much then great but otherwise the market will literally not bear more expensive costs for a AAA game.
And they have had that for the entire Xbox 360 and PS3 generation. They aren't making a dramatic leap forward and they haven't recently, they are being cheap bastards. I don't think you realise the MASSIVE talent in Eastern Europe and Asian at the moment. A lot of smaller companies out source to third parties for DIRT cheap.

Go have a look at CryTek's Sanbox, have a play around. The tools are HERE and they are amazing tools. You don't need to be that talented to create amazing looking levels. It takes bugger all time to learn and play. The Bar has been dropped dramatically and you are okay with that? I know it can be raised higher and now. I'm just saying they should do what they can.

I don't understand one minute you guys hate publishers, the next your like "Oh no I agree with Steve from EA accounting, we just cant afford to make good quality games".

26. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 12, 2013, 02:35 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2013, 18:54:
netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 10:48:
Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2013, 05:51:
It's an IGN guy speaking, not a Ubisoft guy.
And? Still not listening to bullshit. No more lies

You could just watch the video on mute and judge it based on what you see.
Aliens: Colonial Marines.

25. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 12, 2013, 02:06 Prez

Jeez the jaded cynical bastards are just coming out of the woodwork aren't they?

Seriously, though, I have been gaming since graphics were white dots on a black arcade screen. It's not hard for me to be impressed by graphics like these when I think back to what passed for "great graphics" back in the day. I think my jaw hit the floor when I saw Quake for the first time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 12, 2013, 02:01 w00tie

wtf_man wrote on May 11, 2013, 09:31:
Prez wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:15:
I don't give a rat's ass about the discussion about PC vs console - everyone with a brain knows that the only way the PC version will look inferior to the new consoles is if Ubisoft purposely gimps it

I'm not worried about the looks... I'm worried about mouse / keyboard support, graphics options like AA and FOV, etc.

Initially, they came across sounding like the PC was the lead platform... now it's sounding like the next gen consoles are the lead platform.
This video is nothing more than a marketing video for the brainless morons that only play what they're told to play.
Watch it again, look for those key marketing terms. This video is full of them.

23. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 21:09 Xero

Lol, sorry if I offended anyone in the graphics/gameplay issues. Look, I'm sure it's fun gameplay wise(although we've played this stuff a million times before I'm sure), but I was just going with the graphic topic since this is a next gen game and suppose to be coming out on the new consoles... I figure why not poke a little at it's tech  

Currently playing: Skyrim

22. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 18:54 Jerykk

netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 10:48:

You could just watch the video on mute and judge it based on what you see.

21. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 14:23 Redmask

netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 14:05:
There are plenty of graphical elements that improve gameplay you know think out side the box.

Take your own advice. Games are already incredibly expensive to produce and the market can't really bear an increase in that regard. I'm all for visual frills, just not when they come at the expense of other parts of the game. The industry needs a settling period for developers to get used to the newer tools and for development costs to come down. If they can eke out some visual frills without upping the costs too much then great but otherwise the market will literally not bear more expensive costs for a AAA game.

20. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 14:05 netnerd85

Redmask wrote on May 11, 2013, 11:54:
Xero wrote on May 11, 2013, 11:02:
The only impressive thing I've seen here was the dude's coat flapping around and we've seen that before on Mafia 2 :/ Where is the REAL tech at???

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Gameplay > tech fluff, games are already pretty damned impressive visually and expensive enough to make.

19. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 13:01 Fibrocyte

The only impressive thing I've seen here was the dude's coat flapping around and we've seen that before on Mafia 2 :/ Where is the REAL tech at???

I'm with you. All of this gameplay nonsense makes me yawn. Someone wake me when we can see a coat flapping on screen at the same time we can see his pant leg flapping.

18. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 11:54 Redmask

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Gameplay > tech fluff, games are already pretty damned impressive visually and expensive enough to make.

17. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 11:47 netnerd85

First flappy coat I saw was in Max Payne's trailer... back in 1998

And Hidden & Dangerous had all the weather effects you could poke a stick at with moving sky boxes, that was 1999.

Technology has moved forward huh

Imagine a PC only game where they spent 200 million just developing a game that pushed tech to it's limits... I mean damn.

16. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 11:02 Xero

Currently playing: Skyrim

15. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 10:48 netnerd85

14. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 09:31 wtf_man

Prez wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:15:
I don't give a rat's ass about the discussion about PC vs console - everyone with a brain knows that the only way the PC version will look inferior to the new consoles is if Ubisoft purposely gimps it

I'm not worried about the looks... I'm worried about mouse / keyboard support, graphics options like AA and FOV, etc.

Initially, they came across sounding like the PC was the lead platform... now it's sounding like the next gen consoles are the lead platform.

13. Re: Watch_Dogs Free-Roaming Footage May 11, 2013, 09:12 Yakubs

So, all that information that your character can access on the surrounding environment is just a sly way of forcing relentless quest compasses and hint boxes onto the "next gen" player? I can't wait to play the next gen version of "walk toward a HUD icon in third person and then press A." Gonna be thrilling.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo