Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support

The Oculus Rift Developer Forums announce official support for Oculus Rift is now available in a new Half-Life 2 beta, enhancing the virtual reality of Valve's shooter sequel. Word is: "This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think." Thanks Polygon.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 12, 2013, 07:40 theyarecomingforyou

The solution I see is for controls is to make mouse movement relative to the view (i.e. it moves where you aim, not where you face) and make the keyboard turn your view (left/right turn you rather than strafing; they could be modified to strafe with Shift). I'd be surprised if it's competitive for multiplayer, so it would really be best suited to singleplayer games.

As for the resolution, 1080p is a decent starting place. No doubt it will improve through subsequent revisions but if it goes too much higher then a lot of systems will struggle to run it and I imagine the OR will suffer heavily if the framerate is not up to snuff. It would be nice if they focused on upping the refresh rate, as 120Hz would be ideal and they could use OLED rather than TN to get around the viewing angle and colour reproduction issues (the former being less of an issue due to the fixed nature of the headset).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 12:54 jdreyer

quote="Frags4Fun"May 11, 2013, 05:41]
saluk wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:47:
Yeah the final release is supposed to be 1080p. I'm more concerned about what percentage of players are going to have insurmountable issue with motion sickness.

1080p per eye or split with half for each eye(960x540 per eye is what I mean)?

It's split, but it's only split horizontally so it's 960x1080. 960x540 is actually a quarter, since you've split the screen both horizontally and vertically.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2013, 22:52.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 12:39 Tom

Quboid wrote on May 11, 2013, 11:48:
Does it not simulate head movement while the mouse controls body (including weapon) movement? This is how I'd assumed it works. It does require the game support independent head movement but that's not a big deal and it should be reasonably natural.

TF2, at least, has a number of different modes implemented. They're demonstrated in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50fvL_EWYY

19. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 11:48 Quboid

Sleep wrote on May 11, 2013, 05:11:
Yeah the final release is supposed to be 1080p. I'm more concerned about what percentage of players are going to have insurmountable issue with motion sickness.

This is my main concern too. But i think a big problem is you can currently look left and right by moving your head OR moving your mouse. That makes me motion sick even with just trackir. As we get better systems of control like the Hydra and isolate view to just the head movement, im hoping this wont be a massive problem!

Does it not simulate head movement while the mouse controls body (including weapon) movement? This is how I'd assumed it works. It does require the game support independent head movement but that's not a big deal and it should be reasonably natural.

- Quboid

18. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 11:15 Tom

Sleep wrote on May 11, 2013, 05:11:
This is my main concern too. But i think a big problem is you can currently look left and right by moving your head OR moving your mouse. That makes me motion sick even with just trackir. As we get better systems of control like the Hydra and isolate view to just the head movement, im hoping this wont be a massive problem!

Unfortunately the Hydra doesn't solve this problem at all. Actually, it's far inferior to the mouse when it comes to directing view in an FPS. I have one and have developed for it. It's awesome if you want to play air drums or manipulate objects in front of you as if your arm/hand was really in the game world. Other than that, not so useful.

I believe that motion tracking applied to the view will only end up working well for vehicle sims, not FPS's. Some people will adapt to view control schemes for FPS's to various degrees: enough to move slowly through Skyrim, enough to play HL2 solo, and finally maybe even enough to be competitive in TF2. But it will always be awkward for most. This is my prediction anyway as a developer of software with native support for TrackIR and Hydra. Hopefully I will somehow be proven wrong.

17. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 07:43 TheDevilYouKnow

Lol!
Yeah yeah yeah, It's cool and new and shiny and will probably be expensive as gold fillings when first released. COOL ! Something new to tease us with ! Okay random childish rant aside...

I really would like it if Valve would work on either HL3 or ep3. Black Mesa was very impressive in my opinion and although it was put out on a very loooooong time-table at least the team gave us updates on thier progress. They didn't make one penny and I would have gladly paid for it. I'm also glad that Valve made the dive into Linux supporting Linux gamers out there...but please-all these people waiting so long for something that could easily be game-of-year type matierial with the storyline tie-ins and wrap ups alone ( thinking Aperture here ).

In a nutshell I think Valve should cut back on all the hoo-hah ooh-ahh projects and spend some or more resources on finishing up "unfinished business".

Just my two cents worth.

16. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 05:41 Frags4Fun

1080p per eye or split with half for each eye(960x540 per eye is what I mean)?

15. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 05:18 shul

Tried it out, amazing. like it was made for VR. Simply Amazing.

The resolution is still low though :-/

14. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 05:11 Sleep

13. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 01:37 Cutter

Orogogus wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:55:
SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:12:
And what do you mean by cereal?

Cereal is the kids' slang for serious or seriously nowadays, in the same vein as jelly for jealous.

I am...super, duper cereal.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2013, 01:45.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 01:08 Fantaz

Orogogus wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:55:

Cereal is the kids' slang for serious or seriously nowadays, in the same vein as jelly for jealous.

trying to raise his e-peen much on Blue's forums with teh youngins now i see?

11. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 00:55 Orogogus

10. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 00:47 saluk

9. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 00:19 SirKnight

I gave this a go and like TF2, it's pretty awesome looking at things up close. Objects really do feel like they are there and you can grab them.

I played at a point near the end where you're in the room with Breen, Alex, Eli and Judith. I could look around me and it felt like I could grab a hold of the basket thing Gordon is in. It also felt like I could punch Breen in the head as he appeared to be right there.

It's still sad when some people continue to go on about the Rift's low res and other issues. The thing is made for developers so these things don't matter at all. But there's always those that are always grumpy about everything (sooooo many of them here on BluesNews sadly) and will bitch, moan, and complain no matter what.

8. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 11, 2013, 00:12 SirKnight

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2013, 17:39:
Really? Cereal? Glad I didn't buy one of these.

I don't quite get your point. The current Rift is a DEVELOPERS kit, not meant to consumers. So unless you're a developer, there is no point in having one. You act like the rift was some kind of scam.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2013, 00:20.

7. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 10, 2013, 20:20 Tumbler

I want oculous rift support for black mesa.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 10, 2013, 19:26 dj LiTh

Nice, now you can play HF2 in full 480p glory as it was ment to be played on the Oculus Rift!  

5. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 10, 2013, 19:13 Caslon

I recently replayed HL2. I give it a mixed review rating. HL2 wasn't as memorable for me as HL1. I played the 2 Episodes too, also unmemerable.
Half-Life2 was too in love with itself, it had new physics and a story (which got in the way of itself, for me), but beyond that I found re-playing it a bit tedious, just like when it first came out. my 2 cents.

4. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 10, 2013, 18:51 Fantaz

What about Half-Life 3? Or HL2: Ep. 3?  

3. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Support May 10, 2013, 17:58 Beelzebud

Also of note is that Half Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, and Lost Coast were all released for Linux.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo