Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Tanks Lawsuit

Wargaming is suing Chinese companies Changyou.com Limited and Beijing Gamease Age Digital Technology seeking damages and an injunction over a game called Project Tank (aka Tanks Ground War) that's currently in closed beta, saying the game is "disturbingly similar" to their World of Tanks. According to Polygon, the companies "copied the plot, theme, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, and character of World of Tanks, in addition to copying specific features, items, tanks, and artwork." There's a statement from the "Project Tank Team" on GameBox saying: "Continuously sabotaged by Wargaming, Project Tank and Gamebox have never intended to pose a threat or compete at any platform with World of Tanks. The graphics used in Project Tank are our efforts to reconstruct WWII battle scenes. We feel truly shocked and bullied by Wargaming, a giant company of the gaming industry who is apparently “threatened” by a closed beta phase browser game aiming to provide a cheaper, fairer, and more accessible war game to players around the world." Wargaming counters this: "Copying is evidenced by the fact that the designers of Project Tank copied historical inaccuracies found in WoT, each of which does not affect game play, but which was included in WoT to simplify the tank modeling and rendering process," Polygon's quotes the complaint as saying. "Copying is further evidenced by the fact that the designers of Project Tank copied tanks from WoT that never existed in real life, and which included features original to WoT."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 17:35 Cutter

Techie714 © wrote on May 10, 2013, 11:09:
LOL, man the Chinese copy EVERYTHING! Those people just have zero originality...

History would beg to differ, sir. The Chinese had fully lit cities when were were still little more than hut dwellers. Granted, they haven't done much recently. And it still never ceases to amaze me how any one ethnicity can suck so badly at driving.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 16:40 Dacron

Krizzen wrote on May 10, 2013, 15:06:
They should win this so hard. Just look at this (the screenshots)! If you've played World of Tanks, you'll immediately be like WTF? I wouldn't be surprised if they copied most of the game assets completely unmodified.

Heck, why not go for something like a COD knock off? "Call to duty" only $20!

That looks like an alpha version of WOT for crying out loud.

14. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 15:06 Krizzen

They should win this so hard. Just look at this (the screenshots)! If you've played World of Tanks, you'll immediately be like WTF? I wouldn't be surprised if they copied most of the game assets completely unmodified.  

13. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 14:39 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2013, 14:20:
Also, this is pretty damning:
Oh wow. That seems to make it a pretty cut and dry case, to say the least.

12. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 14:35 canuck

Scutty wrote on May 10, 2013, 13:50:
I stopped worrying about the XP grind and just play the tanks that are fun to me. The M4 with a derp gun is awesome as well as many other tier 5-7 tanks. Usually not a silver loss.

That's the way I try to play the game. I have had to grind through tanks I hate, but there are a lot of tanks I just love to play. A perfect example is the Hellcat. Only a tier 6 tank but so much fun to play. I haven't bothered playing past it, it's just too much fun!

11. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

"copied the plot, theme, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, and character of World of Tanks, in addition to copying specific features, items, tanks, and artwork."

I don't think the stuff in green is actionable, but I think the stuff in red is. Maybe Beamer or one of the other lawyers can chime in?

Also, this is pretty damning:

"Copying is evidenced by the fact that the designers of Project Tank copied historical inaccuracies found in WoT, each of which does not affect game play, but which was included in WoT to simplify the tank modeling and rendering process," Polygon's quotes the complaint as saying. "Copying is further evidenced by the fact that the designers of Project Tank copied tanks from WoT that never existed in real life, and which included features original to WoT."

Still, can you sue for something that isn't even being sold yet?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

10. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 13:50 Scutty

I stopped worrying about the XP grind and just play the tanks that are fun to me. The M4 with a derp gun is awesome as well as many other tier 5-7 tanks. Usually not a silver loss.  

9. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 13:36 1badmf

Despoiler wrote on May 10, 2013, 12:19:
Wargaming has a Chinese company that licenses and manages the game in China. While the article says it's Wargaming doing the suing, it will be via their Chinese partner. This will be Chinese company vs Chinese company in court. It should be a fair fight and one that Wargaming should easily win because the 1:1 copying of tanks and tank lines.

somehow 'chinese' and 'fair fight' don't seem to mesh, but i guess when everybody cheats it balances out. and yeah, the grind is ridic. if you have multiple tier 10s, you musta dropped dumptrucks of cash on this game, cuz i bought a month of premium and it took me the whole month just to grind up ONE tier 8 tank. hell the turret alone (american T34) was a tier 5 tank grind by itself.

8. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 12:49 Jivaro

Despoiler wrote on May 10, 2013, 12:19:
Wargaming has a Chinese company that licenses and manages the game in China. While the article says it's Wargaming doing the suing, it will be via their Chinese partner. This will be Chinese company vs Chinese company in court.

yep.

7. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 12:19 Despoiler

Wargaming has a Chinese company that licenses and manages the game in China. While the article says it's Wargaming doing the suing, it will be via their Chinese partner. This will be Chinese company vs Chinese company in court. It should be a fair fight and one that Wargaming should easily win because the 1:1 copying of tanks and tank lines.  

6. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 12:18 Frijoles

canuck wrote on May 10, 2013, 11:47:
I play WoT all the time, it's a really fun game. I don't see how shortening the grind by 50% would make it any more fun. The grind is there so people learn how to play the tanks properly.

The grind to go from German SPG 5 to 6 is horrible. I can assure you, after dozens of matches (if not a hundred by this point), I know how to play an SPG. Same for a bunch of other tanks. The grind is absolutely horrible. And that's just the skill grind. You then have the money grind as well if you didn't drop $50 for a premium money-making tank.

Part of the issue is that if you lose, you just wasted 10 minutes. The xp gain for a loss can barely be called a gain. And a loss will a lot of times cost you silver.

I enjoy the game, but only for a few weeks at a time. When I get the itch to play, I grab the premium membership and play it for a few weeks. But yeah, I wish the grind was about 50% less.

5. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 11:47 canuck

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2013, 09:30:
Yeah good luck with that lawsuit Wargaming. Suing a Chinese software company. Hahahah. Fucking idiots. WoT is a great game, that could have been brilliant had they chosen to lessen the grind by about 50% (yes its that fucking bad) but the fucktards running it are greedy asswipes and this move is obviously motivated by greed and fear and it doesnt help their tarnished image.

I play WoT all the time, it's a really fun game. I don't see how shortening the grind by 50% would make it any more fun. The grind is there so people learn how to play the tanks properly. I have multiple tier 10 tanks and it didn't take me very long to get them. But it does depend on how good you are. If you never do damage, and always lose, grinding certain tanks will be far more difficult.

4. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 11:09 Techie714 ©

LOL, man the Chinese copy EVERYTHING! Those people just have zero originality...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 10:22 Frijoles

According to Polygon, the companies "copied the plot,

Wut? What plot? You mean WW2? Also, yeah.. good luck.

2. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 09:40 Illumin

Yeah, like the Chinese care.  

1. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 09:30 InBlack

Yeah good luck with that lawsuit Wargaming. Suing a Chinese software company. Hahahah. Fucking idiots. WoT is a great game, that could have been brilliant had they chosen to lessen the grind by about 50% (yes its that fucking bad) but the fucktards running it are greedy asswipes and this move is obviously motivated by greed and fear and it doesnt help their tarnished image.  

I have a nifty blue line!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo