Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadow Warrior Revival Planned?

A new website is now live at Shadowwarrior.com, a domain owned by 3D Realms since before the release of Shadow Warrior, their 1997 Build-engine first-person shooter. This is entirely one gigantic screenshot and no details, but the site is a mirror of this subdomain at Devolver Digital which also has this screenshot showing a dead yakuza. This suggests a more realistic follow-up to the first game, which was anything but, as the original Shadow Warrior was filled with tongue-in-cheek humor and goofiness which drew fire from some critics for being racially insensitive and promoting stereotypes, but 3D Realms defended at the time by saying the game was a send-up of bad kung fu movies. The site re-launch coincides with a Devolver announcing a Steam Greenlight campaign for Blade Analyzer Pro which seems to be a marketing spoof. Tying these together is that Blade Analyzer Pro is offered by Zilla Enterprises, which is the fictional evil corporation from the original Shadow Warrior. Thanks Kristian.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 10, 2013, 03:19 Prez

Deleted - wrong thread.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2013, 03:27.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 16:36 Julio

Well the original was a great game, here's hoping this one is good too.  

20. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 16:21 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on May 9, 2013, 13:21:
I just got confirmation from a Flying Wild Hog dev they are in fact developing Shadow Warrior.

Edit... looks like the website was updated http://shadowwarrior.com/

They are making the game more in line with the original concept to avoid being labeled as racist. I dunno, I thought Shadow Warrior was hilarious and fun. This will be a wait and see for sure.

Disappointing news if true. SW's appeal was its over-the-top nature, especially for Lo Wang.

19. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 14:54 Bill Borre

Fortune Cookie Say: Man who buy drowned cat pay for wet pussy.  

18. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 14:04 Cram

Fortune Cookie Say: Man who fart in church sit in own pew  

17. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 13:21 Mad Max RW

I just got confirmation from a Flying Wild Hog dev they are in fact developing Shadow Warrior.

Edit... looks like the website was updated http://shadowwarrior.com/

They are making the game more in line with the original concept to avoid being labeled as racist. I dunno, I thought Shadow Warrior was hilarious and fun. This will be a wait and see for sure.

16. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 12:41 DNForever

I'm not too excited about this. . . Defense Grid 2, now that's another story. I know I played SW at the time but can't remember much about it. I know it was hotly anticipated after Duke 3D and nowhere near as good. I was surprised 3D Realms went with Shadow Warrior after Duke. They could have made a Duke sequel with the build engine that would have done well commercially no matter what, and probably would have been way better than SW. Of course all speculation... my gaming memories of that time are dominated by Quake 2.  

15. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 12:25 Jerykk

Chicken po po po!  

14. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 12:07 Ahumado

Great Game and I loved the humor. STEREOTYPES ? Geez wtch some TV if you want stereotypes...every commercial, well almost every commercial  

13. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 12:03 Darks

Great game and some of the best quotes ever.

I am the Shadow Warrior." "You no mess with Lo Wang"; "Who wants some Wang?" "A ninja knows no fear." "I like nuclear weapons." "Pain is for the weak. You look like a stupid! I stick a firecracker in your ass.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

12. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 12:03 Techie714 ©

Elf Shot The Food wrote on May 9, 2013, 09:16:
WHO WANTA SOME WANG?!

LMAO!! I loved that game!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

11. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 11:38 Necrophob

Creston wrote on May 9, 2013, 11:30:
"You think Lo Pan scared of little snake? HAHAHAHAhaaaa.... oh shit..."
"I throw the shuriken in the dark. And where they land... no one knows!" *whup whup whup* *khtock* "AAAH" "Ah! One landed!"

I loved Shadow Warrior.

Creston

"You want to watch Wang wash wang?"

The "vehicles" in that game were interesting.

10. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 11:30 Creston

"You think Lo Wang scared of little snake? HAHAHAHAhaaaa.... oh shit..."
"I throw the shuriken in the dark. And where they land... no one knows!" *whup whup whup* *khtock* "AAAH" "Ah! One landed!"

I loved Shadow Warrior.

Edit: Lo Wang, not Lo Pan.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 9, 2013, 11:47.

9. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 11:02 ItBurn

Cool. I'm not sure they can keep all the racism and bad taste jokes intact in this day and age though...

Shadow Warrior had the most advanced engine of the Build games and was pretty damn solid overall. Blood is way better though and I also would rather have a remake of that! Jace Hall actually tried to get the project going a couple of months ago, but Atari said no.

8. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 10:35 InBlack

Go play some Blood Dragon. Yes a game like that has been made recently and its fucking rock solid.  

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 10:32 Wildone

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! But in todays liberal PC world it will lose all the funny racist shit, which even at the time my asian friends loved.  

6. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 10:15 wtf_man

Mad Max RW wrote on May 9, 2013, 09:03:
Allegedly it's by Hard Reset developer Flying Wild Hog

I'd rather see the ROTT remake developers, Interceptor Entertainment, make this. Just the few trailers and Dev diaries released of ROTT proves they know how to modernize, yet stay true to the gameplay.

5. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 10:04 Necrophob

I think I'd prefer a Blood remake, as long as it isn't like Blood 2.  

4. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 09:16 Elf Shot The Food

WHO WANTA SOME WANG?!

If they remake this, it has to be done in the ridiculous style of the original. There's no point otherwise.

3. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Planned? May 9, 2013, 09:13 InBlack

I remember this fun game, DN3D style humour coupled with ninja weapons. Pretty fucking great, Im hoping it will follow the same style and wont be just another COD clone with ninja weapons.  

I have a nifty blue line!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo