Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Indie Mine - On the Topic of Indie Games and Game Categorization.
Perhaps weíre just looking at this in the wrong way. Another way people tend to describe indie games is by calling them the innovators of the games industry, which can be true. Indie games do sometimes innovate, and the top-rated and best-selling ones typically do. However, this isnít always true. While Iíd love to say that indie gaming is all about innovation, often it really isnít. Indie developers and studios also need to feed themselves, so they are often just as worried about turning a profit as big publishers and studios are. This isnít necessarily a problem, although it does mean that even indie gaming tends to follow trends, meaning that many of the same type of game are sometimes released within a short period.

View
2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

2. Re: Op Ed May 10, 2013, 00:12 gsilver

At some point, one does need to ask: How many quirky 2D platform-puzzler games or big military shooters do I really need?

Videogames, even good ones, are trivially cheap these days, and I've turned down a lot of bundles even when they were $1 (or less, sans Steam keys) because they just didn't sound that interesting, and that's a big problem with the me-too approach of games these days.

Indie or not, I really don't care. I just want my games to offer something fresh and fun. I bought both Antichamber and Far Cry Blood Dragon on day 1. A one-man team vs the might of Ubisoft... I don't really care, but both of them offered a novel experience, which is what I wanted. Though even being novel isn't as important as being [i]good[/i]... I'd gladly take another iterative release of a Bioware-style D&D 2.5 game

Though I guess I'm somewhat anti-indie... If it isn't published by Valve on Steam, I'm a lot less likely to buy it

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2013, 16:32 jdreyer

Semantics.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo