Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost

Activision Blizzard announces better-than-expected first quarter 2013 financial results, reporting GAAP net revenues of $1.32 billion (compared with $1.17 billion for the first quarter of 2012). The company's non-GAAP net revenues were $804 million ($587 million for the first quarter of 2012). As for earnings: "For the quarter ended March 31, 2013, Activision Blizzard’s GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.40, as compared with $0.33 for the first quarter of 2012. On a non-GAAP basis, the company’s earnings per diluted share were $0.17, as compared with $0.06 for the first quarter of 2012." This includes word that WoW has lost another 1.3 million subscribers ("mainly from the East, but in the West as well") along the way. Here are their selected business highlights:

• As of March 31, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with 8.3 million subscribers.²
  • For the first quarter, Blizzard Entertainment had two top-10 PC titles in both North America and Europe with Blizzard Entertainment’s StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm and Diablo® III.¹
  • As of March 31, 2013, in North America and Europe combined, Activision Publishing was the #1 publisher overall for the quarter, including accessory packs and figures, with the #1 and #2 best-selling franchises – Skylanders and Call of Duty®.³
  • In both North America and Europe, including accessory packs and figures, Activision Publishing’s Skylanders Giants™ was the #1 best-selling game overall in dollars for the first quarter of 2013.³
  • For the quarter, in North America and Europe combined, Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty: Black Ops II was the #2 best-selling title in dollars.¹
  • During the quarter, non-GAAP digital revenues from Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty franchise increased more than 100% year over year.²
  • On May 1, 2013, Activision Publishing announced that it will release its new Call of Duty game, Call of Duty: Ghosts, on November 5, 2013.
  • On April 29, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment announced that it will release Diablo III for the Sony PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system later this year. As announced previously, Blizzard also plans to adapt the game for the Sony PlayStation 4.
  • On March 22, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment announced Hearthstone™: Heroes of Warcraft™, a new cross-platform free-to-play game for Windows®, Macintosh®, and iPad®.
  • On March 12, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment launched StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. As of the end of its first two days of sales, Heart of the Swarm had sold through approximately 1.1 million copies worldwide, including both retail and digital sales.²
  • On February 5, 2013, Activision Publishing announced Skylanders SWAP Force™, the newest installment in the popular Skylanders franchise.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 23:34 Creston

1.1 million copies in 2 days for SC2? Isn't that significantly less than the first SC2 game?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 23:25 Prez

I think the really remarkable thing in regards to Blizzard is that they still have over 8 million people paying a monthly fee to play an ancient MMO that was never really that compelling to start with.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 23:06 Wallshadows

Devil's advocate but the game is nearly 10 years old, of course it'll start to dip in subscription numbers.  

13. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:52 Slick

Blackhawk wrote on May 8, 2013, 22:47:
Oh, Blizzard has always known they'd lose subscriptions eventually, and they planned around it. They aren't 'crashing', they're on the downhill end of the curve that they've been working around for years.

this.

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:47 Blackhawk

Oh, Blizzard has always known they'd lose subscriptions eventually, and they planned around it. They aren't 'crashing', they're on the downhill end of the curve that they've been working around for years.  

11. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:44 s1mon75

I honestly thought it would be much lower. Ive canned my account a few months ago. Not bad considering its been active since 23rd Nov 2003. Thats a long time to play a game, any game in fact.

As Op said, Bring on Titan!

10. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:40 Frijoles

ledhead1969 wrote on May 8, 2013, 22:27:
I've never even heard of Skylanders.

Take a walk through an elementary school/playground. It's everywhere. I bought it for my 6 year old. I can see the appeal, and if I had more time, I'd play it when he's in bed. Although he's more interested in Minecraft. That makes me happy.

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:35 Cyanotetyphas

Its pretty funny that for a company as massive as Actiblizzard they only have two top ten PC titles and on top of that they're from Blizzard which releases along the cicada schedule so its pretty much a solar eclipse that they have any at all. EDIT(Actually its really hard to find this data but I was wrong. CoD and Pandas also crack the top10)

Also funny is that the assurance that another CoD is coming is at least as important as anything else for the stockholders.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2013, 22:42.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

8. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:27 ledhead1969

I've never even heard of Skylanders.  

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 22:26 Frags4Fun

I've been hearing about this Titan for like 5 years and I still haven't seen anything significant on that game. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever happen. It's like Duke Nukem.

I would like to know how many of those lost WOW accounts were multiboxers like myself who quit when Blizz killed multiboxing in random BGs and heroics.

This news of them losing subs warms my jaded heart.

6. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 21:48 Jivaro

My only point is that I seriously doubt that Acti-Blizz is going to wait to release Titan (whatever it turns out to be) until after WoW has dropped out of the mainstream consciousness. If the stats say WoW is in a decline, I am fairly certain the "real" Titan hype can only be so far away.  

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 21:23 Dev

8m (current) to 12m (peak) is 50%. Thats not insignificant.  

4. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 20:54 NewMaxx

Jivaro wrote on May 8, 2013, 20:42:
How long until Titan...

They'll schedule it to railroad TESO.

3. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 20:52 Fion

Considering early word on Titan was that it is a casual MMOG as Bliz didn't want to draw in folks new to the genre, I expect Titan is still several years away thanks to a major redesign to instead pick up WoWs slack.

I'm sure Titan will do well, no matter how good or bad it is (look at D3!) But I don't expect it to ever see numbers like WoW used to draw, simply because WoW was an anomaly.

2. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 20:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Jivaro wrote on May 8, 2013, 20:42:
How long until Titan...
Good question. As it is, they've gutted what was fun and challenging out of the game to the point where people are going "meh."

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

1. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 8, 2013, 20:42 Jivaro

How long until Titan...  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo