Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Battlefield Domain Spree

Electronic Arts has registered a bunch of new domains for the Battlefield series, reports Fusible, saying they have picked up everything from Battlefield13.com to Battlefield20.com, and now own all the relevant domains beginning at Battlefield2.com except Battlefield10-Battlefield12. The eight year span between the release of Battlefield 2 and the upcoming release of Battlefield 4 would place a Battlefield 20 release somewhere around the year 2077, but Joystiq sagely points out that this would nicely accommodate annual releases with a yearly numbering scheme, a la the Madden series. This would also explain their willingness to buy up those domains without owning the ones in the middle covering previous years.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 10, 2013, 07:50 ASeven

Redmask wrote on May 9, 2013, 22:08:
From what little I can discern from that mess, you're ignoring whats already been posted and repeating yourself again so I'm done with this.

This is why most of the users here have him on the ignore. He repeats himself, makes no sense, uses no facts, has been caught lying and deceiving and has no grasp of logic.

The only place that's good for him is the ignore list.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 22:08 Redmask

From what little I can discern from that mess, you're ignoring whats already been posted and repeating yourself again so I'm done with this.

There's nothing unreasonable about the request, if I posted everything in another language or as run on sentences without punctuation you wouldn't be bothered either. Sorry I'm tired of reading and trying to parse walls of same case text that you make no effort to be coherent or readable, send me a message when you have adjusted your behavior but until then you're filtered. I generally don't care about punctuation or typos because we're all human but let's be real here, if you couldn't hand it into a fifth grade teacher I'm not sure what makes you think it's suitable for adult discussion.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2013, 22:16.

40. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 20:58 Slick

you seem to be hell-bent on judging cost as value, when this has never been the debate. cost is cost.

if your extraneous circumstances include something like people getting paid more today than they were 10 years ago, therefore value fluxes with time can relate to both the amount people are paid today, vs the inflated cost of goods today. well then again this only makes my point.

if people are paid 10$ an hour in 2001, and 20$ an hour in 2011, then an item with the same VALUE should actually COST twice as much. however with regards to BF games, this is not the case, as the COST has not risen one penny since the beginning of the franchise.

you want to judge based on empirical evidence accrued over 10 years of data? or based on assumptions about what will happen in the future? because assumptions about the future isn't exactly a data point.

you want to threaten me by adding me to your block list? join the club. i don't block people because i always believe in communication being able to resolve any difference, but by all means, you wouldn't be the first.

my grammar isn't up to snuff? i don't capitalize? well i guess i'm just not worth your time. if you really can't read text without a capital letter that the beginning of the sentence, then i guess you should try harder, cause i'm pretty sure you understand every word i type. next time i'll get my secretary to do a better job.

lol. nice talkin to ya.

39. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 20:32 Redmask

Slick wrote on May 9, 2013, 20:23:
worth is different from cost. no one has ever stated that x game is worth more or less than game y.

Exactly the point that I've been repeating to you for a dozen posts now. The value of the currency at a given point in time has no bearing on the value of the game weighed against something else at a different point in time. It means nothing at all. If you go back far enough in time you'll find a penny worth thousands but it doesn't mean a product purchased for a penny has the same value or can be weighed against a modern one.

saying that EA will just "keep pushing costs to the end user higher as much as they can get away with" is disingenuous. what we have seen, based on their actions over a period of 10 years, doesn't not show this correlation, in fact it shows the opposite.

False, EA itself has said that they are going to focus on increasing digital revenues and specifically cited this franchise for its method of doing so. It has also publicly stated that it will try to iterate yearly now on these games. The cost of entry is going up no matter how much you try to deny it and that's from EA itself, you do not know better than the source of the games. The question of whether the games are comparable in value is a separate one.

the cost was $110, $110, and $110 over a period of 10 years. the content with game modes, maps, and guns has gone up. taking inflation into account the cost to me, the gamer, the person purchasing the software has gone down, while the amount of content has gone up

You can take inflation into account if you want but it is entirely meaningless as I've already demonstrated repeatedly despite your best attempts to ignore it. So don't expect anyone else to do so just because you want to.

On a final note I'm having a hard time reading your posts due to the poor grammar, purposeful lack of capitalization and spelling errors. If you aren't going to have the courtesy of putting some effort into your posts then I'm going to ignore them from now on using the websites user filter, your choice.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2013, 20:39.

38. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 20:23 Slick

Redmask:

worth is different from cost. no one has ever stated that x game is worth more or less than game y.

worth is entirely subjective, and outside the realm of facts, it is pure opinion.

what the debate is about is the *cost* which is different than your perceived *worth*. because the cost can't be argued against. worth can be debated ad-nausea-um with no right or wrong answer.

saying that EA will just "keep pushing costs to the end user higher as much as they can get away with" is disingenuous. what we have seen, based on their actions over a period of 10 years, doesn't not show this correlation, in fact it shows the opposite.

the cost was $110, $110, and $110 over a period of 10 years. the content with game modes, maps, and guns has gone up. taking inflation into account the cost to me, the gamer, the person purchasing the software has gone down, while the amount of content has gone up.

this is the issue. not weather you as a gamer feel that BF1942 had more "value" for you as a gamer. that isn't an argument based on facts, that's subjective opinion. i could list things which i think 1942 did better, and things which bf3 did better. when it comes to raw numbers however, there are no patterns of which you describe.

37. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 19:59 Slick

Blue wrote on May 9, 2013, 14:59:
Slick wrote on May 9, 2013, 14:20:
Blue, my "mastery of facts" involve a tiny amount of journalistic assertion, and fact-checking, rare these days i know. you run a website focused on journalism. I'd think that you would be pro journalism, and not insinuating that i'm trying to be a "mind-reader", for looking up facts instead of spouting opinion disguised as facts. come on dude.

I don't think you follow my point. You can disagree with someone without calling them a liar, much less repeatedly. The mind reader comment was simply to say that no one needs you parsing who is lying versus who is mistaken versus who is simply disagreeing with your opinion.

This has nothing to do with journalism, this has to do with courtesy. Read forum rule #1.

i believe this has everything to do with journalism. that is the core message of this thread which has been largely ignored. however you do make a good point that someone being mistaken versus someone spreading lies are two different things. This i fully take ownership of, and don't mean any disrespect.

I've been wrong before posting in these forums, and i took ownership of it. everybody makes mistakes. but one does not make a mistake over and over when presented with truth, and in-fact fight back against reason with false facts. this is ignorance, and spreading it is dangerous.

being presented with facts over and over, having people not only ignore them, but openly say that they're untrue, is disingenuous at best, and purposeful lying at worst. there's no way around that, that's the dictionary definition, weather it be "too real" or not for people to hear. this is not a casual mistake which everyone makes, it's purposefully trying to spread untruth.

being mistaken vs lying i fully understand. however you lose me when you further compare it to someone "disagreeing with my opinion".

the only opinion that i've stated in this thread is that facts should be researched and presented in a journalistic fashion. I've shown repeatedly that this is not at all "my opinion" but instead cold, hard, numbers. irrefutable facts are not opinion.

I could have an opinion that the sun revolves around the earth, and not vice-versa. however this would be false. weather as a free man i'm allowed to express that the sun revolves around the earth is a different matter. I would argue that this opinion is protected speech, but so is the factual evidence presented in opposition to prove that this is false.

opinions are fully protected speech, however they're not always factually correct. I could be of the opinion that the holocaust never happened, however i should be rightly be proven wrong by my peers. masquerading opinion as fact is the opposite of journalism, it's editorializing, and it's the worst kind when in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary, someone is still pushing the falsehood, and ridiculing the truth. this is dangerous behavior, and sets a bad precedent.

i am grateful that we live in a world which reasonable discourse can still exist, but this is not what happens when 1 man says 2+2=4, and everyone else says 2+2=5, and the 2+2=4 guy is ostracized for his "opinions".

anyone care to actually address the facts that i've presented? or continue to attack me personally?

36. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 17:07 nin

ASeven wrote on May 9, 2013, 17:06:
nin wrote on May 9, 2013, 15:54:
ASeven wrote on May 9, 2013, 15:46:
nin wrote on May 9, 2013, 08:49:
Fantaz wrote on May 9, 2013, 01:13:
Who is this Slick user who's been making most of his posts from his account in this comments thread here?

Someone who wants to be ignored...

Though he provides entertainment in watching how much deeper can he dig his own hole.

He and rollin should go start their own news site! I'm sure it'd be awesome...

Awesomely terrible! Then again, the schadenfreude that would come from it would be priceless.

That's pretty much what I was hinting at...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 17:06 ASeven

nin wrote on May 9, 2013, 15:54:
Who is this Slick user who's been making most of his posts from his account in this comments thread here?

Though he provides entertainment in watching how much deeper can he dig his own hole.

Awesomely terrible! Then again, the schadenfreude that would come from it would be priceless.

34. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 16:17 Redmask

What cost $110 in 2001 would cost $139.63 in 2011

That's the value of currency, not the value of the game itself. Blindly plugging numbers into a inflation calculator is not evidence of anything. Valuation is inherently subjective, I can get a copy of BF1942 for $1 but that doesn't mean it's worth a dollar now does it? You also ignored the publicized and planned iteration of the series on a yearly basis now as well. $110 USD every year isn't $110 USD every 4 years.

It's fine to say BF games are a good value and that the price is reasonable for what they provide. Giving a bunch of crap about the price related to inflation figures is crap though as I've demonstrated already.

33. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 15:54 nin

32. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 15:46 ASeven

31. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 14:59  Blue 

Slick wrote on May 9, 2013, 14:20:
Blue, my "mastery of facts" involve a tiny amount of journalistic assertion, and fact-checking, rare these days i know. you run a website focused on journalism. I'd think that you would be pro journalism, and not insinuating that i'm trying to be a "mind-reader", for looking up facts instead of spouting opinion disguised as facts. come on dude.

I don't think you follow my point. You can disagree with someone without calling them a liar, much less repeatedly. The mind reader comment was simply to say that no one needs you parsing who is lying versus who is mistaken versus who is simply disagreeing with your opinion.

This has nothing to do with journalism, this has to do with courtesy. Read forum rule #1.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

30. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 14:20 Slick

Blue wrote on May 9, 2013, 06:35:
You probably can't win, but you're obviously trying. Speaking of which, I'm going to ask you to stop calling anyone who disagrees with you a liar. Your mastery of facts does not cover mind-reading.

nice, now Blue is apart of my fanclub.

so when people say innacurate things based on opinion, leaving raw journalistic data out of the equation. should i say that they're...ummm.... bearing false witness? would that be more appropriate?

RedMask: "EA prices its products according to what it can get away with and they are essentially going to continue raising the price over time"

BF games getting more expensive each time = false, innacurate, not based in reality.

ASeven: "May I remind the disingenuous that past Battlefield expansion packs actually included a lot more than 4 maps and some silly achievements and a couple of weapons and vehicles"

previous xpacks giving more maps and guns than BF3 = false, innacurate, not based in reality.

as Dan Savage says, opinions are like assholes everyone's got one. But when you're discussing numbers, data, irrefutible facts. then there is no opinion. posing opinion as fact is disingenuous.

and i like how my self-depricating comments on how some users on here feel the need to tell everyone that i'm on their ignore list, ends up with "i'm obviously trying".

seriously Blue, i'm "trying" to have journalistic integrity, false information posed as truth is dangerous for random readers who don't know. and calling bearers of false witness on their opinions which are devoid of factual content should be applauded instead of condemned. This is pushing against the tide on here i know. As Trevellian correctly points out, i should take more time bashing EA and keeping all logic, numbers and facts to myself if i want to "make any friends".

Doesn't mean that this board gets to be a one-sided circle jerk of incorrect information. I've been very careful to not include any name-calling adjectives like "stupid" "dumb" "moron" etc. which other users don't share the same courtesy. But i will not let bearers of false witness dominate the conversation without someone defending the truth. NOTE* not my opinion. i'm talking about the truth, which is viewable for the public record, NOT MY OPINION, anyone is free to look this up.

FACT 1)

BF1942 + xpacks = $110 USD
BF2 + xpacks = $110 USD
BF3 + xpacks = $110 USD

FACT 2)

BF3 has more guns and maps in their xpacks than either BF2 or BF1942

FACT 3)

What cost $110 in 2001 would cost $139.63 in 2011.

29. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 08:49 nin

28. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 07:19 Redmask

Slick wrote on May 8, 2013, 23:40:
Redmask...

so i guess i misread this: "The price argument also ignores several important factors like the quality of the content provided for the money"?

that wouldn't fall into the category of your opinion would it?

and your argument that be cause more people buy BF games now somehow changes raw numbers is just silly.

First of all, your keyboard has a shift key, kindly make an attempt to use it. Second, I've patiently explained the problem with your argument twice, if its over your head then fair enough but I don't know how to make it any more readable for you. The price of a product at two different points in time means very little and is not conclusive evidence of anything. 'adjusted for inflation' means nothing and doesn't take into account too many other factors to be a reliable indicator in volume commodity markets. Saying '$110 usd in 2001 is worth more than $110 USD in 2010' again means nothing, that's talking about the currency, not the underlying product. It does not mean if 'adjusted for inflation' that people would get that value today or even pay the same amounts.

It's also difficult to compare the costs of various BF games with the iteration starting to increase on a yearly scale. The gap between titles continues to decrease while the price points remain static or are increasing.

If you want to say Dice provides good value for the money, I don't really care argue about it. Giving a bunch of garbage about prices and inflation though, that I will argue. The pointless accusations are wasted text, you're not going to hurt my feelings or something internet guy.

27. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 06:35  Blue 

Slick wrote on May 9, 2013, 01:30:

a long-time reader, short time poster. also, there's this thing about lies which just gets under my skin, and i feel compelled. what can i say?

*Also feel free to join the ever increasing ranks of the official BluesNews Slick Fanclub. with my 148 posts i've generated more hate on here than i think anyone else, i'm going for the high score.

You probably can't win, but you're obviously trying. Speaking of which, I'm going to ask you to stop calling anyone who disagrees with you a liar. Your mastery of facts does not cover mind-reading.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

26. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 01:30 Slick

a long-time reader, short time poster. also, there's this thing about lies which just gets under my skin, and i feel compelled. what can i say?

*Also feel free to join the ever increasing ranks of the official BluesNews Slick Fanclub. with my 148 posts i've generated more hate on here than i think anyone else, i'm going for the high score.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2013, 02:20.

25. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 01:13 Fantaz

24. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 9, 2013, 00:52 Slick

if there's one thing this thread (and certain blues posters in particular) has done to make my day a bit brighter, is that they've reminded me of a great book i read years ago:

Lies, and the Lying Liars who tell them - Al Franken

listen to just the introduction (audiobook) and try not to have a smile from ear to ear.

http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/14035083/file.html

sigh, i'm kind of sad that he's a senator now because he's not writing these epic def jam slams anymore.

23. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 8, 2013, 23:59 Slick

Trevellian wrote on May 8, 2013, 23:53:
I told you, your facts and math offend the average user. You need to spit more vile hatred towards EA if you want to be liked. You're doing it wrong man.

<3

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y[/url]

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo