Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Auction House Foul-up

The Diablo III Website has details on a screw-up in the Diablo III auction house following yesterday's new patch for Blizzard's action/RPG sequel. In spite of a month of playtesting of version 1.0.8, it included a bug that refunded double a player's gold if a player cancelled a gold auction, putting the auction house's natural tendency to continually inflate the game's economy into overdrive (a good trick in what is already the Weimar Republic of video games). They shut down auctions until closing off the exploit, and while there was a discussion of a rollback to undo the impact of this, but they say they have ultimately decided to focus on addressing individual accounts of the "relatively few players" who used it.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 9, 2013, 03:16 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 8, 2013, 14:41:
Wow I had no idea how much damage this had done so I did some digging online. Apparently tens of thousands of players were buying up god tier items with billion gold buyouts and giving them away. The economy could be totally obliterated by this, players who didn't participate effectively locked out. Its doubtful Blizzard will be able to reverse the damage even if they acted against the majority of the accounts responsible. Assuming they ban the accounts of the people responsible there's still the quadrillion gold in sold items that innocent sellers now possess which will inflate the economy.

They should have rolled back, I can't imagine why they wouldn't. It could be back to the stone ages for Diablo trading if Gold is rendered worthless again.

With an inflated economy in the billions or trillions for In game gold, that makes the RMAH all the more appealing to players! I suspect Blizzard would call that a "win!"

Not to mention they scored a nifty bundle off of the flood of cheap, desirable items sold.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 19:38 Beelzebud

Mr. Tact wrote on May 8, 2013, 18:54:
Oh and it's only appropriate for me to say again, that I would REALLY like to know how much money Blizzard has actually made off the RMAH. Something we are unlikely to ever learn...

Not only that but it won't stop them from also charging for expansions. With a RMAH any expansions should be free, because the game is paying for itself.

31. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 18:54 Mr. Tact

Oh and it's only appropriate for me to say again, that I would REALLY like to know how much money Blizzard has actually made off the RMAH. Something we are unlikely to ever learn...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 18:43 Krizzen

After Blizzard bastardized the franchise, this screw-up satisfies the everloving shit out of me. More bad Blizz press! Please!

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is just one week before Diablo 3's one year anniversary! The hilarity!

This comment was edited on May 8, 2013, 18:51.

29. removed May 8, 2013, 18:42 Icewind

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 9, 2013, 06:36.

28. Re: More Big Picture Details May 8, 2013, 18:20 Julio

HorrorScope wrote on May 8, 2013, 17:41:
Julio wrote on May 8, 2013, 17:06:
D2>D3>POE>TL2

Sadly nothing's better than Diablo 2.

Then you notice you are only comparing shallow top down ARPG's to one another.

Correct that I'm only talking about ARPGs, not that D2 is the best game ever.

27. Re: More Big Picture Details May 8, 2013, 17:41 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on May 8, 2013, 17:06:
D2>D3>POE>TL2

Then you notice you are only comparing shallow top down ARPG's to one another.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details May 8, 2013, 17:40 HorrorScope

Cram wrote on May 8, 2013, 15:00:
Without a rollback, the economy is broken. Forever.

Well unless you look at the Ps3 version as being the version that counts and the PC version just a beta for it.

25. Bug was an 32bit integer overflow May 8, 2013, 17:07 eRe4s3r

Coded by interns apparently... but then, it IS blizzard... 1 month of testing and they fuck up a 32bit integer overflow? Something you learn first day in coding school.  

24. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 17:06 Julio

D2>D3>POE>TL2

23. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 16:40 Axis

nin wrote on May 8, 2013, 09:30:
InBlack wrote on May 8, 2013, 09:22:
The controversy surrounding this game would be funny if it wasnt so damn sad. Man I had such high hopes for this game before its release....

Did you try Torchlight 2? I finally started playing it in the last month, and it's pretty much exactly what I hoped D3 would have been...

And then there's the Synergies mod!

Somebody didn't play D2...

Don't see how anyone could come to a conclusion that TL2 is even close to a worthy successor to D2...

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 16:00 Wallshadows

This is as close to walking in to a game in Diablo 2 to discover the whole floor in the Rogue Encampment was covered in Stone of Jordans.  

21. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:54 Verno

I wouldn't be shocked if quadrillions of gold were generated and distributed, thousands of people were doing it. Banning those people just punishes them and doesn't solve the underlying issue since they used the RMAH, the Gold AH and etc to buy items from unsuspecting people. They also redistributed plenty to be safe. This is rollback stuff, no question, the long term damage to the game is likely unfixable without an expansion pack or a currency change.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

20. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:51 Mr. Tact

Well, I found someone talking about it and I admit I really hadn't quite thought it all the way through -- didn't really understand what people were saying here.

In case someone else didn't "get it" the issue here is people apparently were generating literally trillions of gold. Then they bought everything in the gold AH, then turned around and put them up for "cheap" on the real money AH. Hence, if you legitimately logged in, unaware of the problem, you could wander into the RMAH and spend your money on items purchased out of the Gold AH with duped gold.

Quite the mess -- it will be interesting to see how it all unravels.

19. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:42 Cram

Mr. Tact wrote on May 8, 2013, 15:29:
A youtube comment of exactly what was going on when the exploit went live...
Is there a video of someone doing this? I'd enjoy watching that...

So this video is a dude commentating about another stream, afaik the first stream to discover and show the exploit. I would link the original stream, but the guy in the stream just screams "WHAT THE FUCK?!!!" a thousand times at the top of his lungs. There were, apparently, several thousand people watching the stream and within 30 minutes the entire economy was destroyed. There are other streams out there, or were, of people exploiting it and selling to each other to keep their gold safe before they the auction house went down and/or got banned. Absolute hilarious chaos.

18. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:39 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on May 8, 2013, 15:29:

I was watching this guy do it the other night before he got banned, you might have to dig through the archives to find it though. He did like billions upon billions in damage to the economy before being banned and that's just one dude. Like most streamers he listens to obnoxious music.

Edit: yeah he gated it sorry, I'll see if I can dig it out of my browser cache when I get home. If you google "twitch D3 gold exploit" I'm sure you'll find similar stuff though.

17. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:29 Mr. Tact

16. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:20 Wallshadows

A full rollback would also haul in the RMAH since players could dupe their gold, buy a great item, and turn around to sell it on the RMAH for a really low price to capitalize on this exploit while it's still hot. It would beg to question whether Blizzard would be in a position to refund those purchases or simply remove the item and quote some bullshit line in their EULA as to why they can't issue a refund. In any case, it would be a disaster.

Like I said in another post, if this was just directly affecting in-game gold and not actual dollars, they would probably just do an entire rollback if they're capable of saving such details like how many gold a player has on X date.

They shut down auctions until closing off the exploit

So for the first time it was actually a Diablo game.

15. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 15:00 Cram

A youtube comment of exactly what was going on when the exploit went live: "not sure if you know what they were doing but several of these exploiters knew they would get banned so they had all their friends post items for two billion or more and then bought them, so now all their friends have billions and blizzard cannot do anything because they cannot prove there are connections between the accounts. So the game economy is even more broken now"

14. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 8, 2013, 14:41 Verno

Wow I had no idea how much damage this had done so I did some digging online. Apparently tens of thousands of players were buying up god tier items with billion gold buyouts and giving them away. The economy could be totally obliterated by this, players who didn't participate effectively locked out. Its doubtful Blizzard will be able to reverse the damage even if they acted against the majority of the accounts responsible. Assuming they ban the accounts of the people responsible there's still the quadrillion gold in sold items that innocent sellers now possess which will inflate the economy.

They should have rolled back, I can't imagine why they wouldn't. It could be back to the stone ages for Diablo trading if Gold is rendered worthless again.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2013, 14:47.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo