Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UFO Online Open Beta

UFO Online is now in open beta testing, offering the chance to sample gamigo's tactical MMO browser game and help protect the Earth from extraterrestrials. Here's word on the game:

A mixture of flash technology and a Unity Engine ensures for crisp detail 3D graphics sets the scene well for both the soldiers as well as the Skum. Graphical improvements were also undertaken for effects, for example with the weapons. Performance was once again optimized, especially regarding the flash part of the game. Users can also look forward to an improved interface with expanded functions like drag and drop and keyboard shortcuts.

In the turn-based, tactical battles the people who win are those who find the right mix between tactics and research. In the long run it's all about achieving world domination with one of the three factions.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 9, 2013, 02:21 saluk

Krizzen wrote on May 8, 2013, 16:02:
Cyant wrote on May 8, 2013, 13:56:
"browser game" pass... NEXT!

Oh and Unity Engine provide crisp 3d grapics... Oh yeah? as in "crisp" like a 1996 game textures with bilinear filtering or "crisp" as in crates and other object seem to float over the backdrop?

It's not the engine's fault. Look at Rage, for example. Developers really give Unity a bad image. I mean, Unity isn't that great, but it's not as terrible as you describe.

Oh yeah, it does support anistropic filtering...

Unity is pretty dang good actually. But it suffers from being accessible. When tools are accessible, just about anyone can bang something out with them - and good art/games take actual talent. That's not something you're likely to find here...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 16:02 Krizzen

Oh and Unity Engine provide crisp 3d grapics... Oh yeah? as in "crisp" like a 1996 game textures with bilinear filtering or "crisp" as in crates and other object seem to float over the backdrop?

It's not the engine's fault. Look at Rage, for example. Developers really give Unity a bad image. I mean, Unity isn't that great, but it's not as terrible as you describe.

Oh yeah, it does support anistropic filtering...

6. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 15:23 jdreyer

Don't dismiss just b/c it's a "browser game." There are actual games that are played in the browser, like Bastion.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 13:56 Cyant

4. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 12:40 jdreyer

Looks like a poor man's XCOM, but that might not be a bad thing if they nailed the gameplay AND you can do it in your browser at work.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 12:27 Ozmodan

It is gamigo, you can bet the item shop will be necessary in a big way.  

2. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 12:04 RaZ0r!

Flash? Isn't that Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane's dog?  

1. Re: UFO Online Open Beta May 8, 2013, 09:23 InBlack

Hmmm color me interested. Anyone try this?  

I have a nifty blue line!

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo