Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced

Bethesda Softworks announces Wolfenstein: The New Order, revealing that a new installment in id Software's seminal shooter series was the subject of their teasing yesterday, saying the game is coming to PCs as well as next-generation and last-generation (I'm working on spreading a new buzzphrase) consoles by the end of this year. They call the new game a "reimagining of this franchise," an "action-adventure" shooter in development at MachineGames, the Swedish developer formed by StarBreeze veterans that Bethesda acquired in 2010, so a tip of the hat goes to Polygon for getting the details right about this in a rumor they reported a couple of months ago. "We are excited to bring a new chapter of Wolfenstein to gamers everywhere," said Jens Matthies, creative director at MachineGames. "As fans of the series, working on this game is an honor, and our team is driven to create an unforgettable action-adventure experience that will make FPS fans proud." Their announcement actually holds back the details to kiss a little GameSpot butt, as GameSpot has an announcement trailer and say they will be posting details all this week. Here's what they have on the game's setting:

The New Order is set in 1960 after the Nazis won World War II. Gamers play as the familiar American war hero B.J. Blazkowicz and are tasked with launching an "impossible counter-offensive" against the Nazi powers that have taken over the world.

Set in Europe, The New Order will have players infiltrating Nazi strongholds and battling legions of enemies, while taking control of "super weapons" that the Nazis have used to dominate earth--"and beyond," Bethesda teased.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 21, 2013, 14:41 MindStalker3

mag wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:38:
Creston wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:36:
Soulburner wrote on May 7, 2013, 10:35:
Also, didn't Carmack or some other id guy say some time ago that they will not outsource any of their IPs and work on their titles in-house only from now on?

I think John has found that that is no longer his decision to make.

Creston

I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it further.

Realistically id has been making their money from licensing for a long long time, their self made games have always been subpar. Not licensing would have been suicide.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 8, 2013, 03:21 GL1zdA

Also, didn't Carmack or some other id guy say some time ago that they will not outsource any of their IPs and work on their titles in-house only from now on?

It was Hollenshead, and he didn't say it will be id exclusive, but it has to be published by Bethesda: id: No Tech 5 Licensing.

43. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 23:19 Fletch

Hmmm... when developers "reimagine" FPS's, it usually means "consolized". Can't be worse than the last one, I guess.  

42. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 23:15 Jerykk

Wolfenstein has always been an interesting mix of history, sci-fi and occult fantasy. I'm hoping they haven't done away with the occult part in this one.

On a side note, Warren Spector tweeted his outrage over the game, calling it juvenile and immature and whatnot. If this were 2000, his words would mean something. After DX:IW and two Epic Mickeys, his cred is pretty much gone.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2013, 23:21.

41. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 19:41 RaZ0r!

Let me save them a lot of trouble: I'm not buying this game ever even for 5 bucks on Steam.  

40. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 17:23 Creston

mag wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:38:

Creston

But if Carmack is Lando, who is Lobot?

Creston

39. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 16:50 PHJF

"previously next-generation consoles"?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

38. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 16:42 MajorD

Krovven wrote on May 7, 2013, 15:50:
MajorD wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:22:
Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:32:
A new Wolfensteen, eh? Meh. Bring on Fallout 4 already, yo!

X2.

Sorry to say, but I am skeptical on any id release these days.

It's not an id software game.

Okay...

37. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 15:55 Krovven

Capitan wrote on May 7, 2013, 15:31:
This time, I really hope they try to copy MP from RtCW or ET. MP in Wolfenstein was a joke... Angry

I want a quick simple MP. Not a lot of weapons, weapon upgrades, micro transactions, etc etc. It shall be simple old school and nothing more!

/Capi

They won't be having standard Deathmatch. It will be car racing.

36. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 15:50 Krovven

MajorD wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:22:

X2.

It's not an id software game.

35. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 15:37 wtf_man

Not really sold on this... but we'll see, as more info comes out. The 2008 Wolfenstein was ok, and I am probably one of the few that really enjoyed RTCW's single player campaign (undead and all). In fact, I just replayed it a few weeks ago since there was a proper widescreen patch.

Anyway... we'll see what shakes loose as this gets closer to release.

34. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 15:31 Capitan

This time, I really hope they try to copy MP from RtCW or ET. MP in Wolfenstein was a joke... Angry

I want a quick simple MP. Not a lot of weapons, weapon upgrades, micro transactions, etc etc. It shall be simple old school and nothing more!

/Capi

33. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 15:14 netnerd85

Darks wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:48:
netnerd85 wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:58:
Wow, ripping off Mortyr 2093-1944 much. Not getting my money Bethesda.

You are one lost puppy, no one has even seen the game yet or any screenshots or video and you have already come to the conclusion the game will be bad. This is the BS I fall back on when many of you start with the bashing of a game.

Ill tell you what, why don't you sell your pc and just pack it in and give gaming up completely if that is how you approach your decisions about games in general because that is abut the lamest approach I have ever seen when making a decision about a game that no ones even seen yet.
Psst, there is a trailer above explaining the basis of the game. New direction. Alternate future clearly by what was shown. Of course I'm presuming but Wolfenstein has been subpar since 1992.

Btw, I don't like Big Beth or anything about them... so... yeah

32. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 15:09 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on May 7, 2013, 12:34:
An FPS set in the '60s, eh? Too late to ask for another NOLF?

A man can dream can't he?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 14:39 Shataan

I have very fond memories of Wolfenstein. And I am willing to give it a go if the preview vids look interesting enough. Now if GearBox was doing this? No freaking way.  

30. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 14:38 mag

Creston

29. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 14:22 MajorD

X2.

28. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 14:08 Cram

I'm one happy little honey bear right now.  

27. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 14:00 Verno

Darks wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:48:

You are one lost puppy, no one has even seen the game yet or any screenshots or video and you have already come to the conclusion the game will be bad. This is the BS I fall back on when many of you start with the bashing of a game.

He thinks the game will be a rip off of some other game, presumably due to its premise or whatever, he didn't say anything about the game being good or bad. Ironically, telling him to sell his gaming PC is about as much of an overreaction as his initial post, just weird spaz stuff.

If the game did rip off Mortyr I'd be looking elsewhere for that reason (those games blew) but hey that's just me

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

26. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 13:48 Darks

netnerd85 wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:58:
Wow, ripping off Mortyr 2093-1944 much. Not getting my money Bethesda.

Ill tell you what, why don't you sell your pc and just pack it in and give gaming up completely if that is how you approach your decisions about games in general because that is abut the lamest approach I have ever seen when making a decision about a game that no ones even seen yet.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo