Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Metaverse May 8, 2013, 10:35 eRe4s3r

wtf_man wrote on May 7, 2013, 20:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:57:
Have you guys even looked at GIMP? That is a complete train wreck of usability nightmares, the fact that it doesn't have a FULL SCREEN CONTAINED GUI is the death sentence before any other consideration.

Uh... GIMP has had a single-window UI mode since 2010 (beta), and fully released in May of 2012 (non-beta 2.8)
GIMP Single Window Mode (2.7)

Youtube Video of GIMP 2.8

Not that it matters... it's still a clusterfuck compared to Photoshop.

That said... I may have to switch, because I refuse to rent software.

Heh I never tried 2.8 so had no idea they FINALLY put that in stable...

But sidenote: The standard themes GIMP ships with are a complete disaster... and is there no way to get a 100% Photoshop UI ?

( Not touching "Gimpshop" which is Infested with scamware and crap)

This comment was edited on May 8, 2013, 10:44.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Metaverse May 8, 2013, 09:24 Beamer

Tom wrote on May 7, 2013, 20:06:
Beamer wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:55:
Yeah. There are typically 2 users of Adobe products:
1) Corporate/business users, who make a lot of money off of Adobe and pay for Adobe
2) Home/hobby users, who do not pay for Adobe

Adobe doesn't care about #2, for good reason.

Ummm....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop_Elements
"Targeted at hobbyists and consumers, it is sold at a fraction (roughly 1/6) of the cost of its professional sibling, Adobe Photoshop CS."

Holy shit, Tom. Did you not read the entire post?

Verno wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:05:
I don't know, its probably better for small businesses and students in the long run so I can sorta get behind this. The number of pirated copies of CS in a college setting would shock most people, the high cost was always a barrier of entry even with student/academic licensing models sometimes.

1) Corporate/business users, who make a lot of money off of Adobe and pay for Adobe

Adobe doesn't care about #2, for good reason. If you're a hobbyist you're likely using a pirated version. If you pay, it's actually cheaper this way, assuming you like the newest versions. PhotoShop is $20 per month.

And, for the hobbyist, PhotoShop Elements is still a stand alone.

I'd guess the vast majority of people bitching, not everyone in this thread but overall, has pirated most of the Adobe CS products they've used.

Please read the entire post.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Morning Metaverse May 8, 2013, 07:16 Armengar

We licenced CS4-Cs6 for £9k for a site licence (tier 1). It will now cost us 13k with the cloud model. It has been such a shake up that the curriculum is being changed to drop flash (was on the cards anyway) and look at alternatives ranging from GIMP, serif even corel(!) we have 6 months remaining till renewal.

So that is one customer adobe has lost, along with all the students who wont need it either (private institution, piracy isnt likely to be an issue)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 20:12 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:57:
Have you guys even looked at GIMP? That is a complete train wreck of usability nightmares, the fact that it doesn't have a FULL SCREEN CONTAINED GUI is the death sentence before any other consideration.

Uh... GIMP has had a single-window UI mode since 2010 (beta), and fully released in May of 2012 (non-beta 2.8)
GIMP Single Window Mode (2.7)

Youtube Video of GIMP 2.8

Not that it matters... it's still a clusterfuck compared to Photoshop.

That said... I may have to switch, because I refuse to rent software.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2013, 20:22.

22. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 20:06 Tom

Adobe doesn't care about #2, for good reason.

Ummm....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop_Elements
"Targeted at hobbyists and consumers, it is sold at a fraction (roughly 1/6) of the cost of its professional sibling, Adobe Photoshop CS."

I've always despised Photoshop anyway. I can do 95% of what I need to do with Paint.NET without having to endure Adobe's non-standard and irritating UI choices, not to mention the bloat and business practices. The other 5% is covered by IrfanView, Inkscape, and ImageMagick which are progressively less friendly but are capable enough. All free software.

21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 18:18 deqer

Julio wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:46:
I'd prefer an hourly charge for how much you use it, if they really want to push a subscription model.
Nope, won't happen. I agree, but it won't happen. Companies have learned that that is not how they make their money; that's how they lose money. They learned that they make tons of money by having you constantly pay a flat rate monthly fee.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 16:46 Julio

I'd prefer an hourly charge for how much you use it, if they really want to push a subscription model.  

19. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 16:37 eRe4s3r

TurdFergasun wrote on May 7, 2013, 15:55:
jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:54:
Beamer wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:49:

Yeah, the guy that upgrades PhotoShop rarely for something like that, but $19.99 per month isn't terrible if you use it for business, and since we admit most of those people rarely upgrade, what is stopping them from continuing to use their old version?

Also, I agree with the "GIMP sucks" thought stream. I wanted PhotoShop just for simple cutting and pasting at work. Not enough to buy PhotoShop, but enough that I needed something better than posting screenshots into PowerPoint and cropping them. I tried GIMP.
Man, GIMP is so painful to use.

Thankfully we eventually moved to Windows 7 and I could just use the genius Snip tool. Why did that take so long to come!?

Gimp is painful, but Snip is too limited. For basic image manipulation, I recommend Picasa. It's free, it's easy to use, and it does most of the basics pretty well: cropping, contrast, auto "fixing" washed out or under saturated photos, red eye, etc. It also has a bunch of fun filters like sepia, B & W, etc. It's got facial recog so you can auto tag your photos. Check it out. I've been using it for years.

I used to use Capture One on OSX along with Picasa, much faster and more streamlined for actual photo editing. Did i mention much faster? photoshop bridge is a massive mess of a program try working large format RAW or TIFF files with it.

The thing is, Bridge interlinks extremely well with photoshop and other applications. To a point where ALL my work is based on dragging files to the applications I want, instead of using any save dialogs or load dialogs. You can "batch" images together with labels and instantly select them. That is one feature I can't miss and is why I am stuck with Bridge... on the other hand it is a really nice tool if you have a LOT of images... I think i have over 10000 texture source images and simply need SOLID label and "CONSTANT" preview functions. (Bridge creates thumbnails for every image, which is why first loading a directory can take ages.. but once that is done you can INSTANTLY browse huge libraries.

That said, I would never pay subscription for Photoshop, not even for Bridge. But nobody is forcing me to upgrade.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 15:55 TurdFergasun

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:54:

Yeah, the guy that upgrades PhotoShop rarely for something like that, but $19.99 per month isn't terrible if you use it for business, and since we admit most of those people rarely upgrade, what is stopping them from continuing to use their old version?

Also, I agree with the "GIMP sucks" thought stream. I wanted PhotoShop just for simple cutting and pasting at work. Not enough to buy PhotoShop, but enough that I needed something better than posting screenshots into PowerPoint and cropping them. I tried GIMP.

Thankfully we eventually moved to Windows 7 and I could just use the genius Snip tool. Why did that take so long to come!?

Gimp is painful, but Snip is too limited. For basic image manipulation, I recommend Picasa. It's free, it's easy to use, and it does most of the basics pretty well: cropping, contrast, auto "fixing" washed out or under saturated photos, red eye, etc. It also has a bunch of fun filters like sepia, B & W, etc. It's got facial recog so you can auto tag your photos. Check it out. I've been using it for years.

I used to use Capture One on OSX along with Picasa, much faster and more streamlined for actual photo editing. Did i mention much faster? photoshop bridge is a massive mess of a program try working large format RAW or TIFF files with it.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 15:49 deqer

"Hey guys, we have the best industry standard graphics software; because of this fact, we are going to own you and milk you every month for it; because we CAN; because you cannot live without Photoshop; so, deal with it."

16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 14:54 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 14:35 Mashiki Amiketo

InBlack wrote on May 7, 2013, 10:31:
Well this is a major bummer. I just hope enough of their customer base are outraged enough to vote with their wallet.
Shouldn't be a problem with that, there's enough openware tools and other products to use that no one will miss it. Hell most people who were using it, have long switched to GIMP.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

14. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 14:19 Beamer

Prez wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:05:
Despite the aforementioned rampant piracy I see this as a bad move myself. I personally would never subscribe to a setup like this in a million years. And for the record I have only ever used legally obtained Adobe products.

Which products are you using? Have you actually paid the multiple hundreds for a new version, or are you using the cheaper home versions (which are still available in a box at the same price as before?)

-------------

13. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 14:05 Prez

Despite the aforementioned rampant piracy I see this as a bad move myself. I personally would never subscribe to a setup like this in a million years. And for the record I have only ever used legally obtained Adobe products.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 13:49 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:34:
I don't know, its probably better for small businesses and students in the long run so I can sorta get behind this. The number of pirated copies of CS in a college setting would shock most people, the high cost was always a barrier of entry even with student/academic licensing models sometimes.

Adobe doesn't care about #2, for good reason. If you're a hobbyist you're likely using a pirated version. If you pay, it's actually cheaper this way, assuming you like the newest versions. PhotoShop is $20 per month.

I'd guess the vast majority of people bitching, not everyone in this thread but overall, has pirated most of the Adobe CS products they've used.

I think the people who will be hurt the most will be freelancers/artists/small businesses. These are people who buy and pay for Photoshop to do stuff like publish online comics, touch up wedding photos, do web design, etc. and can afford to buy the software only every other or every third generation.

-------------

11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 13:34 jdreyer

I think the people who will be hurt the most will be freelancers/artists/small businesses. These are people who buy and pay for Photoshop to do stuff like publish online comics, touch up wedding photos, do web design, etc. and can afford to buy the software only every other or every third generation.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

10. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 13:30 sauron

I use Photoshop and Acrobat Pro at work every day for hours at a time, and Illustrator almost every week. I refuse to pay a subscription - this is a great opportunity for Adobe's major competitors. Impress me and I'll switch, and all my colleagues will as well.

This is just a corporation that feels they have a monopoly and so they should leverage it to the hilt. Bad mistake.

Kittens!

9. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 11:57 eRe4s3r

Someone mentioned free alternatives...

To Lightroom and Bridge, maybe. To After Effects (Could be tricky..)

But to Photoshop ? Have you guys even looked at GIMP? That is a complete train wreck of usability nightmares, the fact that it doesn't have a FULL SCREEN CONTAINED GUI is the death sentence before any other consideration.

I had to use GIMP for some game projects and I nearly jumped off a cliff. That is how much it drove me nuts (especially how it handles 32bit PNG and Alpha vs Transparency) oh my, fucking, god.

If you have no idea what I talk about there, be thankful. Be very very thankful. Personally I am going to CS6 and then never upgrade again. 90% of Photoshop work is plugins that you can't "cloud" anything. And you need it localized anyway because game development IS NOT RUNNING ON A FUCKING CLOUD.

Though I guess if it's just subscription it is not as bad as cloud. But yeah, I wish adobe good luck with that. If there was another alternative to Photoshop, one that is NOT named GIMP I'd long since use it.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2013, 12:04.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 11:55 Beamer

-------------

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2013, 11:30 Marvin T. Martian

Bye Bye Adobe.  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer