Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Our experiment with a new ad provider does not seem to have worked out, those notices about weird mobile redirects was followed by some other warnings about dodgy sites, so their ad code has been replaced with code known to be reliable, if not particularly productive. My apologies for the situation, which went on longer than it should have, as it seemed like it was being worked out all along the way. This should be sorted now, so please let me know immediately if it isn't.

Sorted Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Feed Me Moar.
Links: The Onionís Tips On How To Prevent Your Major Media Site From Being Hacked.
Stories: Bill Clinton tried to broker Led Zeppelin reunion.
Newly Declassified Memo Shows CIA Shaped Zero Dark Thirty's Narrative.
Science: Scientists' hope for HIV cure. Thanks Cutter.
Media: SNL - Game of Thrones Trivia - Zach Galifianakis.
Watch a Sand Storm From the Top of the Tallest Building in the World. Thanks brother19.
Top 20 Window Jumps. NSFW.
Follow-Up: Meet the thousands of people ready to die on Mars.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:20 eRe4s3r

But there are soooooo many pretty trees.. impossible to keep focused.. especially since the main story isn't all that enticing...

Also.. Kittens!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:09 sauron

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 15:13:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:49:
Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 12:18:
And a cure for HIV months away?! Wow! That really is effing remarkable.

Uh, go back and re-read that. Results from a test are months away. If it works, the cure is years away. Says so right in the article.

Still, it's impressive as hell. A very possible cure inside of 5 years? Wow. And meanwhile the Cancer industry does almost nothing except collect money over the last 60+ years.

No offense but that's not true AT ALL. A colleague of mine just lost his wife to cancer after a 13 year battle. Without the drug she was taking (Avastin), she would have been dead inside 2 years. It bought her more than a decade of quality time. She was in her 70s by the time she died.

HIV is very complicated but the number of tools it has to survive are finite. Cancer is much more difficult - hundreds of genes can contribute to the loss of cell cycle control that triggers neoplasia. Hundreds more can be coopted by cancer cells to promote their own invasion and survival.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 15:34 nin

And meanwhile the Cancer industry does almost nothing except collect money over the last 60+ years.

Respectfully, I doubt it's that simple...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 15:13 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:49:

Uh, go back and re-read that. Results from a test are months away. If it works, the cure is years away. Says so right in the article.

Still, it's impressive as hell. A very possible cure inside of 5 years? Wow. And meanwhile the Cancer industry does almost nothing except collect money over the last 60+ years.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 14:15 sauron

Verno wrote on May 7, 2013, 13:50:
Ratty wrote on May 7, 2013, 12:49:
Oh you kids and your fancy graphics, vocalized dialog and regenerating health. Fact: Daggerfall >>> Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion > Arena.

If the criteria is rat killing, falling through the world map and other fun bugs, sure Daggerfall wins

^ Haha, this!

I also saw Plant/Page at Glastonbury in like 1991 but was a bit disappointed. It was the middle of the day and they had an african choir on stage with them. I happen to like african choirs, but not when I'm expecting Zoso to tear the everliving **** out of rock and roll live on stage with his badass guitar. Plus I was a bit high. I suspect Plant/Page and the whole choir probably were as well. Glastonbury's a bit like that.

Kittens!

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 13:50 Verno

Ratty wrote on May 7, 2013, 12:49:
Oh you kids and your fancy graphics, vocalized dialog and regenerating health. Fact: Daggerfall >>> Skyrim > Morrowind > Oblivion > Arena.

If the criteria is rat killing, falling through the world map and other fun bugs, sure Daggerfall wins

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 13:49 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 13:46 jdreyer

Saw Plant/Page back in '99. Great show. I was really expecting Plant (the spiritual vegan) to rock and Page (the addict) to suck, but it was the opposite. Plant could barely sing, but Page tore the shit out of his Les Paul. It was seriously good. I think Bonham's son was on drums.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 13:36 sauron

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2013, 12:08:
1badmf wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:51:
i tried playing daggerfall. ten years later i tried playing oblivion, but i just don't get it. i don't get how you guys can play on through the lack of any narrative impetus. in both games i just kept fooling around until i got bored and hardly touched the main quest because there was no reason to. my friends who have played it tell me skyrim is the same - they just kept going until they got bored and then dropped it like an enfattenating girlfriend. which is a damn shame because all the elder scrolls games are the pinnacle of world design and rpg-ness.

Pretty much why I always cringe whenever someone calls Skyrim an RPG. It is more an adventure exploration game. It certainly never manages to tell any kind of proper story. Or make you feel something. Most of the time I was just fooling around doing quests to see what they were but not because I cared. And I never cared for a single character in Skyrim. I did in Oblivion though, there was this Argonian Shop Keeper with her Daughter in Chorrol and that is by the heavens the only character I remember of an Elder Scrolls game.

.... I liked Gothic 3 better in some regards....

The games do tell epic stories but you have to stay focused. Even if you choose to do all the Thieves' Guild quests (for example) you have to bear in mind there's a huge overarching narrative that you eventually need to go back to.

Basically, you have to see the forest as a whole, not just all the pretty trees in it.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 12:49 Ratty

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 12:18 Cutter

My dad saw Zep once but he was too high to remember it. They were pretty much my fave band growing up. Best rock singer of all time is Plant IMO. I'd give a lot to be able to sing like that.

And the CIA shaped the film? Uh no shit. They actively use media to (dis)inform all the time. Operation Mockingbird anyone?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 12:08 eRe4s3r

1badmf wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:51:
i tried playing daggerfall. ten years later i tried playing oblivion, but i just don't get it. i don't get how you guys can play on through the lack of any narrative impetus. in both games i just kept fooling around until i got bored and hardly touched the main quest because there was no reason to. my friends who have played it tell me skyrim is the same - they just kept going until they got bored and then dropped it like an enfattenating girlfriend. which is a damn shame because all the elder scrolls games are the pinnacle of world design and rpg-ness.

Pretty much why I always cringe whenever someone calls Skyrim an RPG. It is more an adventure exploration game. It certainly never manages to tell any kind of proper story. Or make you feel something. Most of the time I was just fooling around doing quests to see what they were but not because I cared. And I never cared for a single character in Skyrim. I did in Oblivion though, there was this Argonian Shop Keeper with her Daughter in Chorrol and that is by the heavens the only character I remember of an Elder Scrolls game.

.... I liked Gothic 3 better in some regards....

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 11:51 1badmf

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 11:15 sauron

InBlack wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:02:
Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Arena. At least IMO, Skyrim is great and everything but Morrowind is still the pinnacle of the series. Both in terms of gameplay RPG complexity and writing/storyline. I hope their next single player Elder Scrolls bring back some much needed complexity gameplay wise. I think that the market has shown that they are mature enough to want it.

I played the heck out of Morrowind, well over 100 hours, but for some reason could never quite get into Oblivion, partly because it runs like a pig on every system I've ever tried it on. Actually Morrowind did as well but it was so good I put up with it.

As noted below I'm just beginning Skyrim but am already hooked and it runs really smooth - the code seems well-optimized. I think I'll be playing this one for a while.

I'd put the scale as Morrowind=Skyrim (pending) > Oblivion > Redguard (I have that as well) > Daggerfall. Never played Arena.

Not including Fallout series - I have them both (Steam sale!) but haven't played either enough to make a judgement.

Kittens!

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 11:02 InBlack

Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion > Daggerfall > Arena. At least IMO, Skyrim is great and everything but Morrowind is still the pinnacle of the series. Both in terms of gameplay RPG complexity and writing/storyline. I hope their next single player Elder Scrolls bring back some much needed complexity gameplay wise. I think that the market has shown that they are mature enough to want it.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 10:53 nin

I only got as far as Skyrim - boy is it ever good.

Skyrim was the first ES game that really hooked me. Ton of gameplay there.

I'd have to look at my mods at home before recommending anything...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 10:43 InBlack

Bill Clinton is my fucking hero.  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Sandstorm May 7, 2013, 10:42 Ratty

I've never been afraid of heights, but yeah, I'd drop a watery load if I was that guy.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 10:31 sauron

I got some recommendations from the regulars here yesterday for a new RPG since I pretty much finished GW2. I was going to try both Skyrim and GW1 which have been sitting on my HD for months. I only got as far as Skyrim - boy is it ever good.

Any advice for mods very welcome - I already installed the improved UI since the original is awful. The game otherwise is fantastic and runs beautifully on my machine - much less of a system hog than Oblivion. It's like playing a movie.

Also, the members of Led Zep in that photo have really aged in the last 5 years - somebody found their Dorian Grey portraits/pacts with you know who?

Kittens!

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo