Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Our experiment with a new ad provider does not seem to have worked out, those notices about weird mobile redirects was followed by some other warnings about dodgy sites, so their ad code has been replaced with code known to be reliable, if not particularly productive. My apologies for the situation, which went on longer than it should have, as it seemed like it was being worked out all along the way. This should be sorted now, so please let me know immediately if it isn't.

Sorted Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Feed Me Moar.
Links: The Onionís Tips On How To Prevent Your Major Media Site From Being Hacked.
Stories: Bill Clinton tried to broker Led Zeppelin reunion.
Newly Declassified Memo Shows CIA Shaped Zero Dark Thirty's Narrative.
Science: Scientists' hope for HIV cure. Thanks Cutter.
Media: SNL - Game of Thrones Trivia - Zach Galifianakis.
Watch a Sand Storm From the Top of the Tallest Building in the World. Thanks brother19.
Top 20 Window Jumps. NSFW.
Follow-Up: Meet the thousands of people ready to die on Mars.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2013, 03:59 Sepharo

Creston wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:33:
Sepharo wrote on May 7, 2013, 22:38:
Creston wrote on May 7, 2013, 18:31:
... The Jarl of Whiterun ...

I can't even read this name without laughing now because of watching this hundreds of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREwEpjGN_0

You watched this hundreds of times? Oooo...kay. *backs away slowly*

Creston

My friends and I use it as a Rickroll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2013, 12:49 Verno

I can't even read this name without laughing now because of watching this hundreds of times.

Hahaha that was awesome.

I see your Jarl Ballin Weirdness and raise you an Creepy Acapella Chrono Trigger.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2013, 10:25 sauron

Acleacius wrote on May 7, 2013, 18:25:
sauron wrote on May 7, 2013, 10:31:
...Any advice for mods very welcome - I already installed the improved UI since the original is awful. The game otherwise is fantastic and runs beautifully on my machine - much less of a system hog than Oblivion. It's like playing a movie....
Top 100 on the most popular download site. You have to be logged in to see it, since it contains Adult Content (i.e. nude mods).
Top 100 most endorsed files

Thanks!

Kittens!

36. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2013, 00:33 Creston

You watched this hundreds of times? Oooo...kay. *backs away slowly*

Creston

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2013, 00:30 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2013, 19:29:
But I dunno, for the "end of the world is upon us" the world looked pretty damn ignorant of anything.

It's the problem you run into when you want to have an epic storyline, while at the same time allowing the player to say "fuck your storyline" and go off and do his own thing. There's never any sense of urgency in anything if you can postpone all missions indefinitely. In one of my playthroughs, the Greybeards (whoever came up with that name should be fired, seriously,) are STILL waiting on my character to show up, and she's the Thieves Guild Master AND the Arch-Mage, AND has wiped the Vampire Lord off the map, AND took care of that little upstart Dragonborn that island. It's been at least a year since they "summoned" me.

But yeah, writing great quests really isn't Bethesda's forte (although they had really cool storylines for both the Thieves Guild and Assassins in Oblivion, and even a good storyline for the Mages Guild), but their worlds are just so much fun to play in!

Btw, if you want your dragons to be MUCH tougher, try this mod

Rather than just go the bog-standard "Dragon HPx20, Dragon Damage x20", it now gives Dragons lots of new powers to use and some smarter AI to make use of them. You get some cool fights, though I REALLLLLLLY fucking hate the dragon who keeps using the Disarm shout...

Creston

34. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 22:38 Sepharo

33. Ads? May 7, 2013, 22:10 Ant

We should donate to Blue!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 19:29 eRe4s3r

For me they never got there.. I assume it was kittens, that.. or a dragon.

But I dunno, for the "end of the world is upon us" the world looked pretty damn ignorant of anything. At least in Gothic 3 the world really was pretty damn apocalyptic and consistent with it's theme "Humans lost the war against Orks, deal with it".

I guess what bothered me the most about Skyrim was how completely stagnant the entire world was. Houses couldn't get destroyed, bridges not destroyed. Dragons couldn't melt stone... imo they just copped out before even starting to make the world believable.

These things are fuckin dragons, higher beings unleashed by the uber dragon himself.. and I get a quest to pick up some items from a store? Skyrim even more than Oblivion completely fucked it's main story up. The end of the world was upon us, except apart from the player nobody noticed!

Wee, what a believable and coherent world that was

I always hoped while playing that when the "final" rebel vs imperial battle happens, Alduin appears and just.. you know, wipes the entire city and both armies out. I can't believe they literally managed to make a story about dragons even MORE generic than i thought possible before...

Though I liked Skyrim, but it's world and story were not why...

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 18:38 nin

Hoop wrote on May 7, 2013, 18:34:
nin wrote on May 7, 2013, 18:20:
Hoop wrote on May 7, 2013, 17:38:
Just booked tickets to Star trek ITD 3d for Saturday. woooooooo

Still got a week and a few days to go in the states - lookin forward to it!

Lens Flare me Bro!

I'll see your flare and up you a dubstep movie trailer warble!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 18:34 Hoop

nin wrote on May 7, 2013, 18:20:

Lens Flare me Bro!

Um .. Behind you...

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 18:31 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2013, 17:34:
The entire world didn't even REACT to the dragons. Normal people would probably build some "Dragon Proof" defenses.....

Hey, that's simply not true. The Jarl of Whiterun orders defenses to be sent to Riverwood, and three guards are stationed in Riverwood after that! You can even watch them walk there.

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 18:25 Acleacius

sauron wrote on May 7, 2013, 10:31:
...Any advice for mods very welcome - I already installed the improved UI since the original is awful. The game otherwise is fantastic and runs beautifully on my machine - much less of a system hog than Oblivion. It's like playing a movie....
Top 100 on the most popular download site. You have to be logged in to see it, since it contains Adult Content (i.e. nude mods).
Top 100 most endorsed files

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 18:20 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 17:38 Hoop

Um .. Behind you...

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 17:34 eRe4s3r

PHJF wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:56:
Pretty much why I always cringe whenever someone calls Skyrim an RPG. It is more an adventure exploration game. It certainly never manages to tell any kind of proper story

Skyrim does have a storyline, and it isn't hard to follow. There is an actual enemy, unlike Oblivion where the "boss" is a fucking immortal daedric god.

Yeah but did you at any point of the game ever felt like there is an actual urgency or point to your actions? I always just felt like it was a sandbox, optional story, nothing happening if you ignored it, stagnant world with nothing happening apart from the dragons at specific locations.

The entire world didn't even REACT to the dragons. Normal people would probably build some "Dragon Proof" defenses.....

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:56 PHJF

Pretty much why I always cringe whenever someone calls Skyrim an RPG. It is more an adventure exploration game. It certainly never manages to tell any kind of proper story

Skyrim does have a storyline, and it isn't hard to follow. There is an actual enemy, unlike Oblivion where the "boss" is a fucking immortal daedric god.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:51 eRe4s3r

Blue wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:40:
Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:36:
Cancer Research and the $90 Billion Metaphor

The War on Cancer A Progress Report for Skeptics

The Cancer Industry

And it was only a year or so back that Harvard came out and said cancer is all but incurable with current technology and we likely wouldn't see any real in-roads for at least another century.

I, for one, am at a loss as to your point here.

Essentially, all that research money is spend on fixing a problem that can't be fixed, but that could be 99.99% prevented if research would focus on that. But there is no profit in preventing a deadly disease that makes a medical company $500k profit per patient (by selling drugs that prolong, instead of "cure"). Prolonging medical dependency without curing the illness is the wet dream of any drug manufacturer.

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:48 sauron

eRe4s3r wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:20:
But there are soooooo many pretty trees.. impossible to keep focused.. especially since the main story isn't all that enticing...

Also.. Kittens!

Kittens to you too, Mister!

Careful with the fluffy ones though. They may look cute but they're plotting wold domination.

Kittens!

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:40  Blue 

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 16:36:

The Cancer Industry

And it was only a year or so back that Harvard came out and said cancer is all but incurable with current technology and we likely wouldn't see any real in-roads for at least another century.

I, for one, am at a loss as to your point here.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 7, 2013, 16:36 Cutter

The Cancer Industry

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo