Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Evening Consolidation May 7, 2013, 09:29 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 00:51:
They're still being coy - both them and Sony. Until everyone sees exactly what's what spelled out and black and white I wouldn't count on either of them coming down in favour of the consumer.

Bingo.

However, if I would need a paid XBox Live Subscription just to use a Netflix app... MS can still Fuck Off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Consolidation May 7, 2013, 07:56 Beamer

They're still being coy - both them and Sony. Until everyone sees exactly what's what spelled out and black and white I wouldn't count on either of them coming down in favour of the consumer.

Yup.
I've said from the start neither company is stupid enough to do this now. I don't think any of them were looking at it seriously, because they understand the infrastructure isn't there, even just in people's homes, let alone outside (in that plenty of systems aren't always hooked up to the internet in the house, for whatever reason.)

But, paraphrasing Will Wright's paraphrasing, no consumer was ever truly happy underestimating the stupidity of companies. So, while I think it was never likely, I still won't celebrate until a device is in my hands without always-on, and, frankly, I expect that Microsoft will roll it out for some games before the end of the lifespan of the next console. Or, at least, have the ability to do so. Sony? Sony would like to but I don't think they have their shit together enough.

But yeah, I won't believe it until the next generation has come and gone.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Evening Consolidation May 7, 2013, 07:48 gray

Exactly, look at the lies thrown out around Sim City.

11. Re: Evening Consolidation May 7, 2013, 02:25 DangerDog

Haven't they said "oh it's up to the publishers to require internet connection to play the game".

seems like the easy way out is to deflect blame.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation May 7, 2013, 00:51 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 23:30 Creston

I'm positive this has nothing to do with the massive fallout from the Orth fiasco. In any case, it's good to see that not EVERYONE at Microsoft has gone completely fucking insane.

Creston

8. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 22:24 xXBatmanXx

Draugr wrote on May 6, 2013, 21:36:
mag wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:48:
jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:23:
Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t.

Yes, they can be taught! Glad they figured that one out.

Well, I hope they stick to that, I can't play a movie on my 360 without having an internet connection....for some reason always wants to make sure codecs are up to date. Dumb fucking thing.

As much as I love my PS3... at least the 360 apparently has support for more than one video codec. It's almost impossible to get anything to play correctly on it without transcoding on the fly from the PC, and that introduces a host of other problems.

The xbox is no different. At least, in my experience, maybe I've missed something.

THat is what I am talking about, you need to be online for it to work.......so anything on a USB or over your network needs to connect to online to make sure the codecs are updated....it is annoying as hell.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

7. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 21:37 Fantaz

jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:21:
Fantaz wrote on May 6, 2013, 19:10:
Will Wright was very smart to have left EA...

About the games as art thing... I'd say we need more games like FEZ, and just more indie games in general.

I think between the game-making tools that are available and crowd funding, we're getting more indie games than ever. What I really want to see is bigger studios make indie-style games with higher production values. Just so tired of 8 bit graphics.

Ahh, Blue moved the Will Wright story into it's own thread here. Bait and switch!

<3 the 8-bit gfx tho...

6. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 21:36 Draugr

mag wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:54:

Well, I hope they stick to that, I can't play a movie on my 360 without having an internet connection....for some reason always wants to make sure codecs are up to date. Dumb fucking thing.

As much as I love my PS3... at least the 360 apparently has support for more than one video codec. It's almost impossible to get anything to play correctly on it without transcoding on the fly from the PC, and that introduces a host of other problems.

The xbox is no different. At least, in my experience, maybe I've missed something.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 20:54 mag

4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 20:48 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 20:23 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 20:21 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on May 6, 2013, 19:10:

About the games as art thing... I'd say we need more games like FEZ, and just more indie games in general.

I think between the game-making tools that are available and crowd funding, we're getting more indie games than ever. What I really want to see is bigger studios make indie-style games with higher production values. Just so tired of 8 bit graphics.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 19:10 Fantaz

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo