Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights

EA announces "a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines." The announcement has comments from EA Labels President Frank Gibeau, as does a new blog update on the topic on EA News, neither of which disclose the financial terms of the agreement. Here's what the announcement says about the deal: "Here's what this covers: "Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories." Here's Frank Gibeau's outline of their general plans:

The EA Studios that will develop these games are some of the most innovative and popular creative teams in the world, and include DICE and Visceral, in addition to the BioWare team, which is already developing for the Star Wars franchise. These imaginative teams will make games that may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories. Powering it all will be the Frostbite 3 development engine – guaranteeing incredible graphic fidelity, environments and characters.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

31. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 22:52 siapnar

While it's easy to be pessimistic, I think at least ONE great Star Wars game could come out of this, especially if it's a Battlefront type dealie made by DICE

EA has not fucked absolutely everything up... yet

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 22:21 Krovven

Give me a good Outlaws remake, sequel or prequel and I'll forgive EA for everything else, temporarily at least.

Unlikely as this is a Star Wars deal, but I don't care if I never see another IP from LucasArts if I can get a new Outlaws game.

29. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 21:24 Krizzen

Found this on Reddit that someone made for the occasion, just had to share it. You won't be disappointed.  

28. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 20:55 xXBatmanXx

Anyone else find it a little ironic that the Empire now has full control of the SW games?......  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 20:51 xXBatmanXx

Star Wars Sims 38  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 20:19 Rea1One

DICE can make Battlefront games, Visceral Games can finish Star Wars 1313 and BioWare can make more Star Wars RPG’s.

Seems rather good to me.

25. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 20:18 wtf_man

Redmask wrote on May 6, 2013, 17:31:
EA is probably the only company in the world that could do worse with the Star Wars IP than LucasArts did.

Pretty much... yeah.

24. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 18:35 NegaDeath

The only positive I can spin from this is the potential of a Dice developed Battlefront 3. Any hope of seeing other old series revived is pretty much gone. Between this and "a new StarWars movie every year!" my tentative expectation for improvement post-Lucas is gone.  

23. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 18:30 Endo

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 6, 2013, 17:02:
Guess i can scratch off star wars games off my buy list.
+1

22. Re: More Big Picture Details May 6, 2013, 18:30 HorrorScope

They bleed money and do the same thing over and over. Now it's like picking on a baby. They just love being least loved.  

21. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 18:25 Cutter

Not that I care about Lame Wars anyway but this was a seriously boneheaded move on Disney's part.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 18:13 Hellcinder

Who says it was money. :-)

Oh and mEAsah happy! The Jar Jar Binks of gaming gots its hands on Starsa Wars!!

Now we can have Battlefront 2014 Madden edition.

19. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:57 Flatline

I wonder just how much money EA stuffed down Disney's throat to take exclusive rights.

Must have been a LOT.

18. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:42 Kosumo

In an EA CEO office far far away .......

"Start Wars?, yeah we could milk that, thanks Disney"

Also this is what you get with all the Jedi and their 'May the 4thing' now your been hit with the 'Revenge of the 6th!' (Sith)

17. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:31 Redmask

El Pit wrote on May 6, 2013, 16:49:
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of gamers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened. Flush

Talk about self-fulfilling destiny.

EA is probably the only company in the world that could do worse with the Star Wars IP than LucasArts did.

Luke can save the galaxy...right after he plunks down $9.99 for the Lightsaber DLC Pack and Force Booster.

16. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:30 Julio

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 6, 2013, 17:12:
As long as EA continues its boycott of Steam I won't be buying any of these games. Not that it matters, as they'll all be micro-transaction based ultra-casual games targeted at children.

And here I was going to say, at least they won't be on Steam

15. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:27 Omni

Good game.  

14. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:23 nin

J wrote on May 6, 2013, 17:20:
Despite the Rebels' best efforts, the Sith have triumphed and now rule over the galaxy El Pit already took what I was going to type. Props!

Don't forget about the "Rebels Win" DLC! Preorder NOW for $9.99!!!!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:20 J

Despite the Rebels' best efforts, the Sith have triumphed and now rule over the galaxy El Pit already took what I was going to type. Props!  

12. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:17 Wildone

Ah well, theres goes the Xwing sim..  

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo