Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights

EA announces "a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines." The announcement has comments from EA Labels President Frank Gibeau, as does a new blog update on the topic on EA News, neither of which disclose the financial terms of the agreement. Here's what the announcement says about the deal: "Here's what this covers: "Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories." Here's Frank Gibeau's outline of their general plans:

The EA Studios that will develop these games are some of the most innovative and popular creative teams in the world, and include DICE and Visceral, in addition to the BioWare team, which is already developing for the Star Wars franchise. These imaginative teams will make games that may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories. Powering it all will be the Frostbite 3 development engine – guaranteeing incredible graphic fidelity, environments and characters.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 14:06 Verno

Our first EA Star Wars game:

Servers are at full capacity, please try again in 30 minutes or insert $5 login DLC to continue.

The sad thing is that it's possible

Also SimCity. That's just funny all by itself!

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 14:00 RollinThundr

Give in to your hate BN posters. The power of the darkside that is EA will grow stronger on your tears. Lets see what they do with it first. Though TOR is pretty terrible so like all of you I don't have high hopes.  

49. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 13:47 Verno

Darks wrote on May 7, 2013, 10:50:
Say what you want about GB, but at least they didn't just up and dump the game and stop updating it.

Polishing a turd. I don't want Gearbox anywhere near the Star Wars IP even if they will give it a lifetime of updates. They seem to do Borderlands well and little else (I do miss Brothers in Arms though). When they start shipping competent products that do not have the Borderlands tag on them then we'll see.

48. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 11:51 MisterBenn

"You’ve never heard of EA? … It’s the publisher that can run a franchise into the ground in less than 12 parsecs."

Sorry, that was the last one left by the time I got here. If they do manage to release a good Star Wars game, can I reserve "That thing's operational!" ?

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

47. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 10:50 Darks

Verno wrote on May 7, 2013, 09:05:
Well it could have been worse I guess, could have been Gearbox.

Say what you want about GB, but at least they didn't just up and dump the game and stop updating it. There was a new 5 GB patch that was released today that adds a lot of new environmental fixes and changes. the game is looks pretty sweet now with all those changes.

Cant say that same thing about EA.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

46. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 09:29 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on May 6, 2013, 23:06:
Krovven wrote on May 6, 2013, 22:21:
Give me a good Outlaws remake, sequel or prequel and I'll forgive EA for everything else, temporarily at least.

Unlikely as this is a Star Wars deal, but I don't care if I never see another IP from LucasArts if I can get a new Outlaws game.

LucasArts is dead (literally, Disney shut it down), so I doubt you'll be seeing anything from them ever again.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this news. LucasArts hadn't made anything good since the 90's. Bioware is responsible for one of the best SW games out there (KOTOR). DICE could do great things with the Battlefront IP. Not sure what Visceral would do. A horror SW game could be interesting.

If not EA, who else? Ubisoft? Activision? Actually, Raven made some of the best SW games too (Jedi Outcast & Academy), so that could be interesting. That said, Activision also has the worst history when it comes to licensed games.

Where is Volition at? Yeah....exactly!

I have a nifty blue line!

45. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 09:22 InBlack

Verno wrote on May 7, 2013, 09:05:

I envisage an even worse scenario...

Developed by Gearbox, Published by EA...

44. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 09:05 Verno

43. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 09:02 Darks

OldTimber wrote on May 7, 2013, 02:37:
Could be worse it could be raining.....

Look on the bright side now we can get a Sims Star Wars with expansion packs every month for 19.99, or another quality MMO from Bioware set in a different period. My god I just threw up typing that last line.....

Well guess I'm back in my Star Wars hating/not caring period I went through after the whole Vong crap stories they published in the 90's.

Real nice 1-2 punch today, first this announcement which means I won't be playing/bothering with anymore Star Wars games and Adobe taking Photoshop sub only with the next version. call me crazy but I like to buy my software and use whenever I want, if it sits unrun it sits but paying a sub a month and not using it would be crazy. Maybe if I had a dog someone would shoot it also to go for the hat-trick.

It is worst, it is raining here We are doomed!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

42. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 07:56 InBlack

Fuck...  

41. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 07:30 Armengar

FUCK! NO! There goes my (no matter how small) hopes of the xwing franchise being revamped.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

40. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 03:04 J

Well, sir, I did almost blow up the death star. I had the shot lined up and everything... but then my connection dropped. It then took me back to the beginning so I ragequit  

39. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 02:37 OldTimber

Could be worse it could be raining.....

Look on the bright side now we can get a Sims Star Wars with expansion packs every month for 19.99, or another quality MMO from Bioware set in a different period. My god I just threw up typing that last line.....

Well guess I'm back in my Star Wars hating/not caring period I went through after the whole Vong crap stories they published in the 90's.

Real nice 1-2 punch today, first this announcement which means I won't be playing/bothering with anymore Star Wars games and Adobe taking Photoshop sub only with the next version. call me crazy but I like to buy my software and use whenever I want, if it sits unrun it sits but paying a sub a month and not using it would be crazy. Maybe if I had a dog someone would shoot it also to go for the hat-trick.

38. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 02:27 saluk

Where else was disney going to send the rights? Into the garbage chute, flyboy.  

37. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 7, 2013, 00:34 Beelzebud

The Bioware that made KOTOR doesn't exist anymore.  

36. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:38 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on May 6, 2013, 18:25:
Not that I care about Lame Wars anyway but this was a seriously boneheaded move on Disney's part.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

On a more serious note, EA has published some decent scifi games like Dead Space and Mass Effect (ME is practically SW already). And a Dice produced Battlefront game could be pretty fun.

A agree about day 1 DLC, microtransactions, etc. would be pretty annoying, but most larger publishers are going that route these days.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2013, 23:45.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

35. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:38 Creston

Hmmm. On the positive side:

- It's not LucasArts making them.
- Bioware has actually made an awesome Star Wars RPG before.

On the negative side:

- It's EA, so the next Star Wars game will feature Facebook integration, come out on every single platform known to man and thus be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator imaginable, it will feature shoe-in multiplayer and microtransactions, and 424 different DLCs, including one where if you buy a bottle of Axe bodyspray, you get the "Han Solo Axe Move", where Han douses himself in Axe, then grins as Leia rips his clothes off.

And it's a multi-year license. Yay.

Creston

34. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:28 Crustacean Soup

Nice thing they picked their "star" studios to handle this. I'll be curious to see how it turns out.  

33. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:13 Endo

NegaDeath wrote on May 6, 2013, 18:35:
The only positive I can spin from this is the potential of a Dice developed Battlefront 3.
That's very much not a positive for me. I think Dice blows as a developer, for multiple reasons. The only Battlefield I ever enjoyed even a little bit was 1942.

32. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 23:06 Jerykk

Krovven wrote on May 6, 2013, 22:21:
Give me a good Outlaws remake, sequel or prequel and I'll forgive EA for everything else, temporarily at least.

Unlikely as this is a Star Wars deal, but I don't care if I never see another IP from LucasArts if I can get a new Outlaws game.

LucasArts is dead (literally, Disney shut it down), so I doubt you'll be seeing anything from them ever again.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this news. LucasArts hadn't made anything good since the 90's. Bioware is responsible for one of the best SW games out there (KOTOR). DICE could do great things with the Battlefront IP. Not sure what Visceral would do. A horror SW game could be interesting.

If not EA, who else? Ubisoft? Activision? Actually, Raven made some of the best SW games too (Jedi Outcast & Academy), so that could be interesting. That said, Activision also has the worst history when it comes to licensed games.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo