Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month

The Bethesda Blog has details on the Void Walker's Arsenal DLC coming to Dishonored on May 14th. This gathers together four DLC packs previously only available as preorder bonuses. Word is: "With the Void Walker’s Arsenal add-on pack, gain immediate access to four content bundles previously available only through pre-ordering Dishonored. The Acrobatic Killer Pack, Arcane Assassin Pack, Backstreet Butcher Pack and Shadow Rat Pack offer unique character bonuses, additional bone charm slots, unhidden books and bonus coins that will aid you in your pursuit of revenge. Found in the Hound Pits Pub, use these items to enhance your playthrough of Corvo’s main campaign in the original game."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 18:19 yuastnav

*shrug* Gothic 1 is the best game I have ever played and yet I do know that it has a lot of problems and hasn't aged that well in the controls department, yet my opinion will not change.
That is not because of how good the game is but because of how great the game was for me when I played it and how fondly I remember the times when I played it. That will simply not change.
That probably applies to all game one has played but that is only my opinion.

As for Dishonoured, I enjoyed it greatly. I have never played the Thief games and the only stealth games I played were the first three Splinter Cell games. Those were really good but I knocked out all the guards in order to get through the level.
When I played Dishonoured I decided not to do this and it was such a great decision. I was not aware of the term "ghosting" at that time but trying to get through the level without knocking down guards was so much more fun than hiding their bodies in dark corners or something like that.
I also don't like Steampunk since I think the concept in itself is pretty stupid but I still enjoyed the world of Dishonoured up to the point where it was one of my favourite games of 2012.

[edit]
I was also impressed by the fact that all missions gave you the option not to kill anyone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 16:27 Quinn

yuastnav wrote on May 6, 2013, 10:17:
Quinn wrote on May 6, 2013, 09:50:
Redmask wrote on May 6, 2013, 07:12:
But don't you see, the game is a croissant and you're wrong Rolleyes

Aww that's cure ^^ (someone explain to this guy the point I was making :)) You little toddler you ^^

Jerykk, you made your point clearly and I see it. I realize that the game, to me, was either imbalanced but fun for a while... or simply uninteresting; tasteless. Nothing you say can make me feel differently. All I can be is jealous, in a time of gaming-crisis. Bored out of my ass these days... where are the promising titles -_-

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter

Haha, it doesn't apply to this. I'm not saying the last 10 years have been bad or anything. It's really just lately. Apart from TR there hasn't really been a game I really thought good, nor are any Coming-Soon releases promising much. Hell, I'm actually looking forward to CoJ: Gunslinger the most atm...

Nostalgia... it can be a very limiting thing. Also know that it's often not the time that was better and with less worries... but you yourself.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

27. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 14:58 Verno

Ignore++.

Back on topic, list of improvements I'd like to see in a sequel:

- better level design for true ghosting
- More balanced mix of powers for non-lethal players
- Better texture work in general
- expansion of the setting
- More levels like the bridge and dinner party

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

26. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 13:40 Quinn

Verno wrote on May 6, 2013, 10:59:
You guys should really stop responding to the troll, he does this in every Dishonored topic, it's obvious attention seeking behavior. Arguing logic and reason is pointless, it's over his head even if all of your points are spot on.

Typical.

I guess a troll doesn't feel insulted when he's called one. I do. I am very open to reason so don't bs the net. I'm guilty of expressing my disdain for the game in many topics about the game, but since when does that hurt your tender mind? When a discussion ensues, often with Jerykk, I am open to points made and expect the same to be done in return. The joke is on you, as I ended the discussion myself in my last comment.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

25. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 10:59 Verno

You guys should really stop responding to the troll, he does this in every Dishonored topic, it's obvious attention seeking behavior. Arguing logic and reason is pointless, it's over his head even if all of your points are spot on.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

24. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 10:17 yuastnav

Quinn wrote on May 6, 2013, 09:50:

Aww that's cure ^^ (someone explain to this guy the point I was making :)) You little toddler you ^^

Jerykk, you made your point clearly and I see it. I realize that the game, to me, was either imbalanced but fun for a while... or simply uninteresting; tasteless. Nothing you say can make me feel differently. All I can be is jealous, in a time of gaming-crisis. Bored out of my ass these days... where are the promising titles -_-

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter

23. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 09:50 Quinn

Aww that's cute ^^ (someone explain to this guy the point I was making :)) You little toddler you ^^

This comment was edited on May 6, 2013, 13:24.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 07:12 Redmask

21. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 04:11 Jerykk

Yes, you can refrain from using OP weapons in horror games. I did that in Dead Space by only using the Plasma Cutter. However, that doesn't change the fact that the game forced me to kill hordes of monsters, rendering them completely non-scary. There's nothing I could have done to avoid that, as killing stuff was the only way to progress. Using weaker weapons did make killing stuff more intense but not enough to offset the inherent contradiction of killing stuff in a game where I'm supposed to feel scared and vulnerable.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using the abilities in Dishonored. The abilities are what make the game so interesting. It's how you use them that matters. If you use them to dispatch every guard you see, there's your issue right there. Dispatching guards makes every stealth game easy and the ability to teleport and pause time makes dispatching guards really, really easy. It's a vicious cycle of easiness that negates the need for creativity or planning. However, if you choose to ghost your way through Dishonored, your abilities are far less overpowered and the game is still challenging. You're forced to have a better understanding (and appreciation) of the game's underlying systems and mechanics. That's probably why I enjoyed Dishonored a lot more than you did.

20. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 03:21 Quinn

Yes, I didn't like it because it was flawed so I decided to simply not use it at all. In Dishonored, the magic abilities were flawed in that they were so imbalanced. However not using them left a gigantic hole in the game, like removing the ham from a ham-and-cheese croissant because it turns out to taste horrible... but in doing so the entire croissant becomes a tasteless, dull thing.

I saw your rebuttal coming regarding the horror analogy. But you should concede my point as well. You can make it harder for yourself in a horror game by limiting yourself to only a few clumsy guns, not using imba alternative fires and setting yourself an ammo-using limit.

In the end I understand its all about opinions here. To me the croissant analogy applies to not using magical abilities to make Dishonored "harder". To you it obviously doesn't. And while it does strike me as odd -- because I indeed hate the game with all my guts and I hardly ever experience such an extreme difference of critique in this community -- so be it. ^^

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

19. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 6, 2013, 02:04 Jerykk

Jerykk, I remember you argueing that a horror game cannot be scary when you have means like guns to take care of the threats. Now, I can use your arguments and tell you that's bogus.. because you don't have to pick up stronger guns, ammo caches, and you may as well only use 5 bullets a mission... in this way making the game scary. To me, it's the same flawed logic.

Your analogy is flawed because the horror games that involve shooting typically revolve around shooting. It's unavoidable. Dead Space, Resident Evil, FEAR, The Suffering, Bioshock... you cannot make it through these games without shooting stuff. Conversely, in most stealth games, you can. There's nothing forcing you to neutralize guards in Dishonored or Deus Ex or Thief or Hitman or Splinter Cell (except for Conviction). If you neutralize guards, it's because you choose to, not because you're forced to. A well-designed stealth game is open-ended and accommodates various playstyles. If you prefer an easier experience, you can neutralize guards. If you prefer a harder experience, you can try and ghost. If you choose the easier experience, you can't really complain about lack of difficulty when you had other, more difficult but equally viable ways to play through the game.

Also, I thought you disliked the disguise system in Absolution because it wasn't nearly as effective as the systems in the previous games? Your refusal to use it was because you thought it was broken and ineffective, not because you sought a greater challenge.

18. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 5, 2013, 19:10 Quinn

What ItBurns says is what I (am trying to) say.

Jerykk, I remember you argueing that a horror game cannot be scary when you have means like guns to take care of the threats. Now, I can use your arguments and tell you that's bogus.. because you don't have to pick up stronger guns, ammo caches, and you may as well only use 5 bullets a mission... in this way making the game scary. To me, it's the same flawed logic.

You can make any stealth game harder by not using the abilities that make sneaking easier. It's why I never used disguises in the last Hitman. It's also why the last Hitman sucked. Same goes for Dishonored.. but at least that game had the unique blink feature, which was imba to the core but fun while it lasted -- which wasn't all that long.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

17. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 5, 2013, 19:03 Jerykk

Dishonored, like so many other games these days, completely misuses the term "ghost." To ghost is to get through a level undetected and without neutralizing anyone or anything. Hence the term "ghost." Ghosts don't knock people out and hide their bodies. I think publishers just want to broaden the definition to make it more accessible to casual players.

If you abuse an unbalanced mechanic (like blink + choke) and then complain about difficulty, I'm not sure what to say. Games that offer choice are very much defined by the choices you make. If you choose the path of least resistance, you'll likely end up with an experience that's too easy and unsatisfying. That's why I started ghosting in the first place. I used to play stealth games as you do now, neutralizing every guard I saw. After a while, it started getting boring because AI isn't advanced enough to react properly. Guards need to notice when their buddies start disappearing instead of blithely continuing their idle routines. When a guard disappears for a sufficient length of time, an alarm should be sounded and all the guards in the level should go into alert mode, randomly searching every nook and cranny in their respective areas. If games did this, more people would start ghosting as a matter of necessity, rather than a desire for greater challenge.

16. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 5, 2013, 01:37 ItBurn

Point is, I played this game like every other game out there and with this one I found that it became monotonous too fast to a point where it was one of it's biggest flaws. It was still a good game, but below average in that respect when compared to other stealth games I liked. Maybe the fact that blink-and-choke is so powerful is the problem, but the game lets you do it, so I'm going to do it. I'm not going to roleplay if the mechanics aren't balanced properly. I also played in hard mode and explored every damn thing. Got all paintings, all the runes minus one and heard pretty much every damn conversation and got the ghost and don't kill anyone checkboxes in all but one mission. To me ghosting is doing it undetected, which is the actual definition of the word in Dishonored.  

15. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 4, 2013, 22:47 nin

Just started playing it again, because I kinda felt bad that I haven't even finished it yet. Just finished the bridge level, and it was pretty damn awesome.

That and Return To the Tower were two of my favorites...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 4, 2013, 18:50 Creston

Just started playing it again, because I kinda felt bad that I haven't even finished it yet. Just finished the bridge level, and it was pretty damn awesome.

That said, I fail to see what the point of this DLC pack is at this point in time. They should have released this two weeks after the game came out.

Creston

13. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 4, 2013, 18:33 Jerykk

Quinn wrote on May 4, 2013, 06:01:
Apart from the magic abilities, Thief had all those options as well. Sadly, the magic made the game way too easy, and for me there was a game-breaking lack of motivation to explore.

I can't repeat it enough times: too me Dishonored was way too little way too late in every (!!!) aspect. The world and the story were incredibly boring and uninteresting. And that's coming from a steampunk lover.

This game has been overcredited, imo.

Thief is considered by many to be the greatest stealth series of all time and Dishonored has much in common with it so... yeah. As for difficulty, it's all up to how you play. Try ghosting on the highest difficulty and stealing every piece of loot you can. That makes the game significantly harder and much more Thief-like. If you go around neutralizing every guard you encounter, of course it's going to be easy. That's true of every stealth game ever made (including Thief). With each guard you dispatch, you make the level progressively easier.

12. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 4, 2013, 17:44 Redmask

Quinn wrote on May 4, 2013, 16:41:
RedMask, whenever I see someone defending this game like it's their life mission... I feel a calling to critisize it.

You're doing the exact same shit you confront me with so either zip it or just let me critisize whenever the hell I see fit.

You're the one who keeps attacking a videogame like its your 'lifes mission', the rest of us are just clicking hoping to discover and talk about a game we like. That's ok though, I'll find a game you like and turf it using your own posted words until you see why this is stupid behavior

This comment was edited on May 4, 2013, 17:59.

11. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 4, 2013, 16:41 Quinn

RedMask, whenever I see someone defending this game like it's their life mission... I feel a calling to critisize it.

You're doing the exact same shit you confront me with so either zip it or just let me critisize whenever the hell I see fit.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

10. Re: Dishonored Void Walker's Arsenal DLC This Month May 4, 2013, 09:31 Redmask

Quinn wrote on May 4, 2013, 06:01:
I can't repeat it enough times: too me Dishonored was way too little way too late in every (!!!) aspect. The world and the story were incredibly boring and uninteresting. And that's coming from a steampunk lover.

This game has been overcredited, imo.

You certainly never miss an opportunity to shit up these threads like some weird stalker who can't get over an ex.

We've heard your thoughts many times, here are my thoughts - the game is fantastic, the story was engaging, the world building was excellent and we should be so lucky to get more games like it instead of generic shooters and Bioware RPGs.

This comment was edited on May 4, 2013, 09:38.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo