Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses

Kotaku has a response from SEGA to the lawsuit filed against them and Gearbox over differences between how Aliens: Colonial Marines was marketed and how the first-person shooter turned out. They say they cannot comment, and then proceed to comment: "SEGA cannot comment on specifics of ongoing litigation," they tell the site. "But we are confident that the lawsuit is without merit and we will defend it vigorously." They followed this up with a comment from Gearbox, who think it is less than without merit, saying they will defend the rights of entertainers: "Attempting to wring a class action lawsuit out of a demonstration is beyond meritless. We continue to support the game, and will defend the rights of entertainers to share their works-in-progress without fear of frivolous litigation."

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 12:52 Redmask

Calling Aliens Colonial Marines 'not perfect' is understating it so much that it borders on apologism.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 12:32 nin

Richard J. Moore &#8207;@athlondude 2h

@DuvalMagic @mikeyface Call me crazy but ACM is the game I waited forever for. No its not perfect but with a little TLC from GBX it can be.

Randy Pitchford Randy Pitchford &#8207;@DuvalMagic 1h

@athlondude Thanks! Devs cared a lot and we invested a lot of ourselves into it. It's nice to hear from people who appreciate the game!

See?! They invested A LOT.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 12:27 Jivaro

I think very nearly everyone feels like they were disingenuous. I am just not sure that constitutes as illegal. I will follow this with some interest, but I am not sure anger and some sort of misguided sense of revenge is a legitimate reason to hope a lawsuit succeeds. I don't want video game companies to stop making preview videos and releasing demos because of liability. Regulation has a way of doing that. Companies don't necessarily always conform to regulation, they just stop doing whatever it is that is being regulated unless it is necessary. It isn't like a lot of marketing and hype doesn't already get thrown out there without actually showing any gameplay.  

19. Re: More Big Picture Details May 3, 2013, 12:09 Beamer

Linksil wrote on May 3, 2013, 12:00:
I'm sorry but "work in progress" has always ment "Look at what we can already do in game, and it will get better" from every other game I've ever seen

People keep saying this, but it is rarely true. Fire up any E3 video and it will look better than the final release. I mean, hell, people here complain about it often, or at least used to.

Is the change this dramatic? Almost definitely not. But games tend to get less good looking in their final months, not more. When you hit the point that you realize engine optimizations won't give you the speed increase you need you instead start decreasing the graphics.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: More Big Picture Details May 3, 2013, 12:00 Linksil

I'm sorry but "work in progress" has always ment "Look at what we can already do in game, and it will get better" from every other game I've ever seen. Now If they had cut the scenes totally from the game and given a reason I can see it being a bit different. Instead you have the scenes the same in game just totally different on a graphical level. There was no reasons given for the downgrade, there was no excuses given, there wasn't even revised trailers released at the launch of the game to tell people the "updates" to the engine.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

17. Re: More Big Picture Details May 3, 2013, 11:09 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on May 3, 2013, 11:07:

Ah no. Borderlands is their flagship franchise, like Elder Scrolls/Fallout engine is what makes Bethesda. If everything else fails, they live on easily due to that.

Yeah, I'm personally tiring of Borderlands since it doesn't seem to evolve much but I know the gameplay formula resonates well with a lot of other people. I wish Gearbox would revisit Brothers in Arms or something else instead of taking on all of these problematic games from other companies.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

16. Re: More Big Picture Details May 3, 2013, 11:07 HorrorScope

Mad Max RW wrote on May 3, 2013, 09:31:
The market itself will ultimately destroy Gearbox.

Ah no. Borderlands is their flagship franchise, like Elder Scrolls/Fallout engine is what makes Bethesda. If everything else fails, they live on easily due to that.

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 11:06 Wallshadows

While I would love to see them get grilled in court over this, I doubt it'll happen but it's not really a 'win' for SEGA and Gearbox either. Their reputation, especially the already dubious efforts of Gearbox, has become tarnished and now that dislike extends well beyond those who got burned by purchasing this product.

The silver lining, if anything, is hopefully a win for the community and will deter any other studio for following the same route.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details May 3, 2013, 11:05 HorrorScope

I need to get this deck of cards these companies have:

"But we are confident that the lawsuit is without merit and we will defend it vigorously."

Face it, a person could be truthful, but a company will always lie to save it's non-human ass. Everytime. Even when guilty they will never admit it, never.

13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:53 KilrathiAce

That game was complete insult towards customers who paid for it and they well know it, they got away with "murder" with that game.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:46 Verno

Darks wrote on May 3, 2013, 10:40:
Really Verno? I didn't compare it, I used it as a reference to what's happens in the gaming industry as a whole. Learn to know the difference to a comparison and a reference.

Quibbling about the language is really childish and petty, the point stands regardless. Sure this stuff happens in the industry but your "reference" of Bioshock is invalid as it pertains to this situation.

And yes for the record, I have seen people bitch about that too anyway

The only good thing about this is that the next studio will think twice before showing ice cream through the glass and then putting shit on the cone. Money spent on this bs is better spent on the game.

Agreed, if nothing else studios might be a bit more careful with their pre-release marketing bonanzas.

11. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:40 Darks

Verno wrote on May 3, 2013, 10:20:
Darks wrote on May 3, 2013, 10:18:
Take the new Bioshock infinity for example. The removed something like 2 games worth of levels from the game. I don't hear anyone bitching about that.

Sure, that game was good. Also the stuff they showed was on the same level as what was in game, it wasn't a drastic product quality difference.

I don't think the lawsuit will go anywhere but to say that it compares to Bioshock Infinite seems silly.

Really Verno? I didn't compare it, I used it as a reference to what's happens in the gaming industry as a whole. Learn to know the difference to a comparison and a reference.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:31 FU

The only good thing about this is that the next studio will think twice before showing ice cream through the glass and then putting shit on the cone. Money spent on this bs is better spent on the game.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2013, 10:37.

9. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:20 Verno

Darks wrote on May 3, 2013, 10:18:
Take the new Bioshock infinity for example. The removed something like 2 games worth of levels from the game. I don't hear anyone bitching about that.

Sure, that game was good. Also the stuff they showed was on the same level as what was in game, it wasn't a drastic product quality difference.

I don't think the lawsuit will go anywhere but to say that it compares to Bioshock Infinite seems silly.

8. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:18 eRe4s3r

I am all for sharing work in progress. I am however confident it can be proven that they lied in their advertising.  

7. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:18 Darks

netnerd85 wrote on May 3, 2013, 09:46:
nin wrote on May 3, 2013, 09:24:
"Attempting to wring a class action lawsuit out of a demonstration is beyond meritless. We continue to support the game, and will defend the rights of entertainers to share their works-in-progress without fear of frivolous litigation."

"Also, Randy is in his office, pouting."

Putting 100% in game footage on the video is not a work in progress. Scumbags.

And that is where you would be wrong, it did show 100 percent game footage, but it also showed work in progress. and that will get them off in a heat beat. some people are so deluded, you guys would fall over backwards and pass out if you saw all the game footage that's been cut from games while in production.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:12 MattyC

Mad Max RW wrote on May 3, 2013, 09:31:
This is Ion Storm all over again.

While I gather there was false presentation here, (haven't played the game myself, going off of comments) I don't think it was the level of Dominion trickery. I also don't think they are buying up games and shoveling them out to get out of a contract, they are just being dumb as far as I can tell.

I am not trying to say they are sustainable, but they also aren't throwing out shovelware while hyping up a terrible title like Daikatana. Also, sadly, I don't see one of their subdivisions cranking out a Deus Ex or Anachronox.

5. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:07 InBlack

Never bought the game. Was smart enough to wait and see. I doubt anything will come of the lawsuit but I hope that at least a large portion of those who pre-ordered this piece of shit will be smart enough to resist pre-ordering their next uber-hyped turd of choice.  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 10:03 Arithon

Their whole argument is "We didn't tell the truth, but we weren't lying"

No holes in that. At all.

I hope they lose. Badly. It's the only entertainment I'll get out of my copy of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

3. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 09:46 netnerd85

nin wrote on May 3, 2013, 09:24:
"Attempting to wring a class action lawsuit out of a demonstration is beyond meritless. We continue to support the game, and will defend the rights of entertainers to share their works-in-progress without fear of frivolous litigation."

"Also, Randy is in his office, pouting."

Putting 100% in game footage on the video is not a work in progress. Scumbags.

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo