Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses

Kotaku has a response from SEGA to the lawsuit filed against them and Gearbox over differences between how Aliens: Colonial Marines was marketed and how the first-person shooter turned out. They say they cannot comment, and then proceed to comment: "SEGA cannot comment on specifics of ongoing litigation," they tell the site. "But we are confident that the lawsuit is without merit and we will defend it vigorously." They followed this up with a comment from Gearbox, who think it is less than without merit, saying they will defend the rights of entertainers: "Attempting to wring a class action lawsuit out of a demonstration is beyond meritless. We continue to support the game, and will defend the rights of entertainers to share their works-in-progress without fear of frivolous litigation."

View
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

62. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:49 Yosemite Sam

Krovven wrote on May 3, 2013, 19:05:
That half second shot at 1:36 is in the game. http://youtu.be/dIIAeFsx7bA?t=4m14s The lighting is slightly different, and that's it. Lighting is a common thing to have change and not lawsuit worthy. If movie and game companies got sued for everything that changed from trailer to final production, nobody would make entertainment any more. But good on you for picking out a fraction of a second shot in a trailer that has lighting different than the final product. You deserve millions in compensation.

The second example you gave is a pre-rendered cutscene halfway through the game (not in-engine like some of the cutscenes in the game). Which you would know if you had played the game and had any clue what you are talking about.

http://youtu.be/dIIAeFsx7bA 12:06, the exact shot, from a cutscene, that is in the final game.

There are plenty of articles and websites dedicated to listing scenes from trailers that changed or were omitted entirely in their final products. The marketing studios that cut trailers get their material months and months in advance of a game or movie being finished. The material they have is what gets used.

Other lawsuits of this nature go nowhere, and this one will die quickly too.

Yup, my bad on the second one, thought it was from the very first cut scene at the start of the game.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:33 jdreyer

Linksil wrote on May 3, 2013, 19:19:
I think this is the best comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo

What I'd really like to see is a comparison of the game with a comparison of the trailers released right before the game went gold: trailer 1, trailer 2, trailer 3. I haven't seen anything like that yet. I just don't think there's a case if you're comparing the final game vs. a demo released 6 months or a year before hand.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

60. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:19 Krovven

Shataan wrote on May 3, 2013, 19:00:
MANY of the enviros textures etc, looked dated and washed out.

And to that I will quote what I said in the ACM topic a couple days ago.

"The level design, is consistent with the Aliens film. After having played the game a fair amount, and then going back and watching the movie again, they recreated the aesthetic look and floormap exactly like the movie. I can see why some people will take issue with them using a 1986 design and not upgrading it, but I like that they recreated it exactly how it was in the movie."

59. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:19 Linksil

I think this is the best comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

58. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:17 deqer

"work in progress" doesn't mean you show in-game footage that looks better than what the released product ends up being.

"work in progress" isn't a backwards thing. It's a forwards thing. The finished title is supposed to look better than what your "work in progress" video showed, not look worse.

57. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:15 jdreyer

Krovven wrote on May 3, 2013, 15:42:
I want a refund on the movie Cliffhanger because it didn't have that crazy cliff jump from the trailers in the theatrical release of the movie. I paid $10 to see it and was forced rent the movie on DVD to see the cliff jump after it was added back in. /sarcasm

People are stupid.

The original Lord of the Rings trailer had about a dozen shots that never made it into the theatrical release. It was noticable, but no one complained (IIRC). The shots did end up in the extended edition though.

Especially if those trailers right before the release are all representative of the gameplay, then there's no case here.

56. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:12 jdreyer

PHJF wrote on May 3, 2013, 18:53:
Throngs of suckers buy shitty game, demand recompense: story at 11.

This is quite true. Regardless of the source of the footage for all those trailers, it's pretty obvious to all of us that the game looked like ass. Just read the comments.

55. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:05 Krovven

That half second shot at 1:36 is in the game. http://youtu.be/dIIAeFsx7bA?t=4m14s The lighting is slightly different, and that's it. Lighting is a common thing to have change and not lawsuit worthy. If movie and game companies got sued for everything that changed from trailer to final production, nobody would make entertainment any more. But good on you for picking out a fraction of a second shot in a trailer that has lighting different than the final product. You deserve millions in compensation.

The second example you gave is a pre-rendered cutscene halfway through the game (not in-engine like some of the cutscenes in the game). Which you would know if you had played the game and had any clue what you are talking about.

http://youtu.be/dIIAeFsx7bA 12:06, the exact shot, from a cutscene, that is in the final game.

There are plenty of articles and websites dedicated to listing scenes from trailers that changed or were omitted entirely in their final products. The marketing studios that cut trailers get their material months and months in advance of a game or movie being finished. The material they have is what gets used.

Other lawsuits of this nature go nowhere, and this one will die quickly too.

54. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 19:00 Shataan

"Looks better after the 4gig patch"

The game looked marginally better. FXAA is still broken, a thing that happened AFTER the 4 gig patch update. Still not fixed. Lighting, still questionable as well. MANY of the enviros textures etc, looked dated and washed out. They need work for sure. Think Crysis 3 textures work. THAT is the quality we should be seeing here. Mind you had the much vaunted Custom Lighting System that was created JUST for A CMs, actually worked, maybe they could have gotten away with these low quality textures.

There is still time tho for GB to put out a quality texture update release. If I had to guess, I`d say they have an understudy working on the fixes.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2013, 19:05.

53. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 18:53 PHJF

Throngs of suckers buy shitty game, demand recompense: story at 11.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

52. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 18:35 jdreyer

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 3, 2013, 17:04:
Krovven wrote on May 3, 2013, 15:32:
jdreyer wrote on May 3, 2013, 14:10:
Question on this. The big deal was being made about the way a demo looked 6 months (there was one back in 2011, too) before release. However, there were three trailers released right before the game shipped.

I don't own the game, but maybe someone can address it. Do these look better/different than what shipped?

It's exactly how the game looked at launch. Looks better after the 4gig patch. Everyone's complaints are based on the E3 Demo footage.

No it isn't how the game looked at launch... Those are not final release game footage, they are using the E3 footage. Pause trailer 2 @ 1:36 that's clearly E3 footage. Pause trailer 3 @ 0:58, again clearly E3 footage... same footage they used on the TV spots, IE not what was shipped.

If THAT trailer footage does not match up, then there might be a case. It will be interesting to see what happens if this ever goes to trial.

51. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 17:04 Yosemite Sam

Krovven wrote on May 3, 2013, 15:32:
jdreyer wrote on May 3, 2013, 14:10:
Question on this. The big deal was being made about the way a demo looked 6 months (there was one back in 2011, too) before release. However, there were three trailers released right before the game shipped.

I don't own the game, but maybe someone can address it. Do these look better/different than what shipped?

It's exactly how the game looked at launch. Looks better after the 4gig patch. Everyone's complaints are based on the E3 Demo footage.

No it isn't how the game looked at launch... Those are not final release game footage, they are using the E3 footage. Pause trailer 2 @ 1:36 that's clearly E3 footage. Pause trailer 3 @ 0:58, again clearly E3 footage... same footage they used on the TV spots, IE not what was shipped.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

50. Re: More Big Picture Details May 3, 2013, 16:37 Shataan

"There was no reasons given for the downgrade, there was no excuses given,"

Had they just told everyone they had to downgrade all the visuals cause of their not being able to impliment it properly on the consoles.... they knew they`d be losing big dough. So, they just didn`t tell anyone till after the release. THIS.... is misleading.

Not to mention I have yet to play a final release that didn`t look as good or better than the preview vids. Open your eyes peeps. Many of us were able to get way better visuals just by tweaking the .inis. Which look btw that GearBox turned most of the vis settings to almost total minimal... ie almost off. Too bad when Randy P and GB shifted into "save our azz" mode, the games quality had to be the sacrificial lamb.

Not to mention the deft slight of hand of throwing TimeGate under the bus. Ahuh. Give your subcontractor no storyline, and expect them to make a sp game campaign???? And then when they don`t pull enough rabbit out of their azz at the 11th hour, your say it is all their fault??? Nice.

49. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 16:14 Krovven

Beamer wrote on May 3, 2013, 16:07:
Yeah, if Randy is smart he'll stay far away from promoting whatever is next.

For the most part, he already has been. The statements in the announcement when they acquired Homeworld was from CCO Brian Martel instead of Randy Pitchford.

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 16:09 Krovven

I have no problem regarding the complaints of the E3 Gameplay Demo being nothing like the final game. I'm disappointed as much as everyone else, possibly more-so since I actually bought the game and have played it a fair amount. Whereas the loudest complainers never even bought the game. Some have admitted to buying it and not even bothering to play it.

Trying to file a class action suit based on that is just stupidity.

When I got the email regarding the Canadian Class Action suit against Sony, I ignored that too, and will not partake in something that is only going to line the pockets of the lawyers. Sony already compensated it's customers, in my opinion far more than it needed to. First off, there is no intent on Sony's part and it was not their fault. Governments around the world are being hacked, personal information stolen, but we don't have class action suits going against governments to bleed them to pay out $2-$5 per person and waste what would amount to billions of dollars of tax payers money.

So people claiming to be entitled to a few dollars credit added to their PSN accounts or what would amount to a coupon from Sega for use towards another of their games, is just wasting peoples time and energy to put money in the pockets of the lawyers.

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 16:07 Beamer

DangerDog wrote on May 3, 2013, 16:04:
Having Aliens Colonial Marines on a resume is perhaps punishment enough, I count on every future game that Gearbox puts out there will be "fan edits" of their trailers inter-splicing "From the makers of Aliens Colonial Marines" and pulled voice over quotes from Randy.

Yeah, if Randy is smart he'll stay far away from promoting whatever is next.
Which means we'll probably hear tons from him.

I think, at this point, even he has to realize he has negative credibility. And, hopefully, that Gearbox needs to focus on one project at a time.

Borderlands 2 was a ton of fun. Ridiculously fun. Only other GB full-release I've played was Borderlands 1, which was ok. I'll almost definitely get BL3, but wouldn't count on even paying attention to anything else they do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 16:04 DangerDog

Having Aliens Colonial Marines on a resume is perhaps punishment enough, I count on every future game that Gearbox puts out there will be "fan edits" of their trailers inter-splicing "From the makers of Aliens Colonial Marines" and pulled voice over quotes from Randy.  

45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 15:48 Beamer

Krovven wrote on May 3, 2013, 15:42:
I want a refund on the movie Cliffhanger because it didn't have that crazy cliff jump from the trailers in the theatrical release of the movie. I paid $10 to see it and was forced rent the movie on DVD to see the cliff jump after it was added back in. /sarcasm

People are stupid.

I mean, that's a bit of a stretch.
This would probably be more similar to the woman that sued Drive for not being The Fast and the Furious.

But even that case had some additional merit. Those commercials were showing a final product, and definitely trying to be misleading.
The E3 videos were showing a product far from being completed and I don't think many of us doubt that Randy hoped, and probably believed, the final version would be very close.

Randy was being a dolt, which we all expect from him by now. The big punishment will be how guarded anyone is around anything GB does from now on.

-------------

44. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 15:42 Krovven

People are stupid.

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Responses May 3, 2013, 15:38 Beamer

McSterls wrote on May 3, 2013, 15:34:
"But we are confident that the lawsuit is without merit and we will defend it vigorously."

Without merit? You showed us one game and released another. That's called fraud, and it has some merit to it.

Because that never happens. Half Life and Halo both had E3 videos that were nothing like the final game.

Again, we're talking something extreme, and you'll say "Halo was shown as a 3rd person game, but it was shown to actually be an FPS before release." Great. ACM was shown to be a good looking game, but, as Krowwen is saying, it was shown to be crap long before release.

Honestly, go to ANY prerelease thread on this board - everyone knew the game was pure garbage. If they did a bait-and-switch we wouldn't have known that, right? How did we know? Because Gearbox was showing us garbage.

-------------

82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo