Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts

Trion Worlds announces that players have created more than one million accounts in Defiance since the launch of the open world shooter one month ago today, less specifically adding that "TV viewers are tuning in at record cable numbers for the first two episodes" of the related TV show. They offer some stats from the game's first month, saying more than a half-billion hellbugs have been killed, 50 million miles have been driven, and Ark Hunters have engaged in triggering and battling back over one million Arkfalls.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 6, 2013, 15:06 Verno

I thought the Defiance pilot was ok, certainly much better than the dreck that is Orphan Black. The lead actress has chops but between the stereotypical flamboyant helper and the unlikable characters there is just no reason to watch it. The actual intrigue isn't very compelling either, cloning has been done better in other shows.

Defiance has its issues but at least its got some room to grow and the concept is interesting.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 13:43 Ant

Agent.X7 wrote on May 3, 2013, 12:27:
I like the game. As has been said, it's basically Borderlands the MMO. The show is OK so far, but this type of show tends to take a while to get good. Farscape? The first ep was pretty good, but then the follow up was horrible. I, ET is still my least favorite Farscape episode. It was so bland and boring after an exciting premiere. Rockne O'Bannon is involved in Defiance, so I'm confident that the show will get better.

I was happy to see the Hellbugs from the game show up in the show as well.
I didn't even like the pilot.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 12:27 Agent.X7

I like the game. As has been said, it's basically Borderlands the MMO. The show is OK so far, but this type of show tends to take a while to get good. Farscape? The first ep was pretty good, but then the follow up was horrible. I, ET is still my least favorite Farscape episode. It was so bland and boring after an exciting premiere. Rockne O'Bannon is involved in Defiance, so I'm confident that the show will get better.

I was happy to see the Hellbugs from the game show up in the show as well.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

27. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 11:31 Ant

How many are actively playing though?

Also, Defiance on SyFy wasn't that good to me after two episodes so I gave up. I did fall in love with Orphan Black though that just got renewed for its second season!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 11:11 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on May 3, 2013, 08:45:
I've haven't gotten around to watching Firefly (it's in the Netflix queue), and frankly at this point there is no way it can live up to the hype so many people have given it. Which only increases my hesitation to watch it.

It has some issues but overall it's a pretty charming and engaging SF/western hybrid. Tune out the hype and just enjoy it.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

25. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 10:56 Kajetan

Mr. Tact wrote on May 3, 2013, 08:45:
I've haven't gotten around to watching Firefly (it's in the Netflix queue), and frankly at this point there is no way it can live up to the hype so many people have given it. Which only increases my hesitation to watch it.
Thats understandable. Therefore i say: Firefly is just a good SF show. With cattle. And a LOT of chinese swearing to outwit the US TV censors. And boobs. Original, unaltered Christina Hendricks boobs. Just watch Firefly for the two episodes with her guest starring. At her boobs. Come on, Give the show a chance

It also features Jewel Staite and Summer Glau. Less boobs, equal or more charming. And i can keep on blabbering about Firefly for hours.

No, really, forget the hype. Free your mind. Just watch it. Not perfect, only good.

24. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 08:45 Mr. Tact

The Defiance show is okay. It's not great, it's not terrible. There are a lot of standard, cliched, storylines, but I pretty much expect that on all television shows these days. It certainly beats the 47 channels of reality shows.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 08:44 Omni

I saw 5 mins of the show and 5 mins of the game-play and then I gave up.
What a pile of shit it is.

22. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 08:31 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on May 3, 2013, 08:10:
InBlack wrote on May 3, 2013, 04:09:
Well the show has a 6.9 rating on IMBD which is pretty fucking horrible. I will never forgive the studio execs who cancelled Firefly, just finished watching it for the first time a few days ago. (I have heard of it before but for some reason never got around to watching it)
Firefly is GOD! Everything works together. Chars, actors, script, setting, effects.

But there is one single reason, why it was doomed to fail in the ratings: Most people dont expect cattle and cowboys in a SF show or spaceships in a western show. Most people need clear and cliche boundaries. A show has to be such and such. And most SF fans are very conservative.

I disagree, in fact most SF fans are very liberal with regards to the material since to even like SF you have be very open minded. No I think the reason why the show failed is three-fold. First of all the original pilot wasnt aired and the season actually opened with the train heist episode. Secondly the whole show was aired out of sequence (whose brilliant idea was that??) Thirdly and most importantly the show was waaay ahead of its time, I think had it been produced today it would have quickly become a hit show.

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 08:10 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on May 3, 2013, 04:09:
Well the show has a 6.9 rating on IMBD which is pretty fucking horrible. I will never forgive the studio execs who cancelled Firefly, just finished watching it for the first time a few days ago. (I have heard of it before but for some reason never got around to watching it)
Firefly is GOD! Everything works together. Chars, actors, script, setting, effects.

But there is one single reason, why it was doomed to fail in the ratings: Most people dont expect cattle and cowboys in a SF show or spaceships in a western show. Most people need clear and cliche boundaries. A show has to be such and such. And most SF fans are very conservative.

20. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 05:57 OpticNerve

Haven't played the game but I've seen the show and it's pretty "meh." Now that I think about it though, Defiance bears a lot of very similar themes from another past-SyFy show called Eureka:

- Man stumbles upon a unique town full of eccentrics.
- Man has a rebellious daughter.
- Man ends up being the sheriff of this town.
- Man has a close flirty relationship with the town's head female.
- Man usually ends up solving or fixing the town's problems for the episode with his common-sense which no one else in the town has.

Eureka was fun in bursts if you wanted to turn off your brain for half an hour, but it quickly got repetitive and a bit boring. Although surprisingly, the show did run for a lot of seasons so Defiance could only hope to be as lucky.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

19. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 05:45 NKD

The show is decent. I rarely like a show in its first season as the actors have not grown into their characters and the producers haven't settled on a direction, but I've been enjoying Defiance so far. It also gets boosted by the fact that you have very few other choices on TV for sci-fi anymore. Take it where you can get it.

I haven't played the game. Seems like Third person shooter + GW2 + Rift from the videos I've seen from Total Biscuit and others. It's good to see a slightly more inventive mix of elements in an MMO instead of hotbar gear grind shitfest, even if it isn't amazing.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

18. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 04:09 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 03:40 Tanto Edge

.net_Drifter wrote on May 3, 2013, 01:51:
SlimRam wrote on May 2, 2013, 21:00:
I have not seen the show or played the game but I have been interested in both. I have been wondering if either or both would be worth trying.

After reading the comments on Blue's about the game and such, I think I have my answer...

...and that would be no...

To be fair, some on Blues seem to hate certain game types or game models out of principle, so I'd never take anything as though it were a WORD OF GOD type thing. Show's free, if you have cable, and it can be streamed from the website, so might as well give it a shot. If you don't like it after a few minutes, all you've lost is a little of your time. As for the game . . . at 60 bucks, no. 10.00 or maybe 20.00, if you like Borderlands . . . possibly. I've played it, and while it's not the worst game I've ever played, I've certainly played better. Third person borderlands is a reasonably close comparison, without the cartoony look, a bit of pop up, and some possibly worse textures in places.

No, the show is legitimately bad and the game I don't doubt it every bit as bad.

People on Blues may be jaded and cynical, but we have taste. And pros. And prose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

16. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 01:51 .Drifter

SlimRam wrote on May 2, 2013, 21:00:
I have not seen the show or played the game but I have been interested in both. I have been wondering if either or both would be worth trying.

After reading the comments on Blue's about the game and such, I think I have my answer...

...and that would be no...

To be fair, some on Blues seem to hate certain game types or game models out of principle, so I'd never take anything as though it were a WORD OF GOD type thing. Show's free, if you have cable, and it can be streamed from the website, so might as well give it a shot. If you don't like it after a few minutes, all you've lost is a little of your time. As for the game . . . at 60 bucks, no. 10.00 or maybe 20.00, if you like Borderlands . . . possibly. I've played it, and while it's not the worst game I've ever played, I've certainly played better. Third person borderlands is a reasonably close comparison, without the cartoony look, a bit of pop up, and some possibly worse textures in places.

15. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 01:47 Cutter

These could be accounts from the beta for all you know. That's why it means nothing unless they're talking about actual sales numbers and subs. This is just PR to cover it up. Now a show like Vikings, that's had a stellar first season. We'll see where Defiance ends up at the end of its.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 3, 2013, 01:15 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I give the game a 'meh'. It's okay shooter fare , but just not much to do thats interesting. Run..gun...press action..rinse, repeat.

The show is nothing spectacular, but far from horrible. Characters are amusing sci-fi cliches that are acted halfway decently. Overall, good turn your brain off fun, which is kind of the antithesis of sci-fi.

Also, hated when they cancelled Stargate Universe. It was just reaching the point where it was really getting interesting.

13. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 2, 2013, 23:19 Prez

My son has been playing Defiance a lot lately, and enjoys it quite a bit. He's called it Borderlands the MMO on more than one occasion. From what I have heard the show bears an uncanny resemblance to 'Falling Skies', giving it a bit of a 'been there, done that' feel.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Defiance Boasts a Million Accounts May 2, 2013, 23:12 dj LiTh

Sepharo wrote on May 2, 2013, 21:59:
I'm pissed that SyFy basically said they were getting out of the sci-fi show business, cancelled Stargate Universe and Caprica, but then came back a few years later with shittier sci-fi shows.

I had man tears when caprica was canceled..... as for ghost hunters i'm not into reality tv shows lol

11. Re: Now you see that evil will always triumph.. because good is dumb May 2, 2013, 22:10 Jack9

dj LiTh wrote on May 2, 2013, 20:10:
I hope the game is better then the show because i've never hated a show so much.

You're saying Ghost Hunters is less hateworthy...what's wrong with you?

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo