Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 3, 2013, 00:06 Creston

Verno wrote on May 2, 2013, 11:11:
Creston wrote on May 2, 2013, 10:56:
Yeah, that reeks of some big-time arrogance there. I'm stunned that Amazon would actively link a competitor's product rather than the one you were looking at. They must be really pissed at Nintendo.

Yeah I was surprised. I was trying to get back to the same page so I could screen shot it for you but stumbled onto some dude at Kotaku who did an article about it and saved me the trouble.

Apparently they're doing it with the Wii U as well. Nintendo must have really pissed in Amazons cornflakes, they usually do not do stuff like that.

Whoa doggie. Here's a hint, Nintendo: Don't piss off the company that will be the biggest freaking retailer in the entire world in 5 years.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 19:53 RollinThundr

Flatline wrote on May 2, 2013, 17:59:
RollinThundr wrote on May 2, 2013, 10:58:
Verno wrote on May 2, 2013, 09:19:
Nintendo really needs to repair its relationship with EA, they went from being all gungho Wii U previously to total disinterest. As much as I dislike EA, their sports titles are almost essential to console longevity. Nintendo has a similar beef going with Amazon and it's hurting 3DS sales as well.

I don't disagree along the lines of sports titles, hell they're the only reason I own a console at all. Though I wonder if the core sports gamer is buying a WiiU to begin with to be honest when the experience is so much better on the 360 or PS3 all around.

Ironically the WiiU is an awesome platform, in my mind at least, for games like football (US football) because you have two different screens and you can segregate information between the players.

Will the fidelity be as high? No never. But the tablet thing *should* be encouraging new, asymmetric play. And it's not. So really it's just an underpowered console that you can play without a TV.

Which has kinda been Nintendo's motif ever since the N64, put out a machine that's less powerful, and in the case of the Wii and WiiU substantially so, than your competition.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 19:12 Cutter

Petey is spot on in this one. There are already a ton of devices out there that do all the social stuff much better. It's cumbersome on a console. They really just need to stick to focusing on games. This has always been MS' biggest problem under Ballmer, no focus.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 18:02 Flatline

Asmo wrote on May 2, 2013, 17:38:
I think that's the first sensible thing Molyneux has said in years...

Yeah, as I've heard repeatedly from kids, facebook isn't where it's "at" because of the terrible, terrible interface on phones. It was pretty bad on the xbox too, to the point where I loaded it, grimaced, and never touched it. Ever again.

Shitty interfaces mean unused applications. Period. And I don't think Microsoft needs to reinvent the wheel by creating a smooth user experience in facebook.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 17:59 Flatline

RollinThundr wrote on May 2, 2013, 10:58:
Nintendo really needs to repair its relationship with EA, they went from being all gungho Wii U previously to total disinterest. As much as I dislike EA, their sports titles are almost essential to console longevity. Nintendo has a similar beef going with Amazon and it's hurting 3DS sales as well.

I don't disagree along the lines of sports titles, hell they're the only reason I own a console at all. Though I wonder if the core sports gamer is buying a WiiU to begin with to be honest when the experience is so much better on the 360 or PS3 all around.

Ironically the WiiU is an awesome platform, in my mind at least, for games like football (US football) because you have two different screens and you can segregate information between the players.

Will the fidelity be as high? No never. But the tablet thing *should* be encouraging new, asymmetric play. And it's not. So really it's just an underpowered console that you can play without a TV.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 17:38 Asmo

I think that's the first sensible thing Molyneux has said in years...  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 13:26 jdreyer

Sony execs give up bonuses.

So, they have red ink for years, and finally this year they're projected to make a profit, and they're giving up bonuses? Strange timing

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 12:04 Verno

Alamar wrote on May 2, 2013, 11:37:
I picked up my 3DSXL from Walmart a few months back, when Castlevania came out, for $30 off, so it doesn't sound so clear cut as Nintendo saying 'no'... And I see the price back up at $200, so it wasn't a price drop (across the board).

I'm assuming Amazon wanted to do some sort of specific promotion with Nintendo and Nintendo's response wasn't what they desired. I got my 3DS XL for like $150 at Target so I wonder if Amazon wanted some free pack-ins or something to entice people and Nintendo got surly. We'll probably never know but it's bizarre to see Amazon take such a stance.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 11:37 Alamar

I picked up my 3DSXL from Walmart a few months back, when Castlevania came out, for $30 off, so it doesn't sound so clear cut as Nintendo saying 'no'... And I see the price back up at $200, so it wasn't a price drop (across the board).

-Alamar

7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 11:11 Verno

Creston wrote on May 2, 2013, 10:56:
Yeah, that reeks of some big-time arrogance there. I'm stunned that Amazon would actively link a competitor's product rather than the one you were looking at. They must be really pissed at Nintendo.

Yeah I was surprised. I was trying to get back to the same page so I could screen shot it for you but stumbled onto some dude at Kotaku who did an article about it and saved me the trouble.

Apparently they're doing it with the Wii U as well. Nintendo must have really pissed in Amazons cornflakes, they usually do not do stuff like that.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 10:58 RollinThundr

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 10:56 Creston

Verno wrote on May 2, 2013, 09:40:
Anyway Nintendo has always been arrogant and they can't keep getting away with that in their newfound underdog role. You can't piss off the second largest potential source of sales for your systems/titles and the worlds largest publisher at the same time.

Creston

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 10:08 avianflu

very agreed -- just like you I have been waiting for the right price to get a 3dsxl, and from amazon.

I can see both sides for the businesses in question, but ultimately I would think Nintendo would partner with Amazon, the largest internet retailer on the planet.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 09:40 Verno

avianflu wrote on May 2, 2013, 09:33:
V, I hear that Amazon wanted to discount the prices of nintendo hardware by 10 bucks or so and Nintendo said "no." Amazon already does this with the Sony and MS consoles and it seems to benefit all concerned. Ultimately Nintendo is shooting itself in the foot when they do things like this because the demand for their current products isn't that great to warrant price-fixing (which is essentially what Nintendo is doing).

Interesting, I didn't know the origin of the dispute but I knew something weird was going on. I went to get a 3DS XL from Amazon last month and they tried to steer me toward a Vita with a little pop up saying "You might want to consider this portable console instead". That's highly irregular of Amazon to do but I just moved onto the selection page. Then I also noticed Amazon isn't selling the 3DS or XL directly anymore, they're just letting third parties do it who are of course marking up.

Anyway Nintendo has always been arrogant and they can't keep getting away with that in their newfound underdog role. You can't piss off the second largest potential source of sales for your systems/titles and the worlds largest publisher at the same time.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2013, 09:46.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 09:33 avianflu

V, I hear that Amazon wanted to discount the prices of nintendo hardware by 10 bucks or so and Nintendo said "no." Amazon already does this with the Sony and MS consoles and it seems to benefit all concerned. Ultimately Nintendo is shooting itself in the foot when they do things like this because the demand for their current products isn't that great to warrant price-fixing (which is essentially what Nintendo is doing).  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 09:19 Verno

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo