Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - FEZ

Steam News announces that Polytron's platformer FEZ is now available on Steam:

Gomez is a 2D creature living in a 2D world. Or is he? When the existence of a mysterious 3rd dimension is revealed to him, Gomez is sent out on a journey that will take him to the very end of time and space. Use your ability to navigate 3D structures from 4 distinct classic 2D perspectives. Explore a serene and beautiful open-ended world full of secrets, puzzles and hidden treasures. Unearth the mysteries of the past and discover the truth about reality and perception. Change your perspective and look at the world in a different way.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:37 Prez

As far as the game goes, it may be an irrational prejudice but I don't think I can stand to play any more 2d sidescrollers/platformers (even ones with cute shifting 3d-ish perspectives like 'FEZ'). I never was all that enamored with them to begin with, but now the glut of them flooding the market with the rise of the indie (with more coming every other day it seems) I can barely stand the sight of them. Then again, I said that before I played Terraria, and that game had a special something that kept me playing for dozens of hours. Maybe FEZ can do it again, but I am thinking Terraria was just an anomaly.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:35 nin

Keep in mind my overhead numbers are WAY overblown, the actual loss would be significantly less.

That paragraph perfectly outlines what I was saying: You, I, or anyone else outside of who worked on the game don't know the numbers. Your claim that "a couple of thousand dollars, er forty thousand dollars is just a drop in the bucket" is dubious, at best.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:26 Bradley

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:10:
I'm glad we established you were talking out of your ass.

Fine, you want to get more "mathy", I can do that. Let's work with my hypothetical understated number from the previous post of 1 million dollars incoming. Pretend he paid the sound guy $100,000. Visual studio costs $800 ($2000 if you buy an MSDN subsciption), but you can get away doing xbox development with the free version. I'll be generous and say he spend $50000 of development tools. That leaves $850,000. I have no idea how much a PAX trip costs, but lets pull a huge number out of my ass and say another $50,000. Down to $800,000. Let's blow $100,000 on office space even though that's a MASSIVE overestimate and that brings us down to $700,000. Let us also pretend that he split what's left evenly between the 3 developers you mentioned and that brings us to $233,333 dollars in profit for each developer pre-patch. At this point the patch will reduce each developer's share by 6%, or $13,980. Keep in mind my overhead numbers are WAY overblown, the actual loss would be significantly less. The developer is a douche.

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:24 DrEvil

Rhino wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:23:
Fish has made his feelings on the PC very well known. How can I, or anyone, possibly believe that he will have made a strong effort in this port, or in any post release support, if every indication is that he didn't particularly want to make it in the first place?

Because Phil Fish is the designer, not the programmer. The main programmer is Renaud Bédard, who is an excellent individual worthy of respect. His presentation on the technology behind Fez is well worth reading.

Other people worked on Fez, besides Phil Fish, and they deserve to have their work rewarded. I only hope that Renaud and the other people that worked on Fez will get a cut of the sales going forward.

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:16 Redmask

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:10:

I don't see how he is, the guy made a lot of money (both he and Microsoft crowed about its success), was all too happy to accept marketing from Microsoft and other sources then scoffed at having to pay for a patch, the details of which were included in his distribution contract. That's not even getting into his ridiculous public comments about how the pc platform was meant for spreadsheets and that his snowflake of a game was meant for TVs.

Maybe his customers will get lucky and he'll use some of his Steam money to patch the save bug in the Xbox version.

If other people want to ignore all of the crap surrounding this game and pick it up, well whatever its their money but I can totally see why people don't want to buy this, your money is your vote in this industry.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:15 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:06:
All that didn't cost enough to make me think he's not a douche for continuing to sell a broken product that he has no intention of fixing.
Perspective, I doubt you know where he's coming from. While it doesn't forgive things he said and did... Shipping a game is as far as I can tell the closest thing to having a kid, and when you share that with the world and any portion of that world thinks your kid is ugly or is stupid, you're going to protect it however you can, and probably over-react.
You have no way of knowing his intentions; Money easily could have been a dealbreaker. ~hopefully steam wont have that problem as patching shouldn't cost an arm and a leg (I believe it's free?)

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:10 nin

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:06:
nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:03:
So the tools to make the game, the people that worked on the game (he had one previous partner who left, as well as a second partner), the time it took to make the game, the guy that did the music, the office space it was created in, and the trips to PAX and other events all cost him nothing?

All that didn't cost enough to make me think he's not a douche for continuing to sell a broken product that he has no intention of fixing.

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:06 Bradley

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:03:
So the tools to make the game, the people that worked on the game (he had one previous partner who left, as well as a second partner), the time it took to make the game, the guy that did the music, the office space it was created in, and the trips to PAX and other events all cost him nothing?

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:03 nin

The game costs 800 Microsoft Points, which is $10 US (most other countries actually cost more). At $10 selling 200,000 copies is 2 million. Even if Microsoft takes 50% (they don't, but let's pretend that rest goes to taxes) that's still a million dollars.

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:00 Redmask

Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:59:
Phil Fish is a fucking douchebag asshole who I wouldn't piss on after a case of beer if he were burning, but I would still buy FEZ if it interested me in the slightest because I am a gamer. Sadly, it doesn't. It looks like crap. Of course, looks aren't everything, but it doesn't sound all that exciting either. Maybe I am missing something?

You're not, this guy got a lot of marketing from Microsoft and Giantbomb then used it to piss all over his potential customers. The game is really nothing special and he doesn't support his products so don't count on fixes for anything. This guy represents pretty much the opposite of everything I want the industry to be, indie or otherwise.

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:57 Bradley

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:48:
Two, the game has sold 200,000 copies as of last month. How exactly do you know he made "millions"?

The game costs 800 Microsoft Points, which is $10 US (most other countries actually cost more). At $10 selling 200,000 copies is 2 million. Even if Microsoft takes 50% (they don't, but let's pretend that rest goes to taxes) that's still a million dollars. OK, it's not "millions", but even at the (underestimated) 1 million, $40k is only 4% of the income.

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:55 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:37:
That's only part of the issue. He also has a really bad history of supporting the existing xbox version. After a patch that introduced new save game destroying bugs he public said that he wouldn't release a new patch to fix the problem because Microsoft would charge him a couple of thousand dollars. On a game that made him millions he wouldn't spend a few thousand to fix newly added bugs. If he refuses to support even his preferred platform properly, he sure isn't going to try very hard for the one he disdains.
MS takes some of the blame on that one; and I'd bet the steam release will get better support than XBL release.
Fez is huge, especially for an indie game. QA can be rough with TONS of people looking for and fixing bugs. I'm pretty sure Phil doesn't have many people that can help him out. Yes, this doesn't excuse issues, but I personally cut him a ton of slack. Crunch is pretty brutal guys, after shipping you don't really want to think much about the game. (That can depend on what you're working on)
The savegame bug on XBL was part of the reason I didn't play much on the 360. I didn't want my game erased.

I've been in Dev for a while, I guess it's easier for me to cut the guy some slack.

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:48 nin

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:37:
I have carried out tasks in my life that I wasn't especially interested in. As an example, accounting jobs. I wasn't terribly strong at accounting jobs because my heart just wasn't in them. On those jobs that I DO have an interest in, however, my performance is much stronger. It was the same with school before that, and damned near anything else on a daily basis. I would imagine that most are the same as myself and my family and friends.

Fish has made his feelings on the PC very well known. How can I, or anyone, possibly believe that he will have made a strong effort in this port, or in any post release support, if every indication is that he didn't particularly want to make it in the first place?

That's only part of the issue. He also has a really bad history of supporting the existing xbox version. After a patch that introduced new save game destroying bugs he public said that he wouldn't release a new patch to fix the problem because Microsoft would charge him a couple of thousand dollars. On a game that made him millions he wouldn't spend a few thousand to fix newly added bugs. If he refuses to support even his preferred platform properly, he sure isn't going to try very hard for the one he disdains.

OK, you need to back the truck up a bit. If you're going to tell the story, GET IT RIGHT.

First of all, the patch was $40,000, and not "a couple of thousand dollars" as you state.

Two, the game has sold 200,000 copies as of last month. How exactly do you know he made "millions"?

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:37 Bradley

I have carried out tasks in my life that I wasn't especially interested in. As an example, accounting jobs. I wasn't terribly strong at accounting jobs because my heart just wasn't in them. On those jobs that I DO have an interest in, however, my performance is much stronger. It was the same with school before that, and damned near anything else on a daily basis. I would imagine that most are the same as myself and my family and friends.

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:23 Rhino

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 22:14 raVen

Phil is just a guy, remember he doesn't have a PR firm behind him telling him what to say and what not to say.
People make mistakes, and people have different opinions than you. It's a pretty rad game IMO, I just wish we weren't in crunch so I could spend more time playing it.

I've finally bought everything I played or wanted to play on 360 on steam now. (yes, I bought it twice)

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 21:59 Prez

Phil Fish is a fucking douchebag asshole who I wouldn't piss on after a case of beer if he were burning, but I would still buy FEZ if it interested me in the slightest because I am a gamer. Sadly, it doesn't. It looks like crap. Of course, looks aren't everything, but it doesn't sound all that exciting either. Maybe I am missing something?  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 21:32 Bradley

jimnms wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:24:
It will probably eventually be on an indie bundle. Just wait and grab it then and give the money to charity instead.
I like your style.

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 21:24 jimnms

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:08:
I really wanted to play this when I first heard about it. But now that I know how much of a douche the developer is I'm going to have to think about it.

It will probably eventually be on an indie bundle. Just wait and grab it then and give the money to charity instead.

Steam Profile

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 21:21 nin

Ordered a few weeks ago - but it gets played after blood dragon!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo