Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - FEZ

Steam News announces that Polytron's platformer FEZ is now available on Steam:

Gomez is a 2D creature living in a 2D world. Or is he? When the existence of a mysterious 3rd dimension is revealed to him, Gomez is sent out on a journey that will take him to the very end of time and space. Use your ability to navigate 3D structures from 4 distinct classic 2D perspectives. Explore a serene and beautiful open-ended world full of secrets, puzzles and hidden treasures. Unearth the mysteries of the past and discover the truth about reality and perception. Change your perspective and look at the world in a different way.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 3, 2013, 10:43 Verno

Yeah I didn't like that one either but I watched their Minecraft one linked on the side and its totally spot on in calling out the community and Mojang.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 3, 2013, 09:57 Necrophob

Redmask wrote on May 3, 2013, 07:18:
The best review of Fez.

Fish does come off as a bit of a douche, and I find French Canadians annoying (Seline Dion), but that review was horrible. He objects to the cover art?

40. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 3, 2013, 07:18 Redmask

The best review of Fez.  

39. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 3, 2013, 06:00 Theo

Flatline wrote on May 2, 2013, 18:15:
The proper response here would have been to either roll the patch back or take FEZ off the XBLA. Microsoft shares some greed culpability here too, but so does the designer. He'll gladly take your money for a product he knows is broken (along with MS to be fair) and tell you "You're fucked motherfucker."

It's right along the edge of fraud really.

according to Microsoft they offered special terms to Fish re the patching as it was billed in a arcade promotion, no-one knows the details, but they released a press statement that basically said "we've tried to fix this, offered special terms - they still declined to resolve the situation".

Fish knew EXACTLY what the terms of being on XBLA are when he signed the deal, its not like it was a surprise to him - Microsoft marketed the game (xbox market place was full of adverts for it); then (allegedly) offered special terms to fix the situation and Fish still fucked over each and everyone of his customers on the platform that made him.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

38. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 18:15 Flatline

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:03:
The game costs 800 Microsoft Points, which is $10 US (most other countries actually cost more). At $10 selling 200,000 copies is 2 million. Even if Microsoft takes 50% (they don't, but let's pretend that rest goes to taxes) that's still a million dollars.

So the tools to make the game, the people that worked on the game (he had one previous partner who left, as well as a second partner), the time it took to make the game, the guy that did the music, the office space it was created in, and the trips to PAX and other events all cost him nothing?

To be fair, the guy, as head designer, made a calculated business risk. He got one free patch, just one, and he figured that he could make the game close enough to perfect in that one patch.

Then a game-crippling bug was introduced into the game. His business gamble fucked up hardcore. His response was essentially "y'all are fucked if I'm going to be financially responsible for fixing a massive mistake I allowed through"

He doesn't have a right to profit in his business. Period. Consumers have a reasonable expectation to get a product without game-crippling bugs, whether straight out of the gate or via patches. It's called acting in good faith.

The proper response here would have been to either roll the patch back or take FEZ off the XBLA. Microsoft shares some greed culpability here too, but so does the designer. He'll gladly take your money for a product he knows is broken (along with MS to be fair) and tell you "You're fucked motherfucker."

It's right along the edge of fraud really.

37. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 14:42 Theo

Verno wrote on May 2, 2013, 08:37:
As for Phil Fish and Fez, I'm torn because I like good games but it's hard to knowingly support such a tremendous douchebag who has basically spit on my favorite platform. On the flipside I guess most companies have a few of them so *shrug*

If it helps Verno, he spat on his release platform as well;

"hi the game has a massive save deleting crippling bug; we aren't patching it though because Microsoft charge for patches, something i of course knew before i released [something ive know since i got in bed with them]. enjoy the game."

he does not deserve to be supported, the guys a prick.

Cutter wrote on May 2, 2013, 01:02:
Do I sense the presence of Derek Smart in the building?

No Fez is a excellent game [unlike anything smart ever made], the game designer is just worth of a shoe to the arse.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

36. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 10:10 Rhino

DrEvil wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:24:
Rhino wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:23:
Fish has made his feelings on the PC very well known. How can I, or anyone, possibly believe that he will have made a strong effort in this port, or in any post release support, if every indication is that he didn't particularly want to make it in the first place?

Because Phil Fish is the designer, not the programmer. The main programmer is Renaud Bédard, who is an excellent individual worthy of respect. His presentation on the technology behind Fez is well worth reading.

Other people worked on Fez, besides Phil Fish, and they deserve to have their work rewarded. I only hope that Renaud and the other people that worked on Fez will get a cut of the sales going forward.

Very fair, certainly, and something that I deliberately didn't bring up because I simply didn't consider it important (though should have, clearly); and in spite of that I still have some concerns on that score: the guy in charge can still motivate and demotivate and if Fish's attitude remains 'Eh, we may as well, even if I don't particularly want to,' that CAN, and often does, affect the team. Going back to my workplace examples, I've had managers that absolutely did not give a flying frick about what they were doing, and that dragged down the work performance of the rest of the team as the motivation just wasn't there and that sort of attitude is infectious, as much as joy and excitement. Some of us still gave it our all; but others just began to internally check out as there was never any indication as to whether what they were doing mattered in the slightest. They began to just be there for the paycheck while they looked for a transfer or an external role.

-

35. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 08:37 Verno

I think some people are just tiring of 2D based games with sprite based characters and/or simplistic textures and models. It doesn't bother me personally but I've seen a lot of similar complaints on forums and I think it's just a condition of how far developed that side of the industry has become that it's raised expectations.

As for Phil Fish and Fez, I'm torn because I like good games but it's hard to knowingly support such a tremendous douchebag who has basically spit on my favorite platform. On the flipside I guess most companies have a few of them so *shrug*

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

34. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 07:56 eRe4s3r

Unless I played all 2D side scrollers of all genres and hated all of them. Which I did. I have never played a single 2D Side scrolling game of any kind that I liked.

Fighting games also are usually not 2D side scrollers. And the only fighting game I ever liked (One Must Fall 2097) wasn't doing a whole lot of side scrolling (The arenas in OMF 2097 were boxes) ^^

33. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 05:47 Jerykk

I don't understand how people can automatically dismiss a game simply because of its camera perspective. You can have 2D platformers. You can have 2D stealth games. You can have 2D beat-em-ups. You can have 2D exploration games. You can have 2D survival games. You can have 2D horror games. You can have 2D shooters. You can have 2D fighting games. There's a wide range of genres that can work with a 2D, side-scrolling perspective.

Saying you don't like side-scrollers is about as dumb as saying "I don't like first-person games," as if all first-person games belong to the same genre or something.

32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 05:07 eRe4s3r

Jerykk wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:50:
Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:59:
Phil Fish is a fucking douchebag asshole who I wouldn't piss on after a case of beer if he were burning, but I would still buy FEZ if it interested me in the slightest because I am a gamer. Sadly, it doesn't. It looks like crap. Of course, looks aren't everything, but it doesn't sound all that exciting either. Maybe I am missing something?

You don't like platformers or 2D games in general. 'nuff said.

Hardly a platformer, this is a slow paced puzzle game with some jumping involved. But most of it is puzzles.. and boring to boot. This has great style, but 0 substance.

But then, I don't like sidescrollers....

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 03:05 Tehol

Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:37:
As far as the game goes, it may be an irrational prejudice but I don't think I can stand to play any more 2d sidescrollers/platformers (even ones with cute shifting 3d-ish perspectives like 'FEZ'). I never was all that enamored with them to begin with, but now the glut of them flooding the market with the rise of the indie (with more coming every other day it seems) I can barely stand the sight of them. Then again, I said that before I played Terraria, and that game had a special something that kept me playing for dozens of hours. Maybe FEZ can do it again, but I am thinking Terraria was just an anomaly.

well said.
i hate platformer types. Pretty graphics helps but i still can play old rpg from 90's and be happy. i know that making rpg type game is a complex process and soul consuming for indie developers but for love of the God bring some variety in your ware or the whole movement will turn sour.

30. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 02:21 Gipson

lol, h4ters gonna h4te. i'll get it when its cheap.  

29. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 2, 2013, 01:02 Cutter

Do I sense the presence of Derek Smart in the building?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:55 raVen

Way to miss my point entirely.

Edit:
Looks like there are some issues that they're already working out patches for.
https://twitter.com/renaudbedard/status/329774338196791297

This comment was edited on May 2, 2013, 00:16.

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:52 Ladron3dfx

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/fez

On sale at GOG.com as well, DRM free. Scholar

Steamworks

26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:52 Bradley

raVen wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:44:
So, how much money have you donated lately Bradley? Are you a douche?

I developed an Android game that was originally for sale on the Play Store. It never got very popular and only sold a few hundred copies. It was one of the first Android games I wrote and at some point I lost the signing key, which means I could no longer update it. A few months later some bugs were found that I couldn't fix without the key. I choose to change the price and make the game Free. I also refunded all the money for the people who had bought the game. That version is no longer listed on the store, it's been replaced with a newer version that I can update again.

I don't really consider that donating though, I consider it good customer service. If you want to call that being a douche, go right ahead.

25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:50 Jerykk

Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 21:59:
Phil Fish is a fucking douchebag asshole who I wouldn't piss on after a case of beer if he were burning, but I would still buy FEZ if it interested me in the slightest because I am a gamer. Sadly, it doesn't. It looks like crap. Of course, looks aren't everything, but it doesn't sound all that exciting either. Maybe I am missing something?

You don't like platformers or 2D games in general. 'nuff said.

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:47 Bradley

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:35:
That paragraph perfectly outlines what I was saying: You, I, or anyone else outside of who worked on the game don't know the numbers. Your claim that "a couple of thousand dollars, er forty thousand dollars is just a drop in the bucket" is dubious, at best.

Which is why I used numbers that are, in some cases, 10x larger than what any reasonable person would estimate. I DO have software development experience, though it is business software, not games. I think that makes my initial baseline numbers at least within the realm of reality.

Even discounting the numbers completely, I'm still left with his attitude, which is not something I want to reward.

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FEZ May 1, 2013, 23:44 raVen

Bradley wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:26:
But you can get away doing xbox development with the free version.
Nope, only for the indie version of xbla, NOT the full XBLive.

So, how much money have you donated lately Bradley? Are you a douche?
To be honest it's not of my damn business, and Fez's finances are none of our damn business either. I hope it did enough that those who worked on it could work on another game. Which is usually the end goal here, or at least pay for all of the time it took to develop the game.

I don't know how long it was in dev, and could have cost way more than you think it did.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo