Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit

Perhaps inevitably, SEGA and Gearbox Software are named as defendants in a lawsuit over Aliens: Colonial Marines, the movie-based first-person shooter that met with a good deal of discontent after its recent release (thanks durandal). Polygon reports the suit was filed in the Northern District of California court by law firm Edelson LLC on behalf of plaintiff Damion Perrine, saying the game was falsely advertised. SEGA Europe has already received a scolding over how the visuals in the game did not live up to what was shown in prerelease trailers, and now this is being taken to the courts in the U.S. They offer the following excerpt from the court papers:

"Each of the 'actual gameplay' demonstrations purported to show consumers exactly what they would be buying: a cutting edge video game with very specific features and qualities," the claim reads. "Unfortunately for their fans, Defendants never told anyone consumers, industry critics, reviewers, or reporters that their 'actual gameplay' demonstration advertising campaign bore little resemblance to the retail product that would eventually be sold to a large community of unwitting purchasers."

View
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

43. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 15:02 thestryker

Two obvious comments regarding this: when's the last time you saw a fast food company sued over the fact that their ads never match the product and on the pc side it was largely fixed in the huge patch they put out. Near as I can tell the lawsuit is dead before it even starts, which is sorta a shame because this is the sort of crap companies get away with all of the time.

I'd like to think that issues like these in general have a big effect on public opinion, but the game still sold decently. Not to mention debacles like d3 and sim city haven't really deterred people, sure they complain, but a large chunk still buy the product. Last thing, the regarding preorders, I preorder things when there's a monetary incentive, for example I got xcom for $38 on release, otherwise I agree that there's rarely any point to preordering anything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 14:46 saluk

This is really stupid.  

41. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 14:37 DangerDog

Honey badger doesn't give a shit, and neither does randy pitchford.  

40. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 14:10 Krovven

TangledThorns wrote on May 1, 2013, 12:49:
I pre-ordered the game through greenmangaming and have yet to install it... FML. Oh and first world problems.

Seems like a waste. Why not judge the game for yourself instead of being influenced by what others say? You apparently did pay for the game after all.

If you want someone to play through coop with you, find me on Steam.

39. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 14:05 Krovven

As with others, I hope this class action suit does not go through. The only people that win with these types of grievances are the lawyers.

As far as ACM goes, I preordered the game and the seasons pass. Luckily I got them both very cheap and I ultimately have gotten my money's worth out of it. The demo video graphics to final game was a big difference and that was a disappointment. The 4gig patch greatly improved the visuals and performance throughout the game. The story was fine until they worked Hicks into it, which completely breaks continuity with the films. Ai has some issues, but again has been greatly improved in the 4gig patch. The game is best played on Ultimate Badass.

The level design, is consistent with the Aliens film. After having played the game a fair amount, and then going back and watching the movie again, they recreated the aesthetic look and floormap exactly like the movie. I can see why some people will take issue with them using a 1986 design and not upgrading it, but I like that they recreated it exactly how it was in the movie.

The game was rough the first time I played through it in the first couple days it was out. But, it was still a lot of fun since I was playing with 2 other friends and we were exploring every mission for the dog tags, weapons and easter eggs. Since the 4gig patch and the Bug Hunt DLC has come out, I've played through most of the campaign missions again doing Challenges and currently working on an Ultimate Badass playthrough when the mood strikes. I've also put probably 20+ hours into the Bug Hunt DLC (basically Nazi Zombies from CoD), which is a blast if you like that kind of gameplay. The multiplayer is also good, the aliens control well. Unfortunately the multiplayer game is dead because the matchmaking system doesn't work for shit. I'm hoping they resolve this and get a browser system for the patch they are working on, that seems to be overdue at this point.

The game isn't that great, but even bad games can still be fun. For me, ACM is one of them, a guilty pleasure if you will. I look forward to seeing what the upcoming patch and DLC will be (no we still don't know). To truly save the game though, several things need to happen, and I unfortunately doubt they will. Do away with the matchmaking system and get a browser system, free multiplayer weekend with an accompanying sale (like $20-$25 including Bug Hunt) and not as critical, but the new DLC better be as good as the Bug Hunt DLC was.

38. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 13:20 jdreyer

Creston wrote on May 1, 2013, 11:01:
Yeah, on the one hand I like seeing publishers (and developers) being held to task for their bullshit, but on the flipside, this guy is suing over 60 fucking dollars. How is this not immediately dismissed to small claims court?

Stop preordering, and you won't get hit by blatantly-lied-about games anymore.

Creston

Class action lawsuits usually work out great, for the defendant: "Gearbox loses lawsuit. The settlement will result in everyone who bought A:CM a $5 off coupon for Gearbox's next game."

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 13:10 jdreyer

Darks wrote on May 1, 2013, 09:02:
This will never stand, the game has video footage that was show as work in progress. and that means it is always subject to change.

Yeah, the video that everyone is pointing too was released A YEAR AND A HALF before the game came out. All the trailers that came out right before the game looked like ass, and looked pretty much like the game did. This lawsuit is kind of an abuse of the judicial system.

Now, I could see a lawsuit for all the bugs the game released with...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

36. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:49 TangledThorns

I pre-ordered the game through greenmangaming and have yet to install it... FML. Oh and first world problems.  

35. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:36 Creston

Drazula wrote on May 1, 2013, 12:03:
If this suit holds up then Valve is in trouble. In three Half-Life 2 releases, the player still can't push a table in front of a door to block it.

A table isn't heavy enough. Get a few steel drawers, and it'll block it just fine. I always used every set of steel drawers I could find to block entrances into the prison area, so the combine could only come at me from one angle.

/offtopic.

Creston

34. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:28 Xero

Am I the only one jealous that I didn't think of doing this first?? Lol, I bet everyone feels entitled to this lawsuit who bought the game (although I never did, haha). I want in on that koolaid! lol  

Currently playing: Skyrim

33. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:18 Cutter

Kajetan wrote on May 1, 2013, 11:50:
ViRGE wrote on May 1, 2013, 11:01:
But who does a class action suit help? It doesn't help consumers and it doesn't help publishers.

Why and why? It helps consumers to defend themselves against blatant false advertising claims and it will teach the publishers to be more careful when making a marketing campaign. Everybody wins.

Exactly, yes it's shitty the only ones who really make out are the goddamned lawyers, but that sort of punishment is the only kind corporations understand. Give them an inch and they take a mile. You need to nip that sort of shite in the bud.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:08 Despoiler

The thing is you can't just say "work in progress, subject to change" and have that be complete immunity to the BS they released. I think we all know that features get changed or stripped under time crunches, but this is something entirely beyond that. The shipped game looked completely different, in a bad way, from everything they demoed. Things like the AI were amazingly broken, but were touted to be the most amazing AI ever. What they did was show you and describe a Ferrari, but delivered a Yugo. Sure the Yugo is red and has Ferrari badges, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. I think this lawsuit has merit and has a good chance to succeed. My guess is they will try to settle with this one person to avoid class action.  

31. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 12:03 Drazula

If this suit holds up then Valve is in trouble. In three Half-Life 2 releases, the player still can't push a table in front of a door to block it.  

30. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:57 Jivaro

nin wrote on May 1, 2013, 11:54:
*snip*

I can't really disagree with that perspective. I have expressed similar views on different topics when members of the industry have behaved similarly. Their post release behavior did in fact make it worse.

29. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:54 nin

For me, it was good enough to simply not buy the game and I won't be buying any other Gearbox games until after I have already seen them in action. I don't feel the need to make Gearbox rub their noses in the proverbial dog shit.

Had they just fessed up and said "we fucked up, we're sorry, and we're going to do the best we can to fix it" I would totally agree with you. But instead they keep their head in the sand, and Randy gets bent out of shape and blocks people on twitter.

The man comes across as a total asshat who thinks he and his company can do no wrong (and in this case, did nothing wrong).

So (IMO) they deserve the negative attention they get. They earned it. If they're going to crow about how great it is, leading up to the release (and they did), they also need to take responsibility for their failures. And Randy refuses to do that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:50 Kajetan

But who does a class action suit help? It doesn't help consumers and it doesn't help publishers.
Why and why? It helps consumers to defend themselves against blatant false advertising claims and it will teach the publishers to be more careful when making a marketing campaign. Everybody wins.

27. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:48 Jivaro

Verno wrote on May 1, 2013, 09:26:
I hope this whole thing serves as a cautionary tale to both developers and publishers that they shouldn't just shove something out the door for the sake of shipping it. Sunken cost fallacy and all that, the bad press and negative associations here were not worth the meager sales.

Yeah, one can only hope. I mean, I tend to agree that the lawsuit itself doesn't have much chance of succeeding, but it will cause even more negative press. Then again, gamers have shown to be fickle. If there aren't any future sales numbers that indicate that gaming consumers will hold A:CM against Gearbox when it comes to future purchases, will this whole debacle really dissuade anyone or will it just be remembered as pushing the hype envelope a little too far for a game that fell quite a bit too short? I mean, did A:CM not sell well because it sucked or because of false advertising? Obviously because it sucked.

*shrug* I don't know. Just thinking out loud in a random stream of non-caffeinated thoughts. It just seems to me that while I agree with the premise that pre-release footage is subject to change, I also agree that if a company knowingly represents their game in a manner that makes it seem "technically" superior to it's actual release product, said company should face the same sort of consequences that any other company guilty of false advertising would face. The problem is the lack of definitions and precedent in this particular industry, and the overall difficulty of proving intentional "false advertising" just in general.

For me, it was good enough to simply not buy the game and I won't be buying any other Gearbox games until after I have already seen them in action. I don't feel the need to make Gearbox rub their noses in the proverbial dog shit.

( edit: Well, I did buy it for my step-son on XBOX. I don't personally own a copy. He begged me for it because he is such an Alien fan. He actually liked it despite all the problems. He admits that it is only because it Aliens though. Had it been generic sci-fi game #7009, he wouldn't have wanted it. He already traded it back in to Gamestop, which he never does...so I guess that says something as well. I have to wonder if it had been his 50-60 bucks instead of mine if he would be so forgiving..lol. )

This comment was edited on May 1, 2013, 11:55.

26. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:22 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:59:
It's likely they're not looking to get rich on this but punish Sega/Gearbox and open the way more easily for a class-action suit. Let's hope they win.

The lawyers don't mind them at all...

25. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:01 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:59:
It's likely they're not looking to get rich on this but punish Sega/Gearbox and open the way more easily for a class-action suit. Let's hope they win.

24. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:01 Creston

Verno wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:49:
Yeah I don't think they will have any luck with the lawsuit itself though I do like the idea of someone holding them accountable for that whole fiasco in general. That said I bought many shitty games over the years (fuck you Brink) and you just take it as lesson learned and try not to give that company your money again unless they really earn it.

Yeah, on the one hand I like seeing publishers (and developers) being held to task for their bullshit, but on the flipside, this guy is suing over 60 fucking dollars. How is this not immediately dismissed to small claims court?

Stop preordering, and you won't get hit by blatantly-lied-about games anymore.

Creston

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo