Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy May Day! It is certainly nice enough around here today to warrant a fine pagan celebration of the end of winter and the glory of spring. Today is also International Workers' Day, which is labor day in lots of countries, though not here in the U.S. where Labor Day was moved in the 19th century to avoid it seeming like a commemoration of the Haymarket affair, which was sort the labor movement's equivalent of the Kent State shootings. The weird thing that I never put together before? The Haymarket massacre and the Kent State shootings, each of which resulted in four civilian deaths, were on the same date 84 years apart, though it was May 4th, not May 1st. Something to keep in mind if someone invites you to a protest on Saturday.

May Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Link: Thanos Held Back Until "Avengers 3"?
Stories: Mexican official's daughter gets restaurant shut down over wrong table. Thanks MSN via reddit.
Indian arrested for letting son, 9, drive Ferrari.
DB Cooper parachute packer ID'd as homicide victim.
Science: Behind the Scenes of SpaceShipTwo's First Powered Flight. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
The Complex and Pathogen-Laden World of Ticks. Thanks Boing Boing.
Does antimatter fall up? Experiment could provide the answer.
Images: BIOSHOCK INFINITE #2 by ~argentinaland on deviantART. Thanks Kotaku.
Got a nice shot of my wife hitting a pole jam yesterday...in her Link costume.
Media: LEGO Breaking Bad concept video is pure genius.
Iron Man 3 Trailer Parody. Thanks reddit.
Faster & Furiouser.
Follow-Up: Why your streetlights won’t be replaced by glowing trees any time soon.
More than 20,000 people apply for one-way ticket to Mars.
The Funnies: Fun stuff.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 23:53 NegaDeath

Ratty wrote on May 1, 2013, 15:04:
In Star Trek they overestimated the amount of energy antimatter annihilation produces by many many orders of magnitude.

Something something Heisenberg compensator something deflector dish something reverse polarity etc etc space magic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 23:28 mag

Ratty wrote on May 1, 2013, 15:04:
Antimatter would make lousy weapons. In Star Trek they overestimated the amount of energy antimatter annihilation produces by many many orders of magnitude. It takes about 50 grams of antimatter to generate the same energy as a 1 Megaton hydrogen bomb. But the damage would be many times less cause most of the energy generated is neutrinos.

Not really true. You'll pretty much just get photons out, at 'low' collision energies. So, like, if you're chucking a ball of antimatter at speeds not close to the speed of light.

On the other hand, if you have the ability to fire something at them at close to the speed of light... hell. Just do that with normal matter. That's where most of the energy in the collision will come from.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 23:20 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:08:
Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 19:10:
Wow! After a few solid hours Blood Dragon is one of the best games ever made! It is the lulz! Roll every 80s sci-fi/action flick into a game and this is it! And it's huge! The whole thing just oozes character. The music is perfect! Even if it is only 15 hours - and I imagine that's without the sidequests and stuff - this game is an absolute steal at $15! Awesome as a possum!

So the Retro City Rampage of FPS?

I'm having a blast, so far. The writing is a riot, with all kinds of shoutouts...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 23:08 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 19:10:
Wow! After a few solid hours Blood Dragon is one of the best games ever made! It is the lulz! Roll every 80s sci-fi/action flick into a game and this is it! And it's huge! The whole thing just oozes character. The music is perfect! Even if it is only 15 hours - and I imagine that's without the sidequests and stuff - this game is an absolute steal at $15! Awesome as a possum!

So the Retro City Rampage of FPS?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 19:55 nin

Even if it is only 15 hours

I've heard 6-8, but I also explore a lot...

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 19:10 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 17:01 Hoop

Thanks Ratty,very informative.

My last visit I had a video ad start up in the top right corner, a local one for toilet cleaner of all things, which is fine I hope you get remunerated well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7COCBwJXc (There suffer along as well) This ad is very old FYI the actor is the fat Hobbit in the movie The Hobbit.
But then in a truely bizzare twist a woman gives a tutorial on how to juice a prickly pear.
It's the first of May over there right, the first of April was four weeks ago.

Oh now it's telling me I'm missing a plugin to play the video Oh damn & bother, oh woe is me, oh what a shame.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2013, 17:11.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 15:58 Cutter

OMG! I'm 15 minutes into Blood Dragon and I think this is the best 15 bucks I've ever spent...on anything! I am pissing my pants laughing. Any game that starts with Toronto getting nuked is pretty awesome in my book!

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 15:23 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2013, 14:16:

20,000 Darwin award candidates.

No way, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We're all going to die, sooner than later most likely, so the chance at a meaningful death like that would be glorious!

This is Major Tom to ground control....

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 15:05 Verno

jdreyer wrote on May 1, 2013, 14:16:

Hahaha indeed:

Ma Qing, a 39-year-old bookseller, said, "I think the chance to be part of the project is a cool way for me to change a dull daily life. Besides, the air on Mars must be much cleaner and easier to breathe."

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 15:04 Ratty

Hoop wrote on May 1, 2013, 12:38:
Does antimatter fall up?
Does it really matter?
Well to answer my own question as a matter of fact it does.
So that clears up that little matter.
To conclude here is a picture of the matterhorn.
http://goo.gl/sEkkl
Ignore the people in it they don't matter just concentrate on the Matterhorn.
I love antimatter. It was predicted from first principles by Dirac and then later confirmed experimentally. I always thought that was cool. Also cause it's so science-fictiony. Antimatter would make lousy weapons. In Star Trek they overestimated the amount of energy antimatter annihilation produces by many many orders of magnitude. It takes about 50 grams of antimatter to generate the same energy as a 1 Megaton hydrogen bomb. But the damage would be many times less cause most of the energy generated is neutrinos. 100% of physicists are certain antimatter does not fall up, because Einstein, rotting in his secret grave, demands that it falls down like everything else. But they would be remiss if they didn't test it.

The Matterhorn is cool too. It was my second favorite ride at Disneyland. Matterhorn is Swiss for "Chocolately Miss" on account of it looking like a Hershey's Kiss.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 14:16 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 13:45 jdreyer

Bioluminescent trees won't replace streetlights, because they don't gen enough light. But if you lined the roads with bioluminescent trees, they could provide enough light for you to demarcate the road. That could improve overall safety.

The main problem I see that by the time you grow such trees, all cars will be self-driving any way, navigating via infrared, GPS, and millimeter wave radar, so there won't be any need for such trees.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 12:38 Hoop

Does antimatter fall up?
Does it really matter?
Well to answer my own question as a matter of fact it does.
So that clears up that little matter.
To conclude here is a picture of the matterhorn.
http://goo.gl/sEkkl
Ignore the people in it they don't matter just concentrate on the Matterhorn.

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 12:17 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 1, 2013, 11:24:
When I was a wee lad on May Day, we would make a little flower basket with paper and put flowers on them. Then you would knock on the door of a girl you liked and run like hell. Then they were supposed to catch you and kiss you if they liked you.

ahhh...simpler times.

Great way to learn about rejection at a young age. Haha! Bats why haven't you pre-ordered Blood Dragon? Hurry only an hour left!

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 11:26 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on May 1, 2013, 09:34:
8" to 12" of snow in some parts of Colorado, 5-8 in Denver. Welcome to May!

Supposed to get another 2-6 in Mpls today or tomorrow.....I give up.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 11:24 xXBatmanXx

When I was a wee lad on May Day, we would make a little flower basket with paper and put flowers on them. Then you would knock on the door of a girl you liked and run like hell. Then they were supposed to catch you and kiss you if they liked you.

ahhh...simpler times.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 11:22 Cutter

Funny how you mention the struggle and plight of the working man and disenfranchised coupled with those 2 articles demonstrating the arrogance of the elites. At this rate bloody revolution around the globe is going to get a lot more common a lot sooner. Power to the people! Hang the rich!

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 11:20 Harlequin

Happy Beltane to all my fellow Wiccan and Pagan friends, the gods blessings on you!  

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 09:39 nin

Been mid to high 80s in Oklahoma...I wouldn't exactly call that "spring" either...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo