Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Neverwinter Open Beta

Perfect World Entertainment announces open beta testing is now underway in Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter, Cryptic Studios' upcoming MMORPG. Signups are underway at the game's official website. The game will be free to download and play, and with the promise of no further character wipes, this amounts to a soft launch:

The major milestone of Open Beta marks the beginning of unrestricted access to Neverwinter and its content creation system, the Foundry, along with no further character wipes. All skill upgrades, profession choices, personal customizations, companions and mounts are persistent and shape the way adventurers rebuild the city of Neverwinter, saving it from Valindra Shadowmantle's evil forces. Neverwinter's Foundry further enables and empowers gamers and authors to create their own unique adventures, publish their own self-generated content directly to the game world, review the missions and quests of others and even tip creators with in-game currency.

"After four successful Beta Weekends and many months of internal Alpha tests, we are thrilled to be in Open Beta," said Cryptic Studios Executive Producer and COO, Craig Zinkievich. "On behalf of the entire team at Perfect World and Cryptic Studios, I'd like to thank the Founders, Beta Weekend participants, Alpha testers, fans, and press for their feedback and continued support in making Neverwinter the best game we've ever launched."

Open Beta also brings a new feature to the Neverwinter community. Neverwinter's Gateway is a web portal that allows players to remotely access in-game status information via their desktops, tablets, or smartphones. In its initial state, players can craft, view their characters, buy and sell in the Auction House, monitor guild activity and daily events, and access their mailboxes.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 2, 2013, 07:14 Redmask

Darks wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:13:
So some of you don't like the game, that fine. but remember this to those who are still wanting to check it out. its all personal preference. Its a free game, and those who are trying to make it out to be a pay to play are just being dumb.

How about no? People aren't going to just 'be nice' to the video game to avoid hurting your feelings. It's a really mediocre MMORPG and as a D&D fan its almost insulting how basic and action oriented this game is in general. It sucks and people should be informed so that they don't waste time with it. Guild Wars 2 isn't my favorite all time game but comparing it to this piece of junk is ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 18:56 Julio

Quinn wrote on May 1, 2013, 13:30:
Servers unavailable :'(

I wonder if it's better to be 166,000th in line or just get servers unavailable

28. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 18:25 Asmo

So some of you don't like the game, that fine. but remember this to those who are still wanting to check it out. its all personal preference.

Nothing stopping them from checking it out, but we're entitled to our opinion.

In my not so humble opinion, it's a pile of junk. Linear (Cryptic's hallmark), far too easy (my 12 rogue was easily working over 16-18 orcs and ogres near Cloaktower), boring shallow classes (srsly, no fucking mace/shield cleric? just some ranged dickhead in a dress?), lacking complexity (you end up with a handful of spells/abilities compared to the literally hundreds of tabletop or DDO).

But yeah, you can pay 200+ bucks to join all the other Drizz't wannabes with a spider mount, a black panther and not enough in game currency to buy one of the higher level mounts on the shop...

The whole game is designed to soak the player of their cash without giving anything marginally entertaining in return.

The foundry is a neat idea but it's also a fucking easy/lazy way to get a bunch of user created content which they can then use to generate more revenue from customers... Do foundry DM's get any return for their maps? In game currency etc?

27. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 16:37 Flatline

Funny, how one guy here compares this to trying to be like GW2. sorry, but this game is nothing like it especially the combat. in fact the combat in this game is a hell of a lot more fun. Also why is it that no one here brought up the fact that GW2 does the exact same thing that this game is when it comes to buying items? If you need extra space GW2 also charges you for bags too. Crafting in NWO has bags that can be made. So there's no difference.

I can buy gems in GW2 with in-game cash or real world cash. My choice.

26. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 13:30 Quinn

Servers unavailable :'(  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

25. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 11:32 Axis

If it were a 'decent' D&D game I'd blow all my fanboy dough on it happily.

Unfortunately it's a terrible D&D game, and an average action mmo at best.

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 11:04 Verno

Internet opinion police constable ITT.

It's pretty but it's not as pretty or as high quality as Guild Wars 2 if you're wanting to compare graphics OR art style. Animations are NO where near as good as GW2. Armor design is OK, metal armors can look pretty good. It was pretty cool as a wizard to have a David Bowie "Labyrinth" orb but that's literally the ONLY weapon you'll see and each one looks exactly alike... a floaty see-through ball.

I wouldn't call it immersive at all, though. Everything is instanced and the instance design is very corridor-ish. Even the "open-world" areas feel claustrophobic because of this and it's extremely clear where the zone boundries are.

By all means though, try it. It looks nice enough.. my biggest gripe with it was how trivial and devoid of requiring thought the content is. Remember those immersion breaking glitter paths in Fable 2/3? Yeah... this game is full of them.

That about sums up my thoughts as well. I thought it was fairly ho-hum, run of the mill MMO stuff without much reason to choose it over others beyond the Foundry. Time will tell if the community can raise this from average to good.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

23. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 10:13 Darks

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 20:46:
I can't get the damn launcher to launch, let alone try to get into the game itself...

Its the queue problems that are causing the launcher to have issues. most of those have been resolved now. they are adding more server this morning. they had more people jumping on then they anticipated so the queue times got really large.

So some of you don't like the game, that fine. but remember this to those who are still wanting to check it out. its all personal preference. Its a free game, and those who are trying to make it out to be a pay to play are just being dumb.

First off how do you think this free to play game will survive and have added content if they are not making some kind of income?

I look at it like this, how many here paid for a monthly subscription on a MMO in the past or currently? then take that money and add it up for however many months you paid for that game.

So now you are playing the game and say you need a little more space, and spend 10 dollars for some Zen and buy a 24 slot bag. what is the difference here compared to other MMOs that charge you monthly?

Funny, how one guy here compares this to trying to be like GW2. sorry, but this game is nothing like it especially the combat. in fact the combat in this game is a hell of a lot more fun. Also why is it that no one here brought up the fact that GW2 does the exact same thing that this game is when it comes to buying items? If you need extra space GW2 also charges you for bags too. Crafting in NWO has bags that can be made. So there's no difference.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

22. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 09:56 Darks

Trevellian wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:43:
The game is mediocre at best.

It's only saving grace, and the only real reason to play the game, "The Foundry" isn't even implemented yet.

For those who haven't read a damn thing about the game, "The Foundry" is an editing tool that will allow DM's to create their own dungeons and story's for other people to play through.

That is the only thing I can see giving this game any longevity and it's not even ready yet.

You need to crawl out from under your rock, the foundry has been working for the past few betas. and mediocre at best? okay, you defiantly need to crawl out from under that rock you've been hiding under.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 08:15 Kawlisse

Trevellian wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:43:

It's only saving grace, and the only real reason to play the game, "The Foundry" isn't even implemented yet.

For those who haven't read a damn thing about the game, "The Foundry" is an editing tool that will allow DM's to create their own dungeons and story's for other people to play through.

That is the only thing I can see giving this game any longevity and it's not even ready yet.

What are you talking about, the foundry is implemented, I even started creating a dungeon yesterday !

20. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 06:50 El Pit

Queuing? It's a British game, then?  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 06:24 Julio

166,000th in the queue this morning. Maybe I'll try to get in again in a few days.  

18. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 06:21 ShakaUVM

Just uninstalled it. Not impressed in the slightest.  

17. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 00:05 WyldKat

LittleMe wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:58:
It's supposed to have a beautifully crafted and immersive world.. I know that doesn't make a game but, I hear people saying it's worth a single run-through. I'll try it.

From what I played...

It's pretty but it's not as pretty or as high quality as Guild Wars 2 if you're wanting to compare graphics OR art style. Animations are NO where near as good as GW2. Armor design is OK, metal armors can look pretty good. It was pretty cool as a wizard to have a David Bowie "Labyrinth" orb but that's literally the ONLY weapon you'll see and each one looks exactly alike... a floaty see-through ball.

I wouldn't call it immersive at all, though. Everything is instanced and the instance design is very corridor-ish. Even the "open-world" areas feel claustrophobic because of this and it's extremely clear where the zone boundries are.

By all means though, try it. It looks nice enough.. my biggest gripe with it was how trivial and devoid of requiring thought the content is. Remember those immersion breaking glitter paths in Fable 2/3? Yeah... this game is full of them.

16. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta Apr 30, 2013, 23:58 LittleMe

It's supposed to have a beautifully crafted and immersive world.. I know that doesn't make a game but, I hear people saying it's worth a single run-through. I'll try it.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

15. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta Apr 30, 2013, 23:43 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

14. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta Apr 30, 2013, 23:36 WyldKat

Riker wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 21:03:
I'm so jaded and fatigued with new MMOs these days. I haven't enjoyed an MMO since WoW. What's the consensus on this one?

I got bored with it in beta and was mostly unimpressed. The combat tries to be like GW2 but fails as being anywhere as fluid, or fun. Except for perhaps the ragdolls and knockbacks with some attacks... Seriously GW2...how come I can boot players off walls in WvW but not mobs in PVE? Grr..

Most importantly though, it doesn't feel like a D&D game at all. I know it's based on 4th Ed. and I'm told that's the "WoW" edition but they could have at least made the game more challenging. It's a breeze while solo and in a group it makes all of the content trivial. There's absolutely no scaling for groups... which you know, doing stuff in groups is kind of the point of D&D.

Story wise? It's boring, incredibly boring. The characters are forgettable as is the plot, it's simply an excuse to shuffle you from one instance to another.

The classes themselves are dulled down. Want a wizard that throws fireballs? Tough... you're stuck with a "control wizard" that has ice spells.

The cash shop also rears it's ugly head. Nearly every item you get has to be identified, how do you get identify scrolls? You might get lucky enough to get them as a drop but don't count on it, you must spend cash shop currency on the vast majority of them JUST to see if an item is an upgrade... This also means that in a group you are rolling on items without even knowing if it's an upgrade. So I'm sure that will be a blast when you have more than one of a class in a group.

I could go on but really the only saving grace to this game is the Foundry. Quite literally some of the Foundry missions are by far better than mostly all of the standard content.

If you were looking for a true D&D MMO, you'll likely be disappointed.

EDIT:... and I know you can "pray" to get a paltry amount of cash shop currency every hour, but you're capped at 20k per day and that's assuming you poopsock your prayers every hour on the hour and even then it's a paltry amount for what you have to pay for things.

This game REALLY should have just been a buy2play title with cosmetics/meager boosts ONLY on the cash shop instead of the mess they ended up with.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2013, 23:42.

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 30, 2013, 23:15 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 22:19:
guys, any game with a queue is junk and should not be supported. they should have 2x the necessary user capacity, not half.

I would love to agree, but face it (you can buttface it to) since the game is free a shitload of people simply wanna try it out and it won't be indicative of the actual gaming population once the fresh is worn off. That would be a lot of wasted $$$ to handle this temporary surge.

Also love that open beta moniker they give it, they have no problem you buying zen with real cash and buying virtual crap and they have the nerve to call it beta. As if they can use that card for any issue in game. How convenient for the white knights, no doubt.

12. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta Apr 30, 2013, 22:48 Mashiki Amiketo

loomy wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 22:19:
guys, any game with a queue is junk and should not be supported. they should have 2x the necessary user capacity, not half.
I'm guessing WoW falls into this right? Just how many years with 9 million plus subs have they had...

My biggest complaint, is that it's lagging the hell out of STO right now.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta Apr 30, 2013, 22:19 loomy

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo