Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Koninginnedag to Frans and all our Dutch friends, as today is Queen's Day in the Netherlands, celebrating the birthday of Queen Beatrix (which is actually in January, but she seems to have inherited her mom's date for Queen's Day along with the crown). Today will actually be the last Queen's Day for (hopefully) a long time, as Queen Beatrix is taking the opportunity to abdicate today, and her son Prince Willem-Alexander will take the throne (I'm not sure they actually have a throne, but I know I would). Next year the event will be King's Day (Koningsdag), to be held on the King's actual birthday of April 27th (apparently it being warm enough for outdoor activities influences the date for this), so it will be that much easier to associate the event with our anniversary, as MrsBlue and I have an affection for this occasion after getting to experience it during our honeymoon. Here's a live blog of today's festivities, and of course, long live the king!

Royal Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie Payback.
Links: Hot Docs premiere Unclaimed finds a Vietnam veteran left behind for 44 years. Thanks nin via Digg.
Stories: Sailendra Nath Roy dies in India ponytail stunt. Thanks brother19.
Japan and Russia want to finally end World War II, agree it is 'abnormal' not to.
A trippy idea or fiscal genius? Two pols idea to smoke away the deficit.
Science: Congress tries to reset science grants, wants every one to be “groundbreaking”.
Space coffee, just the way you like it. Real astronauts drink their coffee black. Thanks Slashdot.
Images: Treasure Trove of Empire Strikes Back photos will amaze you. Thanks nin.
Media: "Pacific Rim" WonderCon Trailer Online.
Destroy them with lasers!
Troop of Baboons Ransack a Home. Thanks nin.
Auction: Blizzard Employee Exclusive 10 Year Sword & Shield. Not cheap. Thanks Blizzplanet.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

42. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 18:53 Julio

Sadly the war on poverty is as effective as the war on drugs. Too much money sticks to people's pockets, and little goes to what makes an impact. Kind of like a lot of charities who spend a huge amount on operating costs, or do "awareness".  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 18:05 Steele Johnson

NewMaxx wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:28:
I'll be honest. When I was younger, all my friends (I refuse to include myself) smoked a lot of pot and (thanks to it being a gateway) other drugs. Now that we're all grown up and reliable adults, every last one has at least one autistic child. Coincidence? Certainly autism rates have skyrocketed. My theory? Recreational drug use.

They're also all suffering from conditions at a higher rate than the national average (everything from sleep apnea to strokes to autoimmune). Better diagnosis? No, probably the drugs again. The problem is that simply not enough studies have been done to properly analyze the long-term effects of drugs.

As I'm a scientist and can see 15+ years after the fact now, I can tell you it's pretty obvious. If I could only go back in time...and trust me when I say my friends feel the same. Now they add in a far higher than average cost to the medical system because they wanted to "just smoke a little weed."

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I don't buy the theory, only because I know people who have never done drugs in their life and have at least one autistic child, while I know people who have done mild recreational drugs for years and have perfectly normal children. Autism is most likely caused by something completely man-made, like something in food, water, medications, etc. Just like cancer. Most common cases of cancer are for the most part, a man-made disease. It's a side-effect from something unnatural. Anyone with common sense knows that by now. The reason you see more "Find a cure" campaigns and funding than "Prevent the disease" is because pharma companies can't make money off it. The cure to something like cancer or autism is "prevention", but big business is so tied into the government, it will never happen.

Put that in your mouth and eat it.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 17:42 jdreyer

As I'm a scientist and can see 15+ years after the fact now, I can tell you it's pretty obvious. If I could only go back in time...and trust me when I say my friends feel the same. Now they add in a far higher than average cost to the medical system because they wanted to "just smoke a little weed."

As a scientist, I would expect you to back up your claims with peer reviewed studies, not anecdotal evidence. You might be able to change minds if you did.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 17:41 Steele Johnson

I'm not sure I want to support legalization of weed in US. The government will take over, find ways to increase profit by sacrificing the health of the user. Just like they do with everything. Higher yields generally comes with a price, and the price in the case of something that's ingested or inhaled is the user's health. Humans created cancer, nature didn't.  

38. Tech support time Apr 30, 2013, 17:38 The Half Elf

So did my yearly cleaning out of the computer case and even pulled the CPU and redid the paste. Now I get power but can't get to the bios. Any ideas would help cause this nexus 7 ain't cutting it.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 17:25 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:28:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:14:
We've already spent $16 trillion on the "war on poverty" and things have only gotten worse. But keep on dreamin!

16 trillion? Lol! In what universe did that happen?

You obviously never heard of Carter's "War on Poverty". Just in the last year we passed $16 trillion total combating poverty in this nation and it's only higher now than it was when they started. While the spending rate goes up so does the poverty rate. This along with healthcare has far and away topped our spending for the last several years. Waaaay beyond military.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2013, 17:51.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 17:21 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 12:42:
Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 12:12:
Yeah I've never thought of weed as a gateway drug, if anything alcohol and influence from friends lead to me trying more exotic drugs in school.

Yeah, I can't speak for the population at large...but alcohol always seemed like the more "gateway" of supposed gateway drugs to me. When I was much younger, if I were out drinking with friends I was prone to doing the crazy shit we all don't tell our kids about until they are out of the house. When I was stoned with those same friends the evening were much more chill.

Obviously I don't single-handedly represent the "majority" of people, but I admit to having a struggle understanding how it would be much different for anybody else.

Actually, that's a great point. Alcohol impairs judgement. You are probably much more likely to try new drugs under the influence of alcohol than pot. It makes complete sense that alcohol would be the more dangerous gateway drug for that reason.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 17:18 jdreyer

Actually, there already is legal marijuana. It's any plant with less than 0.3% THC. Pot has other substances which have medicinal purposes, like cannabidiol. Here's a good article talking about some of the uses of legal strains of pot.

But I agree with the Prof: it's silly that MJ is illegal while the much more destructive alcohol is legal. And it's a cost on society to have law enforcement enforce the laws and otherwise law-abiding citizens' lives ruined when they're arrested for use. And I say this as a complete non-user of the stuff.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 16:14 mag

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:39:
In fact they're thinking autism is connected to innoculation shots being administered to children who are too young.

No. Furious

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2013, 16:19.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 14:31 Bodolza

Why are you talking about high schoolers? The majority of this country are not kids looking to get buzzed.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 14:23 PHJF

Of course they will. It's still illegal just about everywhere, and plenty of American's don't like breaking federal laws.

Oh yeah and all those high school kids getting drunk at weekend parties are all SO TERRIFIED of upsetting law men.

Newsflash, any normal high school experience involves some opportunity to smoke weed.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 14:13 Beamer

I'll be honest. When I was younger, all my friends (I refuse to include myself) smoked a lot of pot and (thanks to it being a gateway) other drugs. Now that we're all grown up and reliable adults, every last one has at least one autistic child. Coincidence? Certainly autism rates have skyrocketed. My theory? Recreational drug use.

They're also all suffering from conditions at a higher rate than the national average (everything from sleep apnea to strokes to autoimmune). Better diagnosis? No, probably the drugs again. The problem is that simply not enough studies have been done to properly analyze the long-term effects of drugs.

Yeah, sorry dude. You and your buddies have a lot more in common than just using drugs.

And this is coming from a guy that's never even smoked a cigarette, let alone anything harder.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 14:11 Mr. Tact

As I'm a scientist and can see 15+ years after the fact now, I can tell you it's pretty obvious.
Uh, I hope your work as a scientist is a bit more rigorous. There is anecdotal evidence pointing at lots of things, it doesn't make it so.

As for the comparison of legalizing pot to the alcohol's return after prohibition, that is certainly the best case scenario. Is it an accurate prediction? I wouldn't bet my home on it.

I agree, nin. As I understand it, vaccination leading to autism has been debunked.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 14:05 Bodolza

PHJF wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 11:12:
No more people will use weed when (and it is WHEN) it is legalized than use it now.

Of course they will. It's still illegal just about everywhere, and plenty of American's don't like breaking federal laws. If it stops being illegal millions more will decide to try it just because they can.

Usage will sky-rocket. The question is, do we care? I personally don't, as long as we have the same prohibitions that we do against normal smoking (i.e. not in public places or in buildings).

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 13:54 eRe4s3r

Could also be more strange shit in the water and food we drink/eat  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 13:42 nin

And no pre-load for Blood Dragon? W?T?F?!?!?

Just sent Blue a batch of reviews - embargo must have been noon CST. All are positive.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 13:40 Cutter

Oh yeah, just wanted to say Eador: MOTBW kicks ass! Buy it if you're down with the sickness!

And no pre-load for Blood Dragon? W?T?F?!?!?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 13:40 nin

In all fairness, it could be any number of things: drug use, more doctors looking for it, or even a change in the definition of autism from a clinical perspective. Or something else completely unrelated.

In fact they're thinking autism is connected to innoculation shots

I was under the impression that had been ruled out, with the exception of Jenny McCarthy.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 13:39 Cutter

No, it has sweet FA to do with drug use. In fact they're thinking autism is connected to innoculation shots being administered to children who are too young. I have plenty of friends who have plenty of kids and they all did plenty of drugs and there's nary a problem.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 13:37 Verno

I don't know, as a scientist you already know correlation isn't necessarily causation and that autism has been linked to many factors over the years. I haven't smoked pot in a long time so please don't mistake me as a "defender" of it because whether its legalized or not doesn't really affect me, that said your anecdote is the complete reverse of my situation where all of us have happy, healthy children and I'd consider most of us fairly successful.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo