Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Koninginnedag to Frans and all our Dutch friends, as today is Queen's Day in the Netherlands, celebrating the birthday of Queen Beatrix (which is actually in January, but she seems to have inherited her mom's date for Queen's Day along with the crown). Today will actually be the last Queen's Day for (hopefully) a long time, as Queen Beatrix is taking the opportunity to abdicate today, and her son Prince Willem-Alexander will take the throne (I'm not sure they actually have a throne, but I know I would). Next year the event will be King's Day (Koningsdag), to be held on the King's actual birthday of April 27th (apparently it being warm enough for outdoor activities influences the date for this), so it will be that much easier to associate the event with our anniversary, as MrsBlue and I have an affection for this occasion after getting to experience it during our honeymoon. Here's a live blog of today's festivities, and of course, long live the king!

Royal Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie Payback.
Links: Hot Docs premiere Unclaimed finds a Vietnam veteran left behind for 44 years. Thanks nin via Digg.
Stories: Sailendra Nath Roy dies in India ponytail stunt. Thanks brother19.
Japan and Russia want to finally end World War II, agree it is 'abnormal' not to.
A trippy idea or fiscal genius? Two pols idea to smoke away the deficit.
Science: Congress tries to reset science grants, wants every one to be “groundbreaking”.
Space coffee, just the way you like it. Real astronauts drink their coffee black. Thanks Slashdot.
Images: Treasure Trove of Empire Strikes Back photos will amaze you. Thanks nin.
Media: "Pacific Rim" WonderCon Trailer Online.
Destroy them with lasers!
Troop of Baboons Ransack a Home. Thanks nin.
Auction: Blizzard Employee Exclusive 10 Year Sword & Shield. Not cheap. Thanks Blizzplanet.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2013, 23:04 FU

Anecdotal at best wackadoodles I tell ya

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2013, 21:36 Mr. Tact

I heard there's a movie about Tony Stark saving the world, obviously it must be true.

Sarcasm aside, I'll say what the NY Times did when reviewing the film. Even if it was true, the math wouldn't justify not giving the vaccines to children. Doing that would result in so much suffering from widespread measles, mumps and chickenpox that autism would seem heaven sent. And since repeated studies have shown no correlation saying otherwise amounts to simple FUD, although to what purpose I don't understand.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

60. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2013, 18:48 FU

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 17:42:
NewMaxx wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:28:

As I'm a scientist and can see 15+ years

As a scientist, I would expect you to back up your claims with peer reviewed studies, not anecdotal evidence. You might be able to change minds if you did.

Some of the best discovery's in science was anecdotal at one point. Its up to you if you prefer to wait for western medicine to concur with what you already know.

For years my grandmother knew chicken soup help with a cold. Didn't need science to concur.

"The greater good" is a great Doc about vaccines. At least space those bad boys out. Don't follow the herd mentality.

http://www.greatergoodmovie.org/#!wp-video-lightbox/0/

This comment was edited on May 2, 2013, 18:55.

59. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 14:04 jdreyer

Basically what Vern said. The anti-vaccine scare is having real results. There's an outbreak in Britain of over 1000 cases.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

58. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 10:18 Verno

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 21:16:
mag wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 16:14:
Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:39:
In fact they're thinking autism is connected to innoculation shots being administered to children who are too young.

No. Furious

Yes. Fact. You have proof otherwise? The world would love to hear it.

There was never any real, consolidated opinion from the scientific community about this. It was one of those things that picked up steam thanks to people blindly believing anonymous sources and largely proliferated thanks to the internet, one fake study and paranoid parents seeking a root cause/cure for something that is barely understood.

I notice you haven't shown yourself since posting this silliness either and that's disappointing, at least own your statements.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2013, 10:54.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

57. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 08:54 Mr. Tact

Good luck in resolving your problems, Half Elf.

I've recently been considering doing a preemptive replacement of the power supply in my work PC. I've already replaced the memory (upgraded from 1G to 4G) and the hard drive. The PC is nearing it's 7th birthday, and while having it die wouldn't cause a great loss in of itself -- I simply want to avoid the hassle it would cause...

56. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 07:26 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 21:45:

There is a lot of proof otherwise and for someone who claims to have facts on their side, you haven't posted any yet. You're repeating old television sound bites and rumors, there was never any real scientific ground for the belief that vaccination in children was linked to autism, just some haphazard pattern group studies from dubious sources.

Not even dubious - the scientist behind the studies admitted he falsified them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

55. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 04:03 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on May 1, 2013, 00:25:
The "vaccine causes autism" movement has less science behind it than the movement to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide Wink . At least the latter can be verified in a lab that it can harm people.

Dihydrogen monoxide can be fatal in doses of only three times a normal dose. The stuff is extremely dangerous and should be outlawed. It's criminal that most gov'ts provide the stuff free of charge.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

54. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 01:34 The Half Elf

Well I think I narrowed it down to 2 options. Noticed a black spot on (looks like it,s burned out) on a black wire on a 4 pin that plugs into the power spot on the motherboard for the CPU. Or the motherboard finally bit the big one. I have a MSI 7340 sli motherboard and a Intel duo core 8400. Think I'll just go ahead and replace the mb and CPU and ram in a few weeks. Ugh
If anyone can check out microcenter.com and guide me towards a CPU mb and ram for under 400-450 I'd appreciate it.

Stupid tablet.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

53. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 01:31 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 11:10:
InBlack wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 10:59:
Legalizing booze brought down the gangs or at least forced them to shift to other illegal ventures it allowed the government to get a grip on a huge problem.

That doesn't happen in a vacuum, though. The congressmen can describe the "gateway drug" theory as a red herring, but it's a genuine effect. When the Netherlands legalized soft drugs, the use of hardcore drugs went up considerably, and with that came the Russian and (former) Yugoslavian maffia that for awhile controlled basically the entire hardcore drug market. And they were the kind of hardcore criminals that you normally only see in movies, and which the Dutch police and investigators were wholly unprepared to deal with.

I have to admit I haven't looked into it and you seem much more knowledgeable about it, but I don't think those two are connected. Probably just two different events; marijuana was legalized, Eastern Europeans started selling hard drugs.

52. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2013, 00:25 NegaDeath

The "vaccine causes autism" movement has less science behind it than the movement to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide Wink . At least the latter can be verified in a lab that it can harm people.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2013, 00:34.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:55 Mr. Tact

Cutter, your signature suddenly seems much more appropriate than I previously thought...
"Are you crazy? Is that your problem?" - Jack Burton

50. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:45 Redmask

There is a lot of proof otherwise and for someone who claims to have facts on their side, you haven't posted any yet. You're repeating old television sound bites and rumors, there was never any real scientific ground for the belief that vaccination in children was linked to autism, just some haphazard pattern group studies from dubious sources.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:34 nin

In fact they're thinking autism is connected to innoculation shots being administered to children who are too young.

No. Furious

Google is your friend...

edit: Here are more links

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2013, 21:40.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

48. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:25 Mr. Tact

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 18:05:
Most common cases of cancer are for the most part, a man-made disease. It's a side-effect from something unnatural. Anyone with common sense knows that by now.
I think you are confusing man-caused activities which increase the chances of getting cancer with the cause of cancer. For instance, smoking tobacco increasing the chances of contracting lung cancer. Cancer is a normal biological process gone bad. While self initiated activities can increase the chances of cells doing this, cancer is not dependent on them. People who never smoked might get lung cancer. And someone who smokes 3 packs a day may live to 80 without ever getting lung cancer. However, over large populations, smokers will get lung cancer more often.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:16 Cutter

No. Furious

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

46. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:15 Mad Max RW

Julio wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 18:53:
Sadly the war on poverty is as effective as the war on drugs. Too much money sticks to people's pockets, and little goes to what makes an impact. Kind of like a lot of charities who spend a huge amount on operating costs, or do "awareness".

The thing with charities is they are built on money given to them willingly. You aren't forced to donate and there's so many charities you can research then pick and chose before giving. The war on poverty/drugs/terror is funded through taxes. Nobody has a choice.

Cutter, you're a child. Turn off the tv.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 21:14 Cutter

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 17:25:
Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:28:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 13:14:
We've already spent $16 trillion on the "war on poverty" and things have only gotten worse. But keep on dreamin!

16 trillion? Lol! In what universe did that happen?

You obviously never heard of Carter's "War on Poverty". Just in the last year we passed $16 trillion total combating poverty in this nation and it's only higher now than it was when they started. While the spending rate goes up so does the poverty rate. This along with healthcare has far and away topped our spending for the last several years. Waaaay beyond military.

You know, because Hannity and Faux News claim it doesn't make it true. All the right-wing rags out there are claiming it's now 20 trillion! And yet not a single one can show ANY evidence of this. The spending is not even remotely close to that. And the [url=http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/wait-were-winning-the-war-on-poverty-a-new-study-says-absolutely/262371/]facts are it's money well spent/url]. In fact, the US needs to more, much, much more.

16 trillion? Jesus, there'd be no poverty on the entire planet with that amount spent to eliminate it.
Rolleyes

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

44. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2013, 19:30 Cyanotetyphas

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 17:41:
Humans created cancer, nature didn't.

Nope. Cancer is a natural consequence of living longer and not dying of other things.

Of course it does occur in younger people occasionally due to bad luck. Most of the times it's their genetics.

Here's a confirmed case of cancer 2250 years ago.
Science Article on Mummy Prostate Cancer

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

43. Re: Tech support time Apr 30, 2013, 19:19 NegaDeath

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 17:38:
So did my yearly cleaning out of the computer case and even pulled the CPU and redid the paste. Now I get power but can't get to the bios. Any ideas would help cause this nexus 7 ain't cutting it.

Are you sure when you put it back together that the mobo circuitry isn't accidentally touching the case anywhere and thus shorting out? I did that once, took me hours to figure out why it wouldn't boot and then had my "doh" moment.

I'd suggest resetting the cmos with the jumper but if you know how to redo thermal paste I assume you know that already.

Did you find any loose little capacitors laying around that might have been knocked off?

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo